BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't disagree. I'm just saying that all of this is why ridership continues to decrease. It's safety overkill. I'm so happy when I get a driver who puts the peddle to the metal. It's a rarity for sure.

I used to agree with this. I personally started this job as a lead foot, and in my personal life, I definitely have lead foot tendencies, which i try to reserve for highway driving... But, the days of the runnin' & gunnin' bus operators are dying a slow, painful death. Only guys still punching that gas are SBS & express operators, and even still that's not every run. There are operators out of Yukon that somehow find a way to crawl the 79 on Hylan. What i will say is that the way transit is with accident analysis (at-fault or not at-fault accidents, STEPS program, etc) they scare alot of newbies...  even operators with years of experience coming into this organization get petrified of "MTA logic". 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I used to agree with this. I personally started this job as a lead foot, and in my personal life, I definitely have lead foot tendencies, which i try to reserve for highway driving... But, the days of the runnin' & gunnin' bus operators are dying a slow, painful death. Only guys still punching that gas are SBS & express operators, and even still that's not every run. There are operators out of Yukon that somehow find a way to crawl the 79 on Hylan. What i will say is that the way transit is with accident analysis (at-fault or not at-fault accidents, STEPS program, etc) they scare alot of newbies...  even operators with years of experience coming into this organization get petrified of "MTA logic". 

This is a sad reality. 

17 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

You can say that again... Even on the express buses, it's slow going. Everybody comes late for the most part, and everyone is basically afraid to do anything serious in terms of speed. Really ridiculous.

I got on 613 from CP and it has those interior display signs. It is very annoying because it talks too much. It announces the next stop, the future stops, it makes an announcement when it’s arriving at the stop and service alerts. And I get what they are trying to do but it’s too much. It lags behind too much though so it just becomes one big jumbled mess. I like the idea of the interior signs but just turn off all the other announcements except for when announcing the next stop with transfers and the destination of the bus when the doors open. 

8 hours ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

Sometimes you get lucky when a BxM1, 2, or 3 operator is a speed demon flooring it down Madison Ave or 3rd Ave to get to the Deegan. It's always north of 80th St when its really noticable, and usually only on northbound trips.

I get one on the BxM18, the rare times that I catch it now going back to Riverdale. I seem to take it more in the mornings than anything, but anywho, he gets up to Riverdale like the old days... Around 35 minutes...

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Fact of the matter is, there's a lot of bad driving goin on out here..... DMV's handing out licenses like candy.

I've called into question the entire NYS DMV system over the past decade or so. Alot of people have absolutely no business operating a motor vehicle, personal or Commercial.

39 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I've called into question the entire NYS DMV system over the past decade or so. Alot of people have absolutely no business operating a motor vehicle, personal or Commercial.

For commercial vehicles especially. I totally feel training is very essential for driving a commercial vehicle. I just recently received my Class B commercial this past April 2017. Although, I don't have experience yet driving commercial YET. However, I see why it is important that certain directions need to be followed when it comes to commercial driving. I was often told that commercial driving comes with responsibility and sometimes mistakes do happen but it's how you fix those mistakes in order for you to excel in commercial driving. 

15 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Even though the electric bus order is complete, out of 10 buses only 1 is in service right now.. an xe40 on the M42. A couple hours ago there wasn't any electric buses in service. 

They also decided to add an XE40 to the M50, so 2 of 5 Xcelsiors are out and no Proterras at the moment.

More related to SBS enforcement than anything...with all of MTA Bridges and Tunnels now open-road tolling, why can't the MTA redeploy some of the TBTA officers or (or with the governor assigning some state troopers once a permanent barracks location is secured) to Select Bus Service enforcement and protect revenue? This would supplement the Eagle Team squads. Obviously B/Os would need to recognize the grey trooper uniforms, but that can be done with a bulletin.

Edited by aemoreira81

I was talking to some friends who are from out of state. I told them them people park in bus stops here in nyc and they were like "what?!!! that's a ticket and being towed!". I told them it seems as if people don't care here so thats why they keep doing it. I just wonder how often do people park in bus stops in other places because it seems like nyc is the only place where people can get away with doing such a thing. 

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

More related to SBS enforcement than anything...with all of MTA Bridges and Tunnels now open-road tolling, why can't the MTA redeploy some of the TBTA officers or (or with the governor assigning some state troopers once a permanent barracks location is secured) to Select Bus Service enforcement and protect revenue? This would supplement the Eagle Team squads. Obviously B/Os would need to recognize the grey trooper uniforms, but that can be done with a bulletin.

That's a great idea! The color of the TBTA and State Trooper cars can match the colors of the bus.

Jokes aside, I think it would help ticket some of the passengers that get a bit fussy with the Eagle Team and they end up walking away with no ticket. My parents bought up this point and I didn't really realize it myself till I saw it. I was on an s/b Q44-SBS and Eagle Team boarded at 20th Avenue, this one guy started yelling "This is f*cking bullshit! I had my ticket". He gets pulled off but some reason he gets back on the bus. One of the Eagle Team guys say "Sir, you can't ride the bus....", then we all wait for him to get off the bus. This took so long that another Q44-SBS ended up bypassing us, skipping inspection lol. Anyways, the guy gets off willingly throwing a temper tantrum and he walks away with no ticket or anything. 

54 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

That's a great idea! The color of the TBTA and State Trooper cars can match the colors of the bus.

Jokes aside, I think it would help ticket some of the passengers that get a bit fussy with the Eagle Team and they end up walking away with no ticket. My parents bought up this point and I didn't really realize it myself till I saw it. I was on an s/b Q44-SBS and Eagle Team boarded at 20th Avenue, this one guy started yelling "This is f*cking bullshit! I had my ticket". He gets pulled off but some reason he gets back on the bus. One of the Eagle Team guys say "Sir, you can't ride the bus....", then we all wait for him to get off the bus. This took so long that another Q44-SBS ended up bypassing us, skipping inspection lol. Anyways, the guy gets off willingly throwing a temper tantrum and he walks away with no ticket or anything. 

In Cali they ride the bus asking for tickets, where here they board and hold the bus for 5-7 minutes inspecting everybody ticket.