BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do any of the other BMs use Woodhaven Blvd and Cross Bay to deadhead into Manhattan or just the BM5? 

Anything coming out of the depot in the PM towards Midtown runs via Linden and Woodhaven Blvd. They take the bridge (getting off after Greenpoint). DH's to Downtown run more or less the former BM2S route.

Anything coming out of the depot in the PM towards Midtown runs via Linden and Woodhaven Blvd. They take the bridge (getting off after Greenpoint). DH's to Downtown run more or less the former BM2S route.

I've been seeing alot of SC MCIs with signs for the BM2 AND 3 deadheading down Woodhaven and that was my logical assumption.

#Learn something new everyday

I just saw a B15 short turn with an Air Train-Lefferts Blvd sign.I didn't know they had on of those...

But real talk they need to add a northbound shortturn to Sutter Av-Rutland Rd (3) train Station.That would be more effective than the Pennsylvania Ave Shortturns IMO.

This comment chain got a laugh out of me from the NYC reddit. The OP was a photo collage of NIS buses and Kevin Hart faces.

Literally me waiting for the 12 @ Pelham Parkway WPR.

[–]

20 hours ago  

WPR?

[–]

17 hours ago  

White Plains Road

[–

17 hours ago  

Ah, but there's a 12 like every 5 minutes.

[–]

15 hours ago  

The local 12.

[–]

13 hours ago  

Whoa. People still use the "local 12." TIL.

Edited by JubaionBx12+SBS

So there's two MTA people with vests at 3 Avenue & 38 Street (one is by the QM31/QM35/QM36 bus stop & the other is at the QM34/QM40/QM42 stop), observing riders getting on the bus. Wonder what they're doing there (they seem to be doing nothing else; they have no clipboards or anything else).

So there's two MTA people with vests at 3 Avenue & 38 Street (one is by the QM31/QM35/QM36 bus stop & the other is at the QM34/QM40/QM42 stop), observing riders getting on the bus. Wonder what they're doing there (they seem to be doing nothing else; they have no clipboards or anything else).

They could just be observing the "new" routes and making sure everything works smoothly.

When the B37 came back, they had MTA people with vests going up and down Third Avenue in the 70's and 80's to make sure everything was going smoothly

They could just be observing the "new" routes and making sure everything works smoothly.

When the B37 came back, they had MTA people with vests going up and down Third Avenue in the 70's and 80's to make sure everything was going smoothly

I guess, but I didn't see people at the other stops at all. Also, it's almost two months in for most of these changes, people should be accustomed to these changes by now.

Side note: One can now track 2919.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/planned_servChanges_QM2_QM4_QM5_QM6_QM15_BM5.htm

When they see that weekend ridership goes down on all these lines this year and next year, they shouldn't be surprised. Why they can't reroute buses via the Queensboro Bridge is beyond me.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/planned_servChanges_QM2_QM4_QM5_QM6_QM15_BM5.htm

When they see that weekend ridership goes down on all these lines this year and next year, they shouldn't be surprised. Why they can't reroute buses via the Queensboro Bridge is beyond me.

They really need to restructure weekend service completely 

They really need to restructure weekend service completely 

I've mentioned it before, but the BM5, QM4, QM5,  QM6, and QM15 need to run up Queens Boulevard to the Queensboro Bridge (inbound only; until about 8 PM) because between those times, going inbound through the tunnel will mean an unexpected amount of time in the 1/2 mile or so approaching the toll gate. Yesterday was so bad the delays stretched all the way to Maspeth. During those times, the QM2 would operate via Northern instead of via the LIE. 

I would also advise express bus riders to call and contact their representatives and bombard the MTA with complaints , because the MTA is just letting these things happen, even though there are better alternatives to this. It's almost as if they purposely want to bring down ridership as much as possible. Like I said, I have no problem with making repairs; I understand that it's necessary. I have a problem with what the MTA is doing for express bus riders in this situation (which is almost nothing).

Compare the traffic flow near & around the Queensboro and the QMT by looking at the cameras on 511NY:

https://511ny.org/list/cctv?start=0&length=10&order%5Bi%5D=&order%5Bdir%5D=&search=Queensboro+Brid 

https://511ny.org/list/cctv?start=0&length=10&order%5Bi%5D=&order%5Bdir%5D=&search=Queens+Midtown

The Queensboro is congested too, but if you look for a while, you'll see that traffic is moving much faster than at the tunnel approach.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

I've mentioned it before, but the BM5, QM4, QM5,  QM6, and QM15 need to run up Queens Boulevard to the Queensboro Bridge (inbound only; until about 8 PM) because between those times, going inbound through the tunnel will mean an unexpected amount of time in the 1/2 mile or so approaching the toll gate. Yesterday was so bad the delays stretched all the way to Maspeth. During those times, the QM2 would operate via Northern instead of via the LIE. 

I would also advise express bus riders to call and contact their representatives and bombard the MTA with complaints , because the MTA is just letting these things happen, even though there are better alternatives to this. It's almost as if they purposely want to bring down ridership as much as possible. Like I said, I have no problem with making repairs; I understand that it's necessary. I have a problem with what the MTA is doing for express bus riders in this situation (which is almost nothing).

Compare the traffic flow near & around the Queensboro and the QMT by looking at the cameras on 511NY:

https://511ny.org/list/cctv?start=0&length=10&order%5Bi%5D=&order%5Bdir%5D=&search=Queensboro+Brid 

https://511ny.org/list/cctv?start=0&length=10&order%5Bi%5D=&order%5Bdir%5D=&search=Queens+Midtown

The Queensboro is congested too, but if you look for a while, you'll see that traffic is moving much faster than at the tunnel approach.

The only preemptive action they've taken is to put that notice up until Spring of 2018, so that perhaps they receive fewer complaints.  I'll be sure to do my shopping in Whitestone on off hours for sure now because I definitely need to make a trip for a few things.

I would also advise express bus riders to call and contact their representatives and bombard the MTA with complaints , because the MTA is just letting these things happen, even though there are better alternatives to this. It's almost as if they purposely want to bring down ridership as much as possible

I should hope that it's not just now that you're coming to this revelation...

Why do you really think those 2 guys w/ vests were at that stop you mentioned in an earlier post.... They weren't there hoping for a significant amt. of waiting of riders... They were hoping for the worst so that they could report to their higher-ups with the "good news".... Nothing more than unofficial traffic checkers.... I smirk whenever I see those guys on whatever mode I'm on, or at any bus stop I'm either around, or walking past.....

The only preemptive action they've taken is to put that notice up until Spring of 2018, so that perhaps they receive fewer complaints.  I'll be sure to do my shopping in Whitestone on off hours for sure now because I definitely need to make a trip for a few things.

You'll be fine it it's not on the weekend (weekday middays or evenings). If you do whatever shopping on the weekend though, good luck guessing when a bus is supposed to show up. It's even worse when they have events that reroute buses onto Madison Avenue (like yesterday). By the time you notice a bus is on its way, you will probably miss it, and god knows how long you'll wait for the next one. Inbound buses are more reliable (because of shift changes on the Queens end or lunch breaks), but do you really want to wait forever to get into the tunnel? Pick your poison.

I should hope that it's not just now that you're coming to this revelation...

Why do you really think those 2 guys w/ vests were at that stop you mentioned in an earlier post.... They weren't there hoping for a significant amt. of waiting of riders... They were hoping for the worst so that they could report to their higher-ups with the "good news".... Nothing more than unofficial traffic checkers.... I smirk whenever I see those guys on whatever mode I'm on, or at any bus stop I'm either around, or walking past.....

I know that the agency has been looking to cut back wherever possible, however this takes the cake. Although the MTA may not have deliberately planned the tunnel changes in reduce express bus ridership, this gives the perfect opportunity for riders to get fed up and seek alternate means of travel (which may or may not be the already overcrowded subway). I would understand if it was just one weekend, or select weekends, but this will keep going on for at least 19 months, and nothing's being done.

I actually called customer service yesterday, and I explained to the person about everything here, and he replied with something along the lines of "well, the MTA might reroute service eventually, but for now they are just saying that there going to be delays". That didn't really help me, and in the end, he just told me to write a letter to 2 Broadway about it (which probably won't do much anyways), so I'm just going to write out to my representative to see if I get a better response.

You'll be fine it it's not on the weekend (weekday middays or evenings). If you do whatever shopping on the weekend though, good luck guessing when a bus is supposed to show up. It's even worse when they have events that reroute buses onto Madison Avenue (like yesterday). By the time you notice a bus is on its way, you will probably miss it, and god knows how long you'll wait for the next one. Inbound buses are more reliable (because of shift changes on the Queens end or lunch breaks), but do you really want to wait forever to get into the tunnel? Pick your poison.

What I do now is plan trips and stock up on things that I buy and don't want to get online at a higher cost.  I haven't been in Whitestone in months (I went before it got too hot and bought what I needed for months) so I am only now starting to get low, so I will try to plan a trip before Thanksgiving because after that forget it.  I've done trips with the QM2 that were just hell during the holidays and I will not do that again.  Late nights trips will almost be impossible because of my schedule and I used to use those 23:00 trips back to the city, but they've cut those.  <_<

I hope the MTA has some kind of plan to deal with the Bx12 +SBS madness that's due to ensue during the holiday shopping season. The Mall at Bay Plaza saw tremendous traffic last year and the MTA wasn't ready to handle all of the people using the bus to access the mall. The Saturday before Christmas was ridiculous. Every single Bx12 +SBS coming out of Bay Plaza that afternoon was sardine packed. I remember having to use the Bx5 or Q50 coming from PBP (6) most Saturdays in December because they were the only buses going into Co-op with room for passengers not needing the mall. Given that this will be an issue now and well into the future I hope the MTA can add extra service on the route for weekends from Black Friday to New Year's.

I know that the agency has been looking to cut back wherever possible, however this takes the cake. Although the MTA may not have deliberately planned the tunnel changes in reduce express bus ridership, this gives the perfect opportunity for riders to get fed up and seek alternate means of travel (which may or may not be the already overcrowded subway). I would understand if it was just one weekend, or select weekends, but this will keep going on for at least 19 months, and nothing's being done.

I actually called customer service yesterday, and I explained to the person about everything here, and he replied with something along the lines of "well, the MTA might reroute service eventually, but for now they are just saying that there going to be delays". That didn't really help me, and in the end, he just told me to write a letter to 2 Broadway about it (which probably won't do much anyways), so I'm just going to write out to my representative to see if I get a better response.

This situation doesn't shine any big of a light on their intentions to me than anything else that's been goin down..... I understand that the "sting" is harder when it directly affects you, but it's par for the course the way I see it.... They're not in it for the passenger, even though it's deemed public transportation.....

They say customer service is the backbone of any company, but you hear of and/or have dealings with MTA customer service & you realize that it's an utter waste of time - from the canned e-mail responses to the cookie-cutter vocal responses you get upon some inquiry over the phone.... You're being ran through the ringer; customer service directs you to write a letter, you do that, and you'll either get a canned response, or be told to contact customer service... T'hell with all that.