BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I think if the driver could view the security cameras, that would help with getting people to move back because people form a wall near the back door particularly on buses with the transverse seating directly after the steps. I think people are hesitant to stand in the rear because there is so little room to stand there, and honestly there is something about the way the rear is, that makes it a very lurchy and uncomfortable ride when standing. I will say, there are some Orion 7's with longitudinal seating and everyone waiting for the Q64 breathes a sign of relief when one pulls up to the stop. There is much more standing room in that rear configuration and more people are willing to stand in the rear on those buses.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if the driver could view the security cameras, that would help with getting people to move back because people form a wall near the back door particularly on buses with the transverse seating directly after the steps. I think people are hesitant to stand in the rear because there is so little room to stand there, and honestly there is something about the way the rear is, that makes it a very lurchy and uncomfortable ride when standing. I will say, there are some Orion 7's with longitudinal seating and everyone waiting for the Q64 breathes a sign of relief when one pulls up to the stop. There is much more standing room in that rear configuration and more people are willing to stand in the rear on those buses.

The issue with the back of the bus is stepping up... Very little head room for tall folks like myself and very little space to stand. It's almost unsafe. That's why I like artics better. More room to stand. I like that little area where there are no seats. Enough room to place your Whole Foods bags on the floor, stand and allow people to pass to go to the back.

Point taken, but it's saying something when ride quality and power of a brand new Gillig can be bested by a bus that's 10 years its senior.  Just illustrating how New Flyers have excellent longevity, even if maintenance over the years is lacking.

That's kinda debatable, especially when it comes to the agencies themselves.

The earliest model Xcelsiors out in Canada are already starting to develop rust problems, as some werent built with stainless steel frames. The LFR models were never that great when it came to longevity because of the frames, some of those issues coming from the front end of those buses(hence why cities like Chicago, Baltimore and NY went for the "newest" LF models). Their HFs is where the longevity point sticks.

For smaller agencies, any bus would last longer, but in bigger cities, it's very debatable. King County Metro has 19 year old Phantoms still in service and they are in excellent condition. Granted, Gillig quality can be random(along with the specs the agencies provide for them), but in my opinion, it very much depends on the agencies and the specs provided, as you can get either top notch quality, or just straight up ass.

Edited by Cait Sith

Looks like they're putting two XD60s on the Q64 each day. 5409 and 5431 are on right now.

That's my home line too and I haven't caught one yet but I will get a pic if I see it. It was similar to that time last year where I caught the RTS on the Q64.

I hope the artics on that line become a regular rush hour thing because that line can definitely benefit from it since it does run on 3 minute headways and each bus arrives at Forest Hills with either SRO or crushloaded.

So I went to the Cablevision store today to turn in one of my cable boxes. That trip involved using the Bx19, which I had to wait 20 minutes for because the (2) and (5) weren't stopping at 174th Street. After those 20 minutes, four buses showed up, and the first bus was actually a Tremont Avenue short turn due to BusTrek bunker dispatching. The rest of the buses as far as I could see were destined to go the full route. The first bus was naturally emptying out since it was a useless short-turn, but I got on the second and it surprisingly wasn't really crowded.

Then again, I use Bx12 ridership standards, so I consider 50 or 60 people on an artic to be empty, and I think everyone else uses Bx12 load standards too :lol:. a couple of people waiting for the 19 were saying how the 12 was worse than the 19 and how the 12 is always a disaster.

Riding on the Q111 this past week:

5393: Glass for one of the emergency handles was broken....

5396: Half of the screws were missing on the interior hatch near the front of the bus. It was slightly hanging off one side...

As for the artics onthe Q64, it probably an interlining run. I saw an Orion 7 on the Q111 around 7pm on a weekday heading towards Rosedale...

5396: Half of the screws were missing on the interior hatch near the front of the bus. It was slightly hanging off one side...

As for the artics onthe Q64, it probably an interlining run. I saw an Orion 7 on the Q111 around 7pm on a weekday heading towards Rosedale...

BP routes have several runs that are interlined with one another. The Q110 see artics once in a while. The Q112 is the only route out of BP that hasn't seen an artic run on it. It doesn't need them anyways.

They actually weren't. Run 401 is a Q64 run till sometime around 9:22am. They've been showing up pretty consistently on that run.

They actually weren't. Run 401 is a Q64 run till sometime around 9:22am. They've been showing up pretty consistently on that run.

Oh ok, thanks for some clarification. I figured that it was bound to happen on the Q64...

Question? Are there plans for the Q64 to leave BP depot and return to its former depot?

Monday AM, around 9:00, thought it funny to see the Manhattan routes in the Service Status widget listed -- oddly -- as "Good Service", with no planned detours or delays.

Then things went to hell on 5th Av and 4 routes turned up with "Delays".

A Monday morning rush commute and ALL M-buses running "on-time"?  Just seemed like a "wishful thinking" sorta moment for the MTA, given how I just KNOW that buses were operating outside the 5 minute "on time" window -- especially in Manhattan.

Had a nice giggle, though.  Along with a healthy dose of SMH.

Monday AM, around 9:00, thought it funny to see the Manhattan routes in the Service Status widget listed -- oddly -- as "Good Service", with no planned detours or delays.

Then things went to hell on 5th Av and 4 routes turned up with "Delays".

A Monday morning rush commute and ALL M-buses running "on-time"?  Just seemed like a "wishful thinking" sorta moment for the MTA, given how I just KNOW that buses were operating outside the 5 minute "on time" window -- especially in Manhattan.

Had a nice giggle, though.  Along with a healthy dose of SMH.

I mean if they listed every bus that was late, the website would be a mess and considering how routes bunch every route has at least 1 late bus. 

So I have a tutoring session just on the other side of the Goethals Bridge (like literally, a couple of blocks from the NJ side). Unfortunately, a 10-15 minute drive takes like 1.5-2 hours by mass transit, so like it or not, I had to take a lift from a relative (I did get to take a Coach USA bus once I was there. I missed the 24A, so I walked over to the 24B to Newark and then the #1 to JFK Blvd and walked down into Bayonne for another tutoring session where, once again I had to be picked up to avoid a long trip by mass transit)

Another time, I missed the last S89 of the night, and as if my luck wasn't bad enough, I missed the northbound HBLR train and had to wait 30 minutes for the next one (I couldn't get a lift that time)

To put it in simple terms

MTA bus is mainly State run and NYCT is City run

It really won't matter within a few years after the merger is complete however. 

It's the opposite; MTABC is subsidized by the City. NYCT is subsidized by a combo of both city and state funds, IIRC.

What's the difference between mta bus and nyct bus

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

To dumb things down

MTA Bus is the private bus companies merged into MTA (Green Lines, Triboro, Jamaica Lines, Command and what have you)

MTA New York City is the main entity that was MTA from day one. MTA Bus is funded by the DOT and MTA NYCT is state/city funded. 

Edited by Jdog14

I mean if they listed every bus that was late, the website would be a mess and considering how routes bunch every route has at least 1 late bus. 

Valid point, but if that was the case, then there would be no need to put the "Delays" up simply because of heavy traffic on 5th Av, since that's almost a given.

Valid point, but if that was the case, then there would be no need to put the "Delays" up simply because of heavy traffic on 5th Av, since that's almost a given.

The issue now with the delays is that they are severe.  In some cases it can take 45 minutes to an hour alone just to go from 96th street to say 57th street.  I was on a bus not too long ago that still hasn't reached its destination yet.  That bus arrived at 96th street before 10:00 and is still stuck in traffic.