MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

21 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

If those new LFS at Jamaica push out the XD40s... Seems like they will go to the various Brooklyn depots that already have XD40s AND Brooklyn has a new order of XD40s coming up (the one 7851 is apart of). Nice.

I also wouldn't be surprised if that Jamaica batch of LFS pushes some of 2011 LFS to MTA Bus... MTA Bus is supposed to get new LFSs in the near future. Why not supplement those new buses with the older LFS? 

Let’s see what the future holds for the XD40’s at JA. Hopefully, those units will go to ENY,GA and Ulmer. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Are the new XD-40s stated for Ulmer Park to receive the units? If so, it may move back the 7255-7257 and 7346-7365 back to Fresh Pond and Flatbush at some time around. 

yeah they're still slated to be receiving 20 of the 2022 XD40s

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

If those new LFS at Jamaica push out the XD40s... Seems like they will go to the various Brooklyn depots that already have XD40s AND Brooklyn has a new order of XD40s coming up (the one 7851 is apart of). Nice.

I also wouldn't be surprised if that Jamaica batch of LFS pushes some of 2011 LFS to MTA Bus... MTA Bus is supposed to get new LFSs in the near future. Why not supplement those new buses with the older LFS? 

I can see Jamaica Depot sending most of their XD40s to Brooklyn Division. They may also supply Queens Village Depot with some older LFS buses if any NG Hybrids remain.

22 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Some have said that Jamaica is losing their XD40’s but I feel like someone on here months ago said that their 2011 LFS’s would be sent somewhere else. I don’t normally believe rumors till things actually happen but I’m quite curious with this one. 

I might be the only of a few here, but if that actually happens, I wish that they can all go to Casey Stengel (CS), not Brooklyn. Those Nova Bus LFS's slated for CS can all go somewhere else, just not CS...lol. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

18 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I might be the only of a few here, but if that actually happens, I wish that they can all go to Casey Stengel (CS), not Brooklyn. Those Nova Bus LFS's slated for CS can all go somewhere else, just not CS...lol. 

I’m under this belief too. Being that CS is already full of new flyers, I would send all of JA’s XD40’s there and then have maybe a few older XD40’s from Brooklyn head to CS once Brooklyn starts getting the newer XD40’s. 
But to be honest I wouldn’t mind seeing LFS’s at CS, these buses have definitely grown on me over the years and I do believe that they will hold up longer than the XD40’s. The LFS always reminds me of a modern version of the RTS and I feel there is a reason why the LFS dominates The Bronx, Staten Island and soon Queens being that MTA Bus is getting some too. 

20 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I agree, I feel like Brooklyn should have this time been slated to get Novas, I'm a big fan of New Flyer, when it comes to Xcelsiors,  but for once it would be nice to see a Brooklyn Depot aside of ENY, but a different Depot like GA, or FP or even FB get some Novas even though FB has the artic ones, but FP I would have definitely liked to see them get because now that means Brooklyn could have more variety even though they do but still and it still looks like Brooklyn won't ever touch or get Novas no time soon again and it will be taken over by Xcelsiors... even though I don't mind that as that borough would have majority of all different range types. I feel like CS should have been in the New Xcelsiors order instead of Novas this time but the more I think about it they will definitely look good with them especially seeing thee local routes use them definitely look forward to catching them when they make a debut.

Edited by Ultimategamer12c

7 minutes ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

I agree, I feel like Brooklyn should have this time been slated to get Novas, I'm a big fan of New Flyer, when it comes to Xcelsiors,  but for once it would be nice to see a Brooklyn Depot aside of ENY, but a different Depot like GA, or FP or even FB get some Novas even though FB has the artic ones, but FP I would have definitely liked to see them get because now that means Brooklyn could have more variety even though they do but still and it still looks like Brooklyn won't ever touch or get Novas no time soon again and it will be taken over by Xcelsiors... even though I don't mind that as that borough would have majority of all different range types. I feel like CS should have been in the New Xcelsiors order instead of Novas this time but the more I think about it they will definitely look good with them especially seeing thee local routes use them definitely look forward to catching them when they make a debut.

NYCT tries to keep Nova's and New Flyers separate in the depots.  This cuts down on in house training, the mechanics knowing their buses and cuts down on the parts inventories.  I realize this may not happen all the time, but NYCT tries their best.  This is why Brooklyn is no place for Nova 40'ers.  This is why Staten Island is no place for New Flyers.  No reason to start now.  I realize that bus fans want a mixed fleet at every depot on the property, but................

11 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

NYCT tries to keep Nova's and New Flyers separate in the depots.  This cuts down on in house training, the mechanics knowing their buses and cuts down on the parts inventories.  I realize this may not happen all the time, but NYCT tries their best.  This is why Brooklyn is no place for Nova 40'ers.  This is why Staten Island is no place for New Flyers.  No reason to start now.  I realize that bus fans want a mixed fleet at every depot on the property, but................

CS getting XD40s would make this simpler (I agree that those LFSes should be diverged to elsewhere) but where would we put these LFSes since Jamaica is already getting some?

6 hours ago, NBTA said:

CS getting XD40s would make this simpler (I agree that those LFSes should be diverged to elsewhere) but where would we put these LFSes since Jamaica is already getting some?

I’d send some to Charleston.  They are the only depot that doesn’t have a local cuomo scheme set of buses. I get the notion that Brooklyn isn’t the place for novas but when you have 2 CMF’s in the borough that can definitely do work on novas. I possibly see another change on the diesel bus order forthcoming.  

The real problem is that there isn’t enough Central Maintenance Facilities in the (MTA) NYCT network and having one or 2 CMF’s in each borough can cut down costs instead of sending buses all the way to Zerega for extensive work.  

26 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I’d send some to Charleston.  They are the only depot that doesn’t have a local cuomo scheme set of buses. I get the notion that Brooklyn isn’t the place for novas but when you have 2 CMF’s in the borough that can definitely do work on novas. I possibly see another change on the diesel bus order forthcoming.  

The real problem is that there isn’t enough Central Maintenance Facilities in the (MTA) NYCT network and having one or 2 CMF’s in each borough can cut down costs instead of sending buses all the way to Zerega for extensive work.  

to be honest, over the years I've had conversations about how there isn't a CMF on staten island, a dedicated CMF for the bronx aside from the general CMF at zerega and possibly a dedicated brooklyn/queens CMF in brooklyn aside from Grand Avenue, especially now since east ny is bus company CMF. imo it makes absolutely no sense to have 3 CMF's for such a vast, diverse and growing fleet. the practices they have all in the name of saving money or to limit spending is completely ass backwards. as big as the bus company's fleet is, the logical way to do business is only have east ny be the CMF? why isn't there a feasible facility at Eastchester? aside from scrapping buses, there's no way to get that going? 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

38 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

to be honest, over the years I've had conversations about how there isn't a CMF on staten island, a dedicated CMF for the bronx aside from the general CMF at zerega and possibly a dedicated brooklyn/queens CMF in brooklyn aside from Grand Avenue, especially now since east ny is bus company CMF. imo it makes absolutely no sense to have 3 CMF's for such a vast, diverse and growing fleet. the practices they have all in the name of saving money or to limit spending is completely ass backwards. as big as the bus company's fleet is, the logical way to do business is only have east ny be the CMF? why isn't there a feasible facility at Eastchester? aside from scrapping buses, there's no way to get that going? 

I’m pointing this to MTA real estate. We had conversations in the past to where (MTA) squandered opportunities especially in Southeast Queens to built on land that is presently for the UPS plant on Springfield Boulevard is one example I bring.  Also, to effectively negotiate part of the land at Floyd Bennett Field which could of been for FB depot and possible CMF for South/Central Brooklyn & Staten Island.  This agency is really working backwards. You can’t order buses and not have enough CMF’s at least in each borough. Most extensive work is done at Zerega. Depots like Gleason help out when both Zerega and Grand get slammed. 

Part of me is like if TA gives Gleason a CMF designation it could help out part of the Brooklyn Division, but it doesn’t solves the overall problem because they have to do maintenance with their fleet is fully CNG. 

Is the re-build of Jamaica Depot going to include a CMF facility? If so, this can help out the Queens Division a lot instead of sending buses to The Bronx.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2022 at 12:18 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m under this belief too. Being that CS is already full of new flyers, I would send all of JA’s XD40’s there and then have maybe a few older XD40’s from Brooklyn head to CS once Brooklyn starts getting the newer XD40’s. 
But to be honest I wouldn’t mind seeing LFS’s at CS, these buses have definitely grown on me over the years and I do believe that they will hold up longer than the XD40’s. The LFS always reminds me of a modern version of the RTS and I feel there is a reason why the LFS dominates The Bronx, Staten Island and soon Queens being that MTA Bus is getting some too. 

Manhattan as well, via the hybrids. It seems that the MTA is giving the LFS's the Orion 5 treatment because if you noticed over the years, the LFS's are mostly taken over former Orion 5 territories. Areas that once was mostly Orion Vs are now LFS's of some kind (sometimes LFSAs too, although those replaced many of the earlier New Flyer D60HFs).

On 4/30/2022 at 12:51 AM, RSMG106 said:

Prevost will no longer be in the United States after deliveries are finished by December.

https://www.masstransitmag.com/bus/vehicles/news/21264813/ny-prevost-to-cease-plattsburgh-operations

Prevost is ending U S. manufacturing - they can still sell coaches that are built in Canada to American customers, but will not be able to participate in federally funded orders subject to the Buy America act, and we know that MTA is unlikely to buy from them after they shut down their New York plant.

13 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

A whole LOT of the new Novas are already built at the Nova plant upstate....

The buses facing the camera seem to be mostly Diesels with some hybrids sprinkled in there.

Very interesting. I counted around 14-15 LFS HEVs, and around 27 LFS Diesels in this photo, give or take a few units. There were also a couple more units, but I could not determine what those will be yet. 

Edited by 1train2255railfan