Dilapidated subway stations at 149th and 138th Streets on track for 'major' upgrades

Harry

Two long-neglected borough subway stations are finally getting a much-needed makeover, authorities announced Monday.

The good news comes after months of advocacy by local officials and straphangers - and two Bronxites on the Metropolitan Transportation Authority board.

The MTA is to start major renovations to the 149th St./Grand Concourse and the 138th St./3rd Ave. subway stations next spring.

Read more: New York News, Local Video, Traffic, Weather, NY City Schools and Photos - Homepage - NY Daily News

Please tell me what communities actually TURN DOWN the renovation or rehabilitation of their subway or elevated stations? I'd really like to know.

Local politicians love to say what they are doing for their neighborhoods, the "goodies" that they are brought to the neighborhood, etc. Especially if the money to do so is "free" - it is not out of that local politician's own budget, but rather comes from some other place. Nobody turns down "free money" to do stuff - unless they are Tea-Bag Republicans.

Now this is not the same as "complaining". Folks complain all of the time. They complain about the pace of the work, and hassles of life while the work is going on, and whatever they can think of while the work is underway. They also complain that MORE should be done, but of course the paying for the "more" should be the responsibility of someone else. Then at ribbon cutting time - everybody is all smiles for the cameras.

Just some observations.

Mike

Please tell me what communities actually TURN DOWN the renovation or rehabilitation of their subway or elevated stations? I'd really like to know.

Local politicians love to say what they are doing for their neighborhoods, the "goodies" that they are brought to the neighborhood, etc. Especially if the money to do so is "free" - it is not out of that local politician's own budget, but rather comes from some other place. Nobody turns down "free money" to do stuff - unless they are Tea-Bag Republicans.

Now this is not the same as "complaining". Folks complain all of the time. They complain about the pace of the work, and hassles of life while the work is going on, and whatever they can think of while the work is underway. They also complain that MORE should be done, but of course the paying for the "more" should be the responsibility of someone else. Then at ribbon cutting time - everybody is all smiles for the cameras.

Just some observations.

Mike

Yeah, maybe they didn't put aside any monies for the project, but they took their own time lobbying for those stations to be rehabbed, which usually means employees from their office being assigned to follow up on those things, which means that time is being spent in any event, which certainly equals money. You have to vocal or you don't get your fair share. Vito Fossella was very vocal in his attempts to improve express bus service along with the South Ferry station and today we are reaping some of the benefits that he pushed through such as the HOV lane on the Gowanus. The South Ferry subway station is another issue though, as that station is already falling apart. :P

Sounds great! 149th is in definitely need of a renovation. The station looks grimy and 138th isn't much better.

By the way, on a separate note, does anyone know where that walkway located on the (2) and (5) platform goes to (1st car S/B, last car N/:). It's not connected to the main mezzanine (to the best of my knowledge).

Thank God!!! This is long, LONG overdue. Like Subway Guy said, they need to do all the (6) line stations, especially the underground stations.

I did find it odd that they would do through Parkchester, but leave those farther north alone (for now). When they did the (2) line, they basically did them all simultaneously. Same thing with the (4) although some were delayed (remember the partial station collapse at Mosholu Parkway).

Archived