MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

8072: Queens Village to Gun Hill 

6095, 6096 remains at Stengel. Seems that each past summer pick, a unit from a depot remains at Stengel in case of shortage or the the Q44 needs more units bc of increased ridership  (6036, 6042, 6083, 6085) 

Edited by Calvin

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Calvin said:

6095, 6096 remains at Stengel. Seems that each past summer pick, a unit from a depot remains at Stengel in case of shortage or the the Q44 needs more units bc of increased ridership  (6036, 6042, 6083, 6085) 

Those units still have OF decals.. Which could mean in the near future those buses will head back.. Remember, CS just acquired 6117 from MQ.

On 9/4/2022 at 12:17 PM, Calvin said:

In a way I’m not all that convinced that the Q12 needed to be converted to artics especially when there are several other routes that could have been converted instead. I always think of the Q6 and Q64(pre pandemic) as potential candidates. If the Q13 didn’t share Northern with the Q12 for a decent portion of its route I’d say it’s warranted. I have been under the belief that part of the reason the Q12 was converted was to increase the spare ratio for the Q44 whose buses are always on the road and some of them at this point sound beat. Seeing a standard bus on the Q12 is a normal sight whereas on the Q44 it’s rare. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

In a way I’m not all that convinced that the Q12 needed to be converted to artics especially when there are several other routes that could have been converted instead. I always think of the Q6 and Q64(pre pandemic) as potential candidates. If the Q13 didn’t share Northern with the Q12 for a decent portion of its route I’d say it’s warranted. I have been under the belief that part of the reason the Q12 was converted was to increase the spare ratio for the Q44 whose buses are always on the road and some of them at this point sound beat. Seeing a standard bus on the Q12 is a normal sight whereas on the Q44 it’s rare. 

Wouldn't make much sense to do that when they can just get a handful of artics to increase the spare ratio. Putting artics on the line is their way of slighting increasing the headways and making slight service reductions.

• 1 month later...

From the looks of the recent Novas being delivered and XD-40s, the Next Gens are still going to run in New York City Bus. The 2010 units, 4656-4700, 4701-4702 will be at Manhattanville (some are already at Manhattanville from Flatbush: 4676, 4681, and QV but it applies to Casey Stengel) so they can be maintained at one depot instead of leaving quantities of 5 or 20 in some depots when both the Nova/XD-40 order will be finished.  

Both bus orders will replace the Next Gens in NYC Bus but on the 2008-09 side of the order (3800-3959, 3960-4019, 4040-4139, 4170-4278, 4330-4482, 4513-4630). 

Edited by Calvin

I apologize for the double posting but forgot to add the other move: MTA Bus will also be removing the 20 3800s that JFK is using along with the Old Gens. There are selected units that CS, QV, FP, FB, ENY and MHV currently has that some are being retired and others converted to MTA Bus. Although, there will be enough Next Gens for Orion VII Old Gen replacements at JFK and BP (LGA is almost finished). 

JFK's future local standard fleet will be at approx. of 200+ 2009-10 Next Gens with LGA being at least 130 and BP with 50 ex. NYCT units. 

---

Going back to MHV, it'll be the only depot to still use Next Gens in-service even though the depot has the XDE-40s and LFS HEVs in-service. 

Brooklyn will be all New Flyers except Flatbush Depot have 9 Novas and QV will be entirely Nova for their local fleet.

Jamaica being a mix of XD-40s and Novas as well as Casey Stengel. 

More movements are coming soon. Just a wait and see thing for now. 

Edited by Calvin
Extra information regarding movements

1 hour ago, limitednyc said:

can some repost the assignments for 135 nova's order for mta bus?

No one has posted the depot assignments for Bus Co’s Novas yet (at least on this thread). Though I can guess they’ll be spread out like the new diesel and hybrid Novas Transit is still getting.

From Novabus:

https://novabus.com/blog/2022/10/18/new-york-state-metropolitan-transportation-authority-mta-orders-five-lfse-the-100-battery-electric-bus-model-of-nova-bus/

"Plattsburgh, United States, October 18, 2022 — Nova Bus, a member of the Volvo Group and a leading North American transit bus manufacturer, is delighted to announce it has been awarded a contract for five LFSe+, the 40’ long-range 100% battery electric bus model of Nova Bus, by the New York State Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA). The first delivery is expected by the fourth quarter of 2023. The buses will be assembled at the Nova Bus facility in Plattsburgh, New York State."

• 3 weeks later...

All the 4300s that are at Charleston have been sidelined for service. Them being at scrap is at a later process. 

4301-4302, 4308, 4310, 4315, 4317, 4323, 4327

2004-07 MCIs are still in-use at MTA Bus Co. 

Edited by Calvin
8 of these units have DO NOT USE signage on them

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

All the 4300s that are at Charleston have been sidelined for service. Them being at scrap is at a later process. 

4301-4302, 4308, 4310, 4315, 4317, 4323, 4327

2004-07 MCIs are still in-use at MTA Bus Co. 

To add... Fareboxes have been removed and put on 2022 units at Meredith Depot.

52 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

To add... Fareboxes have been removed and put on 2022 units at Meredith Depot.

That'll also be in place at Castleton when the rest of the 2022 Prevosts arrive at Meredith Depot. Newer ones will move the 2015-16 units over there to remove the 8 old CT's there. Any leftover at Meredith will (or maybe not, depends) be moved there since there are routes shared over there. Meredith will be just the 2400 Prevosts and 1557-1606 at its roster. 

Edited by Calvin

Rode an new 7900 tonight, been on them a few times but tonight I noticed that the op was stomping on the accelerator to the floor and the takeoff was average at best.

I remember when the Orion hybrids were new the op had to be gentle with the accelerator cause they was so fast. Looks like XD40 fleet peaked with the 4800s in terms of acceleration. 

Also I could be wrong, but XDE40 feels lighter in weight compared to the XD40, is that the case?

Just my observations as an passenger...

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Rode an new 7900 tonight, been on them a few times but tonight I noticed that the op was stomping on the accelerator to the floor and the takeoff was average at best.

I remember when the Orion hybrids were new the op had to be gentle with the accelerator cause they was so fast. Looks like XD40 fleet peaked with the 4800s in terms of acceleration. 

Also I could be wrong, but XDE40 feels lighter in weight compared to the XD40, is that the case?

Just my observations as an passenger...

I remember when I got on 4877 last month, and that op hauled ass on that unit. That is because it doesn't feature the LBSS activated. I didn't witness the newer XD40s with that takeoff. I will need to look for one that knows what they are doing.

1 hour ago, RSMG106 said:

I remember when I got on 4877 last month, and that op hauled ass on that unit. That is because it doesn't feature the LBSS activated. I didn't witness the newer XD40s with that takeoff. I will need to look for one that knows what they are doing.

Most 4800s have it activated. They modified the LBSS on some of them and it makes them a bit more quick. 

Extra information on depots: Some routes have school trippers at a selected depot, this is a list to clarify. 

Casey Stengel -> Q17, Q27, Q88

Queens Village -> Q20A, Q31, Q76

Michael J Quill, the Manhattan borough has one depot and route: M11

Ulmer Park -> B4 and B9 

Castleton -> S44, S57, S62, S74, S78 ....   Charleston -> S59 .... Yukon -> S55, S56, S74, S78

48 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Extra information on depots: Some routes have school trippers at a selected depot, this is a list to clarify. 

Ulmer Park -> B4 and B9 

Castleton -> S44, S57, S62, S74, S78 ....   Charleston -> S59 .... Yukon -> S55, S56, S74, S78

Flatbush: B12, B47 (In case you forgot)

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Ulmer Park -> B4 and B9 

FB has the B83 as a school tripper as well but it hasn't been seen with buses on it in awhile. The Q88 at CS as a tripper is a odd one because you rarely ever see buses on it from CS I'm not even sure what time they do trippers on that route. Also the B16 is a school tripper at Ulmer.

Edited by Ultimategamer12c

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

Ulmer Park -> B4 and B9 

I’m pretty sure QV does the trippers on the Q88. CS used to do it up until a few years ago.