MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

As for an M100 extension.....why!?

Because the M35 is somehow useless.

Of course, the fact that such a short route even has the ridership to justify articulated buses is completely overlooked with that "analysis"...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Lex said:

Of course, the fact that such a short route even has the ridership to justify articulated buses is completely overlooked with that "analysis"...

The M35 is totally not useless.

A lot of tenants on Randall's Island use that route to get to Manhattan, and during the AM rush, it's packed. This should justify why it has to use artics. 

Plus, during sporting events at Icahn Stadium, or at any other venue at the island, the M35 is also packed to the point where supplementary special-event service (the X80) has to help with the crowds. 

2 hours ago, happy283 said:

when will WF get 1031 back?

2 hours ago, limitednyc said:

when jg gets 1072

I’m going to move this conversation here. Right now there is no need for these 2 buses to swap depots. This was asked previously. Only the department of buses will make that determination to when these buses will swap. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

I’m going to move this conversation here. Right now there is no need for these 2 buses to swap depots. This was asked previously. Only the department of buses will make that determination to when these buses will swap. 

Idk how to quote the other two dudes in this too (frankly this is only meant for them) but anyway...

What's the difference if 1072 is up at WF and 1031 is down at JG? For all intents and purposes they're the exact same bus; everything 1072 does 1031 can do too. ANd before anyone brings up SBS vs. local scheme my understanding is that schemes can be swapped pretty quickly...

52 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Idk how to quote the other two dudes in this too (frankly this is only meant for them) but anyway...

What's the difference if 1072 is up at WF and 1031 is down at JG? For all intents and purposes they're the exact same bus; everything 1072 does 1031 can do too. ANd before anyone brings up SBS vs. local scheme my understanding is that schemes can be swapped pretty quickly...

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Exactly. 

The guy is concerned about having nice and neat looking blocks of numbers. It's why he keeps making these hypothetical rosters so that the numbers are all in place.

It's like OCD or something.

5 hours ago, Lex said:

That shows how little some folks know about the M35 and the areas it serves. 

1. So we are just going to forget that the line also uses 40ft buses too?

The only reason artics tend to be out on the line often is because that's what's often available at the depots for pullout. There's a higher spare factor of artics, so they can spare 4 of those or 4 40ft buses for the line. The artics also do not run 7 days a week on the line. You'll often see a mix of both fleets on the line, it's a matter of what they pull out for the line.

2. Where do we begin......

(A): Randalls Island & Wards Island are a lot more occupied than most people think, people actually live and work out there for starters. 
(B): Homeless shelters, hospitals, a wastewater treatment plant, over 50 athletic fields for training/events, police & fire academy training facilities and much more are out there. Lots of people go to those areas for work and other things.
(C): Let's not also forget about the Electric Zoo and the other festivals that occur out there. Yeah, the X80 goes out there for those, but people also use the M35 for that too....

Some of you fans need to stop looking at maps and explore outside of your comfort zone to understand WHY things are the way they are.....most of you fans only come up with these ideas by looking at route and system maps....and that has to stop, quite honestly. That suggestion is basically emulating what the MTA did with the M5....and look at how that turned out.

Could you imagine how some of these routes would look if they were all extend based on looking at how short one route is and merging it with another, longer route and by looking at maps? That would be torturous to a degree!

Edited by Cait Sith

In addition to the above, Quill has no problem running SBS buses on the line, so that isn’t even a factor for them. Even saw one on the M14 yesterday. 

Ive been on the M35 many times, most were crush loaded artic runs. There is a lot going on but as @Cait Sith said it’s quite obvious that many people are just looking at maps. There’s lots of traffic out to the island and little do you all know everyone fare beaters are of all classes. From professionals to other employees that work at various places on the island. Not just the homeless. Hell they will even put in change most times while someone who’s working at the homeless shelter they go to get in the back. 

Edited by East New York

1 minute ago, East New York said:

In addition to the above, Quill has no problem running SBS buses on the line, so that isn’t even a factor for them. Even saw one on the M14 yesterday. 

Well, that's mostly because they lost a bunch of LFSAs to West Farms(and still are), so they're basically running SBS buses on the line now. 

And with the M14 SBS looming, it pretty much makes sense.

Just now, Calvin said:

I've noticed that all of the articulated lines at Quill uses SBS buses. The thought is, are they short on units because of the M35?

Quill doesn’t feel that it really matters, and because of their mostly optic ops, it’s much easier to use what’s next on the run line, and as mentioned about they are loosing buses now to WF, and I’m being told some will go to FB when they get new XD60’s

23 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

That shows how little some folks know about the M35 and the areas it serves. 

1. So we are just going to forget that the line also uses 40ft buses too?

The only reason artics tend to be out on the line often is because that's what's often available at the depots for pullout. There's a higher spare factor of artics, so they can spare 4 of those or 4 40ft buses for the line. The artics also do not run 7 days a week on the line. You'll often see a mix of both fleets on the line, it's a matter of what they pull out for the line.

2. Where do we begin......

(A): Randalls Island & Wards Island are a lot more occupied than most people think, people actually live and work out there for starters. 
(B): Homeless shelters, hospitals, a wastewater treatment plant, over 50 athletic fields for training/events, police & fire academy training facilities and much more are out there. Lots of people go to those areas for work and other things.
(C): Let's not also forget about the Electric Zoo and the other festivals that occur out there. Yeah, the X80 goes out there for those, but people also use the M35 for that too....

Some of you fans need to stop looking at maps and explore outside of your comfort zone to understand WHY things are the way they are.....most of you fans only come up with these ideas by looking at route and system maps....and that has to stop, quite honestly. That suggestion is basically emulating what the MTA did with the M5....and look at how that turned out.

Could you imagine how some of these routes would look if they were all extend based on looking at how short one route is and merging it with another, longer route and by looking at maps? That would be torturous to a degree!

You forgot picnicking 

12 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Well, that's mostly because they lost a bunch of LFSAs to West Farms (and still are), so they're basically running SBS buses on the line now. 

And with the M14 SBS looming, it pretty much makes sense.

No wonder why I’ve been seeing SBS buses along 14th as of late. Is there a possibility that all the 52xx buses may end up at WF? 

12 hours ago, East New York said:

Quill doesn’t feel that it really matters, and because of their mostly optic ops, it’s much easier to use what’s next on the run line, and as mentioned about they are loosing buses now to WF, and I’m being told some will go to FB when they get new XD60’s

From looking at the Quill roster. They have 20 +SBS+ XD60 buses. If everything goes as planned those could go to FB to complete since FB is not getting their full allotment of new buses. Correct. 

39 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

No wonder why I’ve been seeing SBS buses along 14th as of late. Is there a possibility that all the 52xx buses may end up at WF? 

Probably, when 14 St hits Select Bus Service with a launch date. 

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Question, I heard that the next pic starts on April 21, the same day as the fare increases. Any truth to this?

April 28th, due to the (L) train weekday plan cancelation

Edited by Calvin

25 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

It actually is in the depot proper. It's assigned to Grand Avenue.

Grand Avenue also lost 5332 to KB(currently in service)...even when it got the Grand Avenue stickers on the bus

So BK is going to stay majority new flyer as planned. Also looks like the 4700s to bk is looking like it’s back on the table. 

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Wait, what?

Yes the 4700’s were always bound for Brooklyn due to Fleet uniformity. The timeline however has changed 19 times. GA was under review for arrive and LFSA’s just doesn’t make any sense at all. If the plan is to move them from Brooklyn anyway, why in the hell they would go to Grand was beyond me. 

Looks like we are back to what things should be. As I said 3 years ago, I expect every last 4700 series bus to end up in BK. 

38 minutes ago, East New York said:

Yes the 4700’s were always bound for Brooklyn due to Fleet uniformity. The timeline however has changed 19 times. GA was under review for arrive and LFSA’s just doesn’t make any sense at all. If the plan is to move them from Brooklyn anyway, why in the hell they would go to Grand was beyond me. 

Looks like we are back to what things should be. As I said 3 years ago, I expect every last 4700 series bus to end up in BK. 

With any luck, Flatbush will receive some for the B41, while the rest go to GA for the B38 and Q58.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that won't happen without substantial talks of conversion, but the MTA has a tendency to throw curveballs.

2 hours ago, East New York said:

The B38 and Q58 are going artic so I guess since grand is artic ready they can do so easily than the other depots here, I would presume.