BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Did anyone see the LIRR buses today?

Yea on 34th St, all private carriers. Some didn't have names on them and were really beat down buses but otherwise Alot of Coach USA, and Academy. This was around 4:00. No crazy lines. Buses loaded up and went. OK ridership, max 15/bus. 

Edited by MikeC

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That (E) / (F) shuttle this weekend was really horrible. On Saturday the buses made congestion at Forest Hills worse than it normally is, as they were all u-turning at 70 Road. The next day, the routing was changed for the shuttle buses and the traffic was smoother. The buses isntead took 108 Street to 70 Road, and then turned onto Queens Boulevard. However, the issue was the long line at Forest Hills for people trying to catch a bus eastward. The line extended from thr stops at Queens Boulevard down to 71st Avenue & Queens Boulevard.

The supervisors were arguing over what do because the line was getting longer, and the fear that the police might have to be called over. Due to that, the supervisor overlooking the (F) shuttle had to send 6+ buses on a load and go basis, because of the insane line.

There were also some heated arguments between passengers. Some guy legit brought one of them carts with groceries and a TV (inside a box) onto the bus, and some snapped at others for supposedly cutting the line. There needs to be a better way to handle these loads, because every bus left packed.

There needs to be an (E) express and (F) express shuttle. The (E) express would make stops at 71 Avenue, Jamaica Van Wyck, Supthin Boulevard (Archer Avenue), and Jamaica Center. The (F) express would make stops at 71 Avenue, Supthin Boulevard (Hillside Avenue), Parsons Boulevard (Hillside Avenue), 169 Street, and 179 Street. Not too many people were getting on/off at 75 Avenue or Briarwood, so halving the amount of buses stopping won't be an issue.

Another thing to spread the loads out is to have the (E) and (F) express pickup on 70 Road & Queens Boulevard. They take the Main road of Queens Boulevard instead of the South Service Road. Signs for the express shuttles should be clear at 71 Avenue.

What about Union Tpke?

That (E) / (F) shuttle this weekend was really horrible. On Saturday the buses made congestion at Forest Hills worse than it normally is, as they were all u-turning at 70 Road. The next day, the routing was changed for the shuttle buses and the traffic was smoother. The buses isntead took 108 Street to 70 Road, and then turned onto Queens Boulevard. However, the issue was the long line at Forest Hills for people trying to catch a bus eastward. The line extended from thr stops at Queens Boulevard down to 71st Avenue & Queens Boulevard.

The supervisors were arguing over what do because the line was getting longer, and the fear that the police might have to be called over. Due to that, the supervisor overlooking the (F) shuttle had to send 6+ buses on a load and go basis, because of the insane line.

There were also some heated arguments between passengers. Some guy legit brought one of them carts with groceries and a TV (inside a box) onto the bus, and some snapped at others for supposedly cutting the line. There needs to be a better way to handle these loads, because every bus left packed.

There needs to be an (E) express and (F) express shuttle. The (E) express would make stops at 71 Avenue, Jamaica Van Wyck, Supthin Boulevard (Archer Avenue), and Jamaica Center. The (F) express would make stops at 71 Avenue, Supthin Boulevard (Hillside Avenue), Parsons Boulevard (Hillside Avenue), 169 Street, and 179 Street. Not too many people were getting on/off at 75 Avenue or Briarwood, so halving the amount of buses stopping won't be an issue.

Another thing to spread the loads out is to have the (E) and (F) express pickup on 70 Road & Queens Boulevard. They take the Main road of Queens Boulevard instead of the South Service Road. Signs for the express shuttles should be clear at 71 Avenue.

Express is definitely needed and I used the shuttle to get to Briarwood on Saturday. Coming back  to FH there was about  10 people getting on there and when I got off only 2 or 3 others.

Could they pull a few artic out of Manhattan and put it in Queens? Routes like M23,14, 72 could all be converted to 40 ft

Quill and Tuskegee were contributing artics to the shuttle. I saw some Kingsbridge XD-60s as well. 

Today is not really a day to evaluate anything. During the summer people tend to take off Monday's a lot, and since last week was July 4th, I'm sure people had long vacations.  As we get later into the week, then we'll see who is doing what.  

They also publicized this well in advance, so some people took their vacations this week specifically to avoid this hassle. 

Funny enough, I think the S55/56/61/91 should run this as the regular route.

S55S56, S61, X31 and X17 buses are detoured, due to paving on Marsh Av.

Detour is as follows:

S61, X17, X31, S55 and S56 Woodrow Bound: Via Marsh Av, right on Staten Island Mall Dr, left on Ring Rd, right on Platinum Av and regular route.

S61 George Ferry Bound, S55 and S56 : Via Platinum Av, left on Ring Rd, right on Staten Island Mall Rd, left on Marsh Av and regular route.

Allow additional travel time.

Funny enough, I think the S55/56/61/91 should run this as the regular route.

S55, S56, S61, X31 and X17 buses are detoured, due to paving on Marsh Av.

Detour is as follows:

S61, X17, X31, S55 and S56 Woodrow Bound: Via Marsh Av, right on Staten Island Mall Dr, left on Ring Rd, right on Platinum Av and regular route.

S61 George Ferry Bound, S55 and S56 : Via Platinum Av, left on Ring Rd, right on Staten Island Mall Rd, left on Marsh Av and regular route.

Allow additional travel time.

Why? Too much turning, and too much little stopping at those stop signs going through the mall parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? Too much turning, and too much little stopping at those stop signs going through the mall parking lot.

Because all the local buses should be running through there so that the S44/59/94 serve both the mall and the homes and schools behind the mall instead of only the mall. (It also makes for easier connections. I remember having to run across the street several times at Yukon & Richmond to transfer from the S44 to the S55)

Because all the local buses should be running through there so that the S44/59/94 serve both the mall and the homes and schools behind the mall instead of only the mall. (It also makes for easier connections. I remember having to run across the street several times at Yukon & Richmond to transfer from the S44 to the S55)

Except for the s61/91 - this should continue on Marsh Ave.. I agree with both actually.

However, until mall management or DOT reconfigure and widen that specific portion of Ring Road, I think we have to deal with the current configuration.

As for the s44/59 to the s55/56, I get off at Sears stop and power walk to the stop on Platinum Ave or if time allows, I've gone 44/59 to the s79-SBS (if nearby) to the s55/56 at ETC.

Edited by 161NewYork

Man, was the Bronx a mess today on the bus side with the funeral for the NYPD officer.

Stuck buses, short turned buses, NYPD loaner buses, and even buses that got detoured so far out of their way they got straight up lost.

Also, I pretty much saw every non-RTS bus model within a one mile radius of the funeral:

D60HF (normal service)

Orion 7 CNG (normal service)

Orion 7 NG Hybrid (normal service)

LFS (loaners)

LFSA (normal service)

XD40 (loaners)

XD60 (normal service)

XN40 (normal service and loaners)

D4500 (BxM4 and a loaner)

(MTA) X3-45 (loaners)

Greyhound X3-45 (charter)

Man, was the Bronx a mess today on the bus side with the funeral for the NYPD officer.

Stuck buses, short turned buses, NYPD loaner buses, and even buses that got detoured so far out of their way they got straight up lost.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen the BxM4 on such a lengthy detour. A few times I needed it during one of those Dominican parades on parts of the Concourse and boy did I learn my lesson, which is take Metro-North or change your business plans and do them another day.

Except for the s61/91 - this should continue on Marsh Ave.. I agree with both actually.

However, until mall management or DOT reconfigure and widen that specific portion of Ring Road, I think we have to deal with the current configuration.

As for the s44/59 to the s55/56, I get off at Sears stop and power walk to the stop on Platinum Ave or if time allows, I've gone 44/59 to the s79-SBS (if nearby) to the s55/56 at ETC.

I think they worked out some kind of deal related to the S79 (maybe it was permission to use Ring Road as a shortcut to get to Marsh Avenue), so hopefully with enough pressure they could work something out with the rest of the buses.

As part of the SBS project, they were supposed to build an island platform in the middle of the southbound part of Richmond Avenue, for people boarding at Yukon (so people wouldn't have to cross as much of the street coming from the shopping plaza)

If that were the case, I would just have the S59 run straight down Richmond Avenue, and people needing to get to Target and all those stores could just walk from Richmond (or transfer to/from the S44 or S61 if they really can't walk from that end of the plaza). 

The Q38, Q29, and Q47 have all teamed up to screw me over tjis evening. I tried catching the Q38, but half the buses were missing. There was NO service going to Corona at all, and all the buses were on the Eliot Avenue leg or the LeFrak City portion. I take the Q54 to 80 Street, but see nothing coming up as I track it. The Q53 was about to pass, the next northbound Q52 was in thr Rockaways. I should have stuck to waiting for the Q11 though.

The Q29 and Q47? All bunching on 30 minute headways. Nothing going northbound from Atlas Park.

The Q38, Q29, and Q47 have all teamed up to screw me over tjis evening. I tried catching the Q38, but half the buses were missing. There was NO service going to Corona at all, and all the buses were on the Eliot Avenue leg or the LeFrak City portion. I take the Q54 to 80 Street, but see nothing coming up as I track it. The Q53 was about to pass, the next northbound Q52 was in thr Rockaways. I should have stuck to waiting for the Q11 though.

The Q29 and Q47? All bunching on 30 minute headways. Nothing going northbound from Atlas Park.

I feel like the Q38 is notorious for bunching during the PM rush and the Q47 can be straight up anemic sometimes taking 30-45 minutes to get from Roosevelt-74th to 80th and Eliot.  You're probably just better off sticking with whatever express bus you live nearest too because at least those are consistent and it saves you the trouble of trying to run around like a maniac trying to anticipate which bus will come first.

I wonder what the cause of the bunching is.  Does one bus leave late?  Maybe there is a tie up around the mall?

I feel like the Q38 is notorious for bunching during the PM rush and the Q47 can be straight up anemic sometimes taking 30-45 minutes to get from Roosevelt-74th to 80th and Eliot.  You're probably just better off sticking with whatever express bus you live nearest too because at least those are consistent and it saves you the trouble of trying to run around like a maniac trying to anticipate which bus will come first.

I wonder what the cause of the bunching is.  Does one bus leave late?  Maybe there is a tie up around the mall?

The one thing about Middle Village and Glendale in general is that a lot of streets are somewhat narrow. I'm sure that plays a factor into how the buses run.

The express bus can't help me if I'm coming from Bushwick. The Q38 has issues at all times of the day, including on Sunday evenings. I've seen bunching on the Q38 during those times as well.

IDK why each of the buses were bunching like that, and the worse part of all, all three of them synchronized at the same interval to bunch with buses only going SB (the Q38 in both directions-nothing on the Penelope Leg). It's amazing how the Q54 somehow was the only one to actually show up. The Q38 has it's problems during evenings, but I've never seen anything like that, and at that time (10:30 PM-11 PM). There was no traffic, so the mall has nothing to do with it. 

I have bad luck with the Q47. Even in the rush, when I miss a Q47 in Jackson Heights, the next one is either approaching Astoria Boulevard, or still on layover at Marine Air Terminal. Yesterday, when I went to drop something off, I missed the Q47 because it was EARLY. That was a first, and since the next Q47 was over 20 minutes away, I was not pleased. Went down to the Q38 to take whatever bus in whatever direction came first, and they both took forever. 

The one thing about Middle Village and Glendale in general is that a lot of streets are somewhat narrow. I'm sure that plays a factor into how the buses run.

The Q47 runs on 80 Street, which is a wide street, so it's not Middle Village that messes up the Q47. The Q29 and Q38 do pass through narrower roads, but usually those are non-issues. The Q38's issues are exacerbated by construction on the Fresh Pond Road Bridge (which is why the (M) runs two shuttle buses to Myrtle Avenue during the daytime hours). The delays on the Q29 has to be due traffic throughout the portion north of Dry Harbor Road.

D4500CTs. J4500s are not for the transit market.

Them tall Js won't even suit the transit agency. They are not built to transit modifications

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I have a question: Since when the M4 & Q32 was rerouted to 37th St on a permanent basis?

Them tall Js won't even suit the transit agency. They are not built to transit modifications

I have a question: Since when the M4 & Q32 was rerouted to 37th St on a permanent basis?

I honestly just love the headlights and taillights on those buses. Especially the newer 2014-2017 models.