BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 2/15/2018 at 5:32 PM, Transbusfan said:

I have noticed something this week with front of the RTS's from UP and FB, they removed all the 'VIM' AD'S (model advertising Jeans) and now just the MTA logo is there.. Did someone file a complaint or a move by MTA to not to put Ads on the front anymore ? P.S saw a couple NGs like that also..

Is this supposed to be a bad thing? I always remember the RTS's with Georgi Ads on the back of the bus.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Dannny said:

Given there is going to be snow till tomorrow morning, will Artics in Manhattan be grounded? anyone know

Most likely not becuase a lot of the Manhattan routes still use the artics anyway regardless of the snow (mostly the Quill routes). Its only going to snow until like 4 or 5 in the morning anyway.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

Might seem like a small thing, but it would be nice if they added two grab poles with stop buttons on the last pair of double seats in the rear section of the LFS/LFSA. Nothing to grab when getting up or sitting down. Would also be nice to have a set of stop requested buttons on each side for convenience. Seems like something that has been missing, and can help with crowds. 

6815 was showing up on bustime even though the bus had broken down and had a tow truck behind it.

I seen one of the most boneheaded accidents today, a truck literary backed itself right into an hybrid from Jamaica working the A shuttle, I mean the truck didn't see the bus in his rearview mirror? they was like 10 feet apart before the truck started backing up. It was a low speed collision and there was no damage to the bus.

19 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

6815 was showing up on bustime even though the bus had broken down and had a tow truck behind it.

I seen one of the most boneheaded accidents today, a truck literary backed itself right into an hybrid from Jamaica working the A shuttle, I mean the truck didn't see the bus in his rearview mirror? they was like 10 feet apart before the truck started backing up. It was a low speed collision and there was no damage to the bus.

Doesn't the bus get taken out of service even if there's no physical damage ? I remember many years ago on the Q44 back when Casey Stengel was all Orion V's a car backed up slowly and touched the bumper of the bus and we were all told to get off and wait for the next bus because that one is out of service. The bus stayed there too and I guess waited for whoever comes and handles the situation. 

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Doesn't the bus get taken out of service even if there's no physical damage ? I remember many years ago on the Q44 back when Casey Stengel was all Orion V's a car backed up slowly and touched the bumper of the bus and we were all told to get off and wait for the next bus because that one is out of service. The bus stayed there too and I guess waited for whoever comes and handles the situation. 

IDK I was on another bus going in the other direction.

9 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I'm wondering if the XD-60s at Grand Av will head to MJQ to bump off the D60HFs. 

So what may happen, and this ISN'T A DEFINITE, but the  #1200 Novas are coming out of SBS Service since the New 2017 Nova LFSA'S are coming in. The New Novas would go to the SBS routes while the older novas would replace the current D60HF's, hence allowing them to retire. I see the D60HF's getting "hand me downs' of older buses and not fairly new XD60's, although that would be nice.

2 minutes ago, Dannny said:

So what may happen, and this ISN'T A DEFINITE, but the  #1200 Novas are coming out of SBS Service since the New 2017 Nova LFSA'S are coming in. The New Novas would go to the SBS routes while the older novas would replace the current D60HF's, hence allowing them to retire. I see the D60HF's getting "hand me downs' of older buses and not fairly new XD60's, although that would be nice.

According to East New York they might go to ENY depot after the reconstruction. MJQ isn’t slated to have to have any XD60s. The ones they have are temp assigned. The depots that will have them permenatly are Casey, Tuskegee, and ENY. 

5 hours ago, Calvin said:

When the Mytrle Av viaduct is completed later on this spring, I'm wondering if the XD-60s at Grand Av will head to MJQ to bump off the D60HFs. 

If I'm not mistaken those buses will be heading down Broadway to East New York... Pending complete construction of artic bays. Of course, all of this is subject to change. 

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

On a random note...why is the QM20 running with a special President's Day schedule that isn't published?

Same question I asked. They note that it runs on BusTime... Put up a schedule online! The QM2 was becoming crowded which is why they started running the QM20, but still. No schedule to show when it runs.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Same question I asked. They note that it runs on BusTime... Put up a schedule online! The QM2 was becoming crowded which is why they started running the QM20, but still. No schedule to show when it runs.

They only have the departures from 211 Street (6:20 AM to 10:20 PM every hour) & 6 Avenue & 36 Street (9:40 AM to 11:40 PM every hour), but besides that, you're SOL if you want to time it. My guess is that they expect people to use bustime.

19 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

They only have the departures from 211 Street (6:20 AM to 10:20 PM every hour) & 6 Avenue & 36 Street (9:40 AM to 11:40 PM every hour), but besides that, you're SOL if you want to time it. My guess is that they expect people to use bustime.

Yeah I know and that means you can just sit and wait until whenever the bus decides it wants to come. I heard of long waits at least for one bus.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They have a special MLK Day/Day After Thanksgiving schedule which basically shows hourly service.  I guess the MTA is too lazy to add Presidents Day to this schedule.