What is the most important line in the subway system?

JubaionBx12+SBS

That is the question to answer in this thread. One could also think of it this way, Which existing line (individual, not trunk) if cut entirely would cause the greatest public outrage? Please answer with one individual line or a top 5 ranking and only use trunk lines to back up the case for the line you pick not as answers themselves. I will chime in with an answer myself after some thought on this.

That is the question to answer in this thread. One could also think of it this way, Which existing line (individual, not trunk) if cut entirely would cause the greatest public outrage? Please answer with one individual line or a top 5 ranking and only use trunk lines to back up the case for the line you pick not as answers themselves. I will chime in with an answer myself after some thought on this.

Cut any of the existing lines you will have outrage. There is no most important line at this point. Each one has a job that it does and is needed for that reason. This is just another way of asking "which line is your most important line". Everybody here is gonna have a different answer but in reality none of the lines are any more important than the others.

Well, I guess if it's in terms of ridership, then the Lexington Avenue line has the most ridership. So I would guess its elimination would cause the most outrage, seeing that it's the only line on the East Side (at least for now).

I would say that all subway lines are important. Just look at what happened to Cincinnati since they couldn't complete their subway, but one of the most busiest and most important subway lines in the system would be the Lexington Avenue Line (4)(5)(6). The (6) alone carries 800,000 riders a day.

Cut any of the existing lines you will have outrage. There is no most important line at this point. Each one has a job that it does and is needed for that reason. This is just another way of asking "which line is your most important line". Everybody here is gonna have a different answer but in reality none of the lines are any more important than the others.

I understand that very well, hence why I didn't answer my own question. I really want to see the foam that will ensue from my fellow posters and thought this question would be great for it. B)

Not really, most of them just uses the express buses....

Though technically the (C) is probably the least important of the lines listed because it is a local (A). The (A) could technically serve all the stops without the (C), but it would be unbarable for Rockaway riders.

the (C) is defenately needed! The (A) would be way too long and slow of a line if the (C) wasnt there, and its not just for the rockaways, if you need to get to the cloisters or fort tyron park and you gotta sit thru every little stop its way too long of a trip.

As mentioned there's not really any subway line that's important in it's own right. However there can be important subway lines. All the suway line help each other out in balancing passengers out on the line they represent & places they go to.

Ex. The (4), (5), (6) even out in the bronx (especially around Grand Concourse & City Hall). The (N), (Q), (R) lines gets almost (if not all) fair share of passengers on the Broadway line like on Union Square & Herald Square. Then there's places like Lower Manhattan. Intersecting Lines like the (6), (J), (Z) etc lines help serve wall street with people coming from different boroughs. Same goes for Chambers St/WTC with the (A), (C), (E), (J), (Z) lines.

If I was to choose the most serious lines in city the ones I would think of are: (A), (B), (C), (D), (E), (F), (G), (M), (N), (Q), (R), (1), (2) or (3) & (7) & all the lexington ave lines. At this point I wouldn't cut any lines right now as they are too important

I would list some more but I don't want to bore people & I need 2 help now, lol

the (C) is defenately needed! The (A) would be way too long and slow of a line if the (C) wasnt there, and its not just for the rockaways, if you need to get to the cloisters or fort tyron park and you gotta sit thru every little stop its way too long of a trip.

I mentioned the (C) because it is the only line that mirrors another line from end to end. All other lines follow similar routes but eventually branches off to different terminals or routes. That's not to say the (C) was useless. I did say it was important to help the (A). But that said, among the lines listed currently running, imo, it is the least important.

I mentioned the (C) because it is the only line that mirrors another line from end to end. All other lines follow similar routes but eventually branches off to different terminals or routes. That's not to say the (C) was useless. I did say it was important to help the (A). But that said, among the lines listed currently running, imo, it is the least important.

I would have given that title to the (Z) or the (B) personally

There is no "important line" in the system. All lines are important regardless of how long or short it is.

As long as theres riders riding that line, then its good!

If ridership declines on a line, then the transit system would have to discontinue the line, combine or make changes to the line to save money.

Mmmm I've been wondering which individual line is the busiest one in NYC. I think if the (4) was eliminated, it would be pure hell in the city since it has so many passengers in the 3 boroughs it goes to.

Related question: We know the Lex line is the busiest line of all the lines but which individual line is the busiest, the (4), the (5) or the (6)?

Mmmm I've been wondering which individual line is the busiest one in NYC. I think if the (4) was eliminated, it would be pure hell in the city since it has so many passengers in the 3 boroughs it goes to.

Related question: We know the Lex line is the busiest line of all the lines but which individual line is the busiest, the (4), the (5) or the (6)?

Easy, to me it's the (4)

All subway lines have their share of importance. Whether one line gets higher ridership than the other they are all responsible for moving the millions of people who use it. I think that's all that matters.

Well if the (Q) didn't exist there would be a minimal impact. Commutes might get increased by 5-10 minutes but nothing major. It overlaps the (N) in Queens and Manhattan and the (B) in Brooklyn.

Same could apply to the (E), but commuters heading for West Midtown from Queens would have a significantly longer commute. In Queens it's overlapped, for the most part, by the (F) as well as the (M)(R), and in Manhattan it's overlapped by the (C).

You could also eliminate the (C) and make the (A) run local.

All stations except for 1 on the (E) all the way out in Queens would be unaffected by those changed. However I do not think any subway lines should be eliminated because the other trains running there will get much more crowded and there will be larger gaps in service. I was just giving a few examples just to point them out.

Well if the (Q) didn't exist there would be a minimal impact. Commutes might get increased by 5-10 minutes but nothing major. It overlaps the (N) in Queens and Manhattan and the (B) in Brooklyn. Same could apply to the (E)

Tell it to the people on Brighton and Queens Boulevard lines waiting for a train at night.

FYI

(B) trains do not operate overnight

(E) trains run local in Queens overnight

(R) trains operate in Brooklyn only, between 95th st. and 36th/59th sts.

Do I need to explain further?!

Archived