FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As some of you may know, I am in graduate school @ NYU-Poly in Brooklyn. For one of my classes, Management of Transit Maintenance and Operations, I have to do a 10+ page paper on a subway-related topic. I chose FASTRACK.

The other day, I was talking to the Professor (whose name I will keep anonymous) about what I should include in the paper to get a very high grade. He mentioned to me the following:

-Why FASTRACK was not done in the past?

-Safety issues/flagging issues (since a track worker got killed in the past relating to this)

-Something changing over time

-Increasing the safety measure

I was looking on the internet for any material relating to this and I was not successful. I do plan on referring more to the Press Release and the Line Segment Closure Program Presentation that was released on November 14, 2011, however if anyone has any information relating to this I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I would watch board meeting videos, there are some interesting comments about debris/fires/delays as well as the productivity benefit.

Also the psychological factor of closing an entire line, compare with other cities who close overnight (or do segment closures like London recently did on their Central Line)

• 4 weeks later...

New FASTRACK corridors coming in 2013:

--- Lexington Ave. — (4)(5)(6) between Grand Central Station and 125th St. in Manhattan.

--- Queens Blvd. — (E)(F)(M)(R) lines from Fifth Ave./53 St., Manhattan, to Roosevelt Ave., Queens.

--- Eighth Ave. — (A)(C) lines between 168th St. and 207th St., Manhattan.

--- Broadway — (N)(Q)(R) lines from Court St., Brooklyn, to Queensboro Plaza, Queens.

--- Concourse — (B)(D) lines from 161 St./Yankee Stadium, the Bronx, to 205th St., the Bronx. [To be first and start on Jan 14th]

Source: Read more here

Edited by NovaCSW8030

--- Lexington Ave. — (4)(5)(6) between Grand Central Station and 125th St. in Manhattan.

--- Queens Blvd. — (E)(F)(M)(R) lines from Fifth Ave./53 St., Manhattan, to Roosevelt Ave., Queens.

--- Broadway — (N)(Q)(R) lines from Court St., Brooklyn, to Queensboro Plaza, Queens.

--- Concourse — (B)(D) lines from 161 St./Yankee Stadium, the Bronx, to 205th St., the Bronx. [To be first and start on Jan 14th]

Here's more info

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/books/docs/FasTrack2012Results%20_2013%20Plans.pdf

This strikes me as a bad idea for the Queens Blvd line, it's not like there's really much by way of alternative lines for people between Steinway St. and Roosevelt Ave. And their whole thing about fastrack specifically states that they don't want to put shuttle buses into place. So I suppose for three weeks this year those of us in that part of queens have a 10pm curfew :-|

This strikes me as a bad idea for the Queens Blvd line, it's not like there's really much by way of alternative lines for people between Steinway St. and Roosevelt Ave. And their whole thing about fastrack specifically states that they don't want to put shuttle buses into place. So I suppose for three weeks this year those of us in that part of queens have a 10pm curfew :-|

When in doubt, use the (7) to a LGA route. I'm just saying, it's just from 10pm to 6 am. I think people can survive a week......... I guess. Eh, They'll back fiiiine. ^_^ Edited by NovaCSW8030

The QBL line will have shuttle bus replacement as well.

Here's how I understand it (if I'm wrong please correct me):

-Traditional FASTRACK: Suspension of a line segment every night for (typically) 4 consecutive overnight periods, between 10pm and 5am each night.

-Weekend Daytime FASTRACK: Sounds like a suspension of a line segment from 4am-10pm or 7am-7pm, something like that.

-One week FASTRACK: Suspension of a line segment for an entire week.

Regarding those one week FASTRACK's (if they are indeed 24-hours):

-The Nostrand line closure won't be a worst case scenario since that is Regents week: The HS students that arent testing probably don't have classes that week (1/21-25). Plus one of the days is MLK day. This could be ugly.

-Nassau line's a tossup

-Fourth Avenue south of 36th? Not so bad, we'll just see (N) trains on the West end and (R) trains heading into 9th Avenue.

-Closing CPW for a week would be quite a ballsy move. This one might be the ugliest one since the IRT would have to absorb the load (and they don't have much room.)

-Closing Rutgers would be a tossup as well.