BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I know they've started doing ceiling ads on buses, I noticed some on a couple RTSes...could be related.

This is the ceiling decal in question. Glad I got a shot of it when 1232 returned.

DSC05708.jpg

I still think its something for style. There are no ads on the ceiling. I think its a GH thing because I've never noticed these on these buses pre-SBS

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. S44 missed the ferry by a couple of minutes. I told my mom to hurry up, but she didn't and we missed the earlier bus that would've made the 9AM ferry. So we ended up having to wait for the 9:30 ferry. Stupid traffic lights, especially in the Port Richmond area.

If I had known that she was going to take her time, I would've walked to the S62. It's supposed to get there at 9:01AM, but there are fewer traffic lights along the route, so the bus would likely catch the ferry.

Going back, we took the S62, and I thought "There's only a few people who got on at the ferry, so this should be a fast ride". Boy, was I wrong. I almost regret not having taken the S44.

Going back, we took the S62, and I thought "There's only a few people who got on at the ferry, so this should be a fast ride". Boy, was I wrong. I almost regret not having taken the S44.

NEVER assume that! I thought the same thing about the several times I took the S66 and I lucked out twice. Today had to be the worst because there was a missing S40 and people started stockpiling onto the S66. The benefit of this was that the driver was hauling some serious ass along the way.

NEVER assume that! I thought the same thing about the several times I took the S66 and I lucked out twice. Today had to be the worst because there was a missing S40 and people started stockpiling onto the S66. The benefit of this was that the driver was hauling some serious ass along the way.

The thing is that the S62 usually is the faster route, because Victory Blvd tends to have fewer traffic lights. The problem is that sometimes the S62 hits traffic between say, Slosson Avenue and Jewett Avenue, which was the case here (and it didn't help that we were behind an S61 until we hit Forest Avenue, so we had to drive slow to make sure we didn't bypass anybody who wanted the S62 instead of the S61).

But that's why I said "almost" regret it. The only time the S44 would realistically be faster is if the B/O has a lead foot and the lights line up well. (Like I said, especially in the Port Richmond area, there are a ton of lights).

Was the thing with the S40 & S66 at St. George or Port Richmond? :wacko: My first instinct would be to walk down to the S46. As slow as it is, it's got to be faster than the S66.

The thing is that the S62 usually is the faster route, because Victory Blvd tends to have fewer traffic lights. The problem is that sometimes the S62 hits traffic between say, Slosson Avenue and Jewett Avenue, which was the case here (and it didn't help that we were behind an S61 until we hit Forest Avenue, so we had to drive slow to make sure we didn't bypass anybody who wanted the S62 instead of the S61).

But that's why I said "almost" regret it. The only time the S44 would realistically be faster is if the B/O has a lead foot and the lights line up well. (Like I said, especially in the Port Richmond area, there are a ton of lights).

Was the thing with the S40 & S66 at St. George or Port Richmond? :wacko: My first instinct would be to walk down to the S46. As slow as it is, it's got to be faster than the S66.

St. George. The 46 left and my 66 started boarding after (it was 2-3 minutes late).

I was in the mess that is 165 Street Terminal the other day, and I noticed that the Q8 dosen't have that many buses going full route to Gateway Center? Why is this?

The short-turned buses are needed for the heavily congest portion of the route during rush hours on the Q8, and naturally the Euclid Avenue train station is a prime reason to short-turn buses - to handle loads going in the other direction as the trains discharge, especially during the PM rush. This also creates better frequency in both directions.

Rode a Bee-Line for the first time today. Can't believe it took me this long, but I've just gotten OGs and NGs and RTSes every other time. Got 102. And I have to say, I'm sure of them are really messed up, but this thing ran perfectly. Ride wasn't too bad, crucially the A/C worked, and the bus had plenty of power even going uphill. I'm surprised at you, LGA! Really good bus.

Any of you are ever in the Village, gotta be careful crossing 8th st. at 5th ave. My mom used to always tell me this back when I was a kid, finally saw proof of what she was saying today. M3 just hit a middle-aged man from what I saw of him, not a very happy scene. Ambulance just left, I didn't see any blood so hopefully he's alright, looked awful for everybody around though. The B/O looked like he was gonna have a nervous breakdown, felt awful for him but I'm not sure whose fault it was in the end. Hope everybody's alright though.

ok so yesterday i rode xd40 4843....and boyy i tell you that bus has sound effects of a LFS zf transmission and allison b400r with some rubbling between gears....if any of you can find this bus on the b1 b3 b6 b36 b64 or b74 please get a video or recording! has nice sound effects...and when we arrived at west 5 and brighton ave under the train on the b36 the HVAC turned off...bus got all quiet and all i heard was beauutiful engine and transmission!!! that made my day!! when is the best time to catch a bus with the HVAC off?? winter time?

It seems like reverse-peak S89 ridership is increasing. My bus had 14 people as it pulled into Forest Avenue. Not great, but not terrible for reverse-peak ridership (the S48 transfer is more popular than the S46 transfer, so I'll assume only a couple of people transferred to the S46, since only 3 people transferred to the S48)

It's weird. Some days it has like 3 riders and other days it has 15 riders.

Yesterday as I was coming from a union meeting, I saw an RTS on the corner of 125th and Lexington (first stop on the M35) with caution tape around the front of it. I figured it hit someone so i didn't think twice of it. Today I come into work today and find out the someone got stabbed 21 times on that bus yesterday...