MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

Is it true that QV and JA are going to swap LFS's and Orion NG's again? While I was waiting for the bus yesterday I heard some bus enthusiast talking about how JA will take back and have all 75 NG's and QV will have all 90 LFS's again.

I didn't hear anything about a swap of 75 buses. Though it is possible, QV is just supposed to be getting the Nova's back.

So why no rear window on the XD40s? The A/C is roof-mounted as with the Novas, right?

MTA doesn't spec a rear window because it is not standard. It's an option. Yes the A/C is roof mounted on all diesel transit buses now with the exception of Gillig.

Our units were not spec'd like that. The only thing I wonder is if those buses can handle the very hot summer heat because there is that vent on the top and it doesn't look like there is much ventilation. 4899 had a different rest but the layout of it looked weird.

Summer shouldn't be an issue. Thats why the buses have this new vent for increased airflow over the rest of the 4800's excluding 4899.

Dumb question, what is the maximum types of buses a depot can have? I was thinking of this because of the situations at CAS, QV and UP 3 years ago...

There is no limit. Operations Planning and Maintenance have the final say in which buses go where.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally drove one of the new flyers hybrids I think it was number 655 and God damn. What power that had... much more powerful and comfortable as a operator than the Orion ng

Mister east new York. What are we going to get replaced with at yukon as our Orion 5s die out?

I hope just not more hybrids need some variety lol

Edited by trife86

I hope Jamaica doesn't get those NG's back, hell get rid of the others too, Jamaica does good with the novas, but it would be nice if JAMAICA gets a bacth of XD40's and new LFS to kick out the 96/7 RTS and the remaining NG's

Queens Village is beating those NG's to shit?

I mean, the question mark at the end of your statement should've made it obvious...

The way I read it didn't make it seem like a question. I thought he placed that question mark there by mistake. However now that I reread his post see what he meant.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

From What I heard ENY will get the XD40's first (I know thats already confirmed) then Jamaica Depot will be next in line for the New buses but I don't know how many, If Jamaica in fact does get XD40's, it would make sense because that's the only transit depot with most of the 96 novas

I Think Most of the Xd40's will be in Queens and Brooklyn as well as SI, I think the only bronx depot deserving to get the XD40's is kingsbridge, Gun Hill doesn't need em, they can get more hybirds to replace the Orion V's

That's what it's looking like. I see Staten Island on the horizon for a couple reasons. Castleton no longer has hybrids for the exact same reason MTA Bus will no longer have hybrids one day. Yukon is also going to need some new diesels to replace the buses on the S79SBS as they are not efficient for SBS service at all.

That's what it's looking like. I see Staten Island on the horizon for a couple reasons. Castleton no longer has hybrids for the exact same reason MTA Bus will no longer have hybrids one day. Yukon is also going to need some new diesels to replace the buses on the S79SBS as they are not efficient for SBS service at all.

They've been on the horizon for a long time now. At the end of the day, they'll be with a completely new fleet of local and express buses, as the lowest in terms of year would be 2007.

Right. The question is will they only get Xcelsiors, or will they get Nova's as well.

We also have major updates in the first post of this thread. Including the listing for the next CNG procurement. 

See the new Bus Test & Evaluation threads here

Edited by East New York

They've been on the horizon for a long time now. At the end of the day, they'll be with a completely new fleet of local and express buses, as the lowest in terms of year would be 2007.

LOL... I still have flashbacks of the Orions on Staten Island when we'd be on the bus and the handrails were partially held together with duct tape. LMAO.  

LOL... I still have flashbacks of the Orions on Staten Island when we'd be on the bus and the handrails were partially held together with duct tape. LMAO.  

And flapping clearance lights held on by the wires leading to the bulbs.

Wrong.. A bet I hope New Flyer will get new order to built 140 new CNG bus for West Farms Depot . The number of 140 new CNG bus will be the continuing order of #673 - 812 ( 140 bus ).. For New Flyer CNG bus ... As New Flyer built 2012 - 2013 C40LF CNG bus #185 - #672 ( 489 bus ).. They will continuing their order .. I hope New Flyer can built continue order of C40LF New Flyer . Not Nova Bus LFS.. New Flyer Industries should finish their order ex: New Flyer C40LF CNG