Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

Interesting. In theory what would the effect of Queens bound (A) 's terminating at Jay have on the entire route? Would the Queens bound trains terminate on the Brooklyn side wait for the next Manhattan bound train to leave then pull out or would the Q/B (A) use the cross and pull in on the Manhattan side?

Once the trains terminated at Jay Street on the Queens bound track, they reversed direction straight out of the station and crossed over to the Manhattan bound track out of service. The Manhattan bound trains continued to stop as scheduled as Nottbound service was not affected.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due to a rail condition at 149 Street Grand Concourse, East 180 Street will be last stop for some downtown  (5) trains. 137 Street-City College (1) station and Harlem 148 Street  (3) station will be the last stop for some  (2) trains. Expect delays on the  (1)  (2)  (3)  (5) trains.

Sunday,July 10 2016

Has anyone seen the reports surrounding the unauthorized person on the tracks who was killed on the R Line at 77th Street this morning? It seems that the local rags are playing this one up involving the train operator. Look for another one of those come out of the woodwork groups that want to put all this stuff to stop people from jumping on the tracks. I would like to ask  a question of these groups  who obviously do not care about the health of the train operator who has to live with this for his/her entire life and who they do not care about at all. What are your doing to stop these individuals  to prevent them from doing this in the first place except talk. What  I fear is that the health of the train operator and all the other train operators as well will get lost here as one of these groups useless mouthpieces will gain control of the discussion and with the cooperation of the phony pretend journalists in the "media" place the blame in the wrong place as usual.

In all honesty, what can they do? Platform doors are a non-starter for obvious reasons. Slowing down the trains like the TWU proposed a few years back following another rash of people struck by trains is also not an option. The only things we really can do are increase the number of police officers in the stations, which would be quite a serious expense, or continue with the MTA's plan for object detection on the tracks.

In my opinion, this is what I think:

People who fall onto the tracks accidentally when a train is coming towards the station have two options:

Either to dive down into the deeper section of the track and try to make themselves as small as possible,

-OR-

Run towards the other end of the station as fast as they can (depending if the T/O pulls the emg in time) in order to out run the train and get safe.

Now for these suiciders and trespassers: 

There's really no solution except motion sensors like they have on the trail tracks at Broad St, but even that wouldn't stop someone from jumping in front of a train.

I have to agree as to what can the train operator do especially if the person wants to commit suicide? What this person is doing is putting the burden on the train operator to help him do it. It is quite honestly a selfish act as it does not take into consideration the effect that it will have on the operator but when a person is determined to do it, they do not care about the person who becomes their helper in this matter.

What I find totally wrong in the two articles was the use of the term "taken into custody" which has the connotation that the train operator committed a crime which is where the phrase is commonly used. There is no proof that a crime was committed in the first place but yet if you look at the headlines and read the article, it is this phrase that makes a mockery of the entire report. Taking it one step further, the train operator is presumed  guilty which is totally outrageous as the train operator was in a state of panic after the incident happened. May I ask how many other people would have not reacted the same way?  This is the reason that there is such dislike for many "reporters" as they are not journalists anymore but shills who do not do their  homework  and watch what they say in writing a story such as this one.  It is terrible that this incident happened but to write a report where the choice of words is totally outrageous. 

I have to agree as to what can the train operator do especially if the person wants to commit suicide? What this person is doing is putting the burden on the train operator to help him do it. It is quite honestly a selfish act as it does not take into consideration the effect that it will have on the operator but when a person is determined to do it, they do not care about the person who becomes their helper in this matter.

What I find totally wrong in the two articles was the use of the term "taken into custody" which has the connotation that the train operator committed a crime which is where the phrase is commonly used. There is no proof that a crime was committed in the first place but yet if you look at the headlines and read the article, it is this phrase that makes a mockery of the entire report. Taking it one step further, the train operator is presumed  guilty which is totally outrageous as the train operator was in a state of panic after the incident happened. May I ask how many other people would have not reacted the same way?  This is the reason that there is such dislike for many "reporters" as they are not journalists anymore but shills who do not do their  homework  and watch what they say in writing a story such as this one.  It is terrible that this incident happened but to write a report where the choice of words is totally outrageous. 

Agree, but unfortunately, these reporters many times are under major time pressure to get the story up by their supervisors and they want it often sensationalized to sell more papers/get more clicks.  That is a real problem.  

What about those detectors at Rector Street on the (R)?

IIRC they had a LED square at the entrance to the station that could display a green check or a red x depending on whether or not it detected something in the track bed.

If they do add wifi to subway trains, I'm sure that there is a way to connect the trains to the sensors on a separate and private wifi network and send alerts to nearby trains (on the TOD) warning them ahead of time of an issue at a nearby station. Connect the train to the ROC and maybe they could override trains and force them to stop before a 12/9 occurs.

These are all just ideas, that could possibly be implemented. I have no experience in this area and am just brainstorming ideas.

What about those detectors at Rector Street on the (R)?

IIRC they had a LED square at the entrance to the station that could display a green check or a red x depending on whether or not it detected something in the track bed.

If they do add wifi to subway trains, I'm sure that there is a way to connect the trains to the sensors on a separate and private wifi network and send alerts to nearby trains (on the TOD) warning them ahead of time of an issue at a nearby station. Connect the train to the ROC and maybe they could override trains and force them to stop before a 12/9 occurs.

These are all just ideas, that could possibly be implemented. I have no experience in this area and am just brainstorming ideas.

Would definitely help, but it would never fully eliminate the issue because there will be those who jump as the train is coming into the station at almost full speed.

Delays  Posted: 07/13/2016  1:28PM 

Due to a power outage, expect extensive delays on all train lines.  

Allow additional travel time.

Power outage at RCC.

http://abc7ny.com/traffic/all-subway-lines-experiencing-delays-across-nyc-due-to-power-issue/1425312/

Edited by darrylbaniaga38

Due to an electrical issue at the Rail Control Center, NYC Transit is ‎experiencing delays on the 1 2 3 4 5 6 lines. Countdown Clock information is currently unavailable.We apologize for any inconvenience. Monitor Service Status on this page or follow @NYCTSubway for the latest updates.

I just happened to be on one of those quite rare trips to Manhattan today just at the time the power outage happened. I was heading home from 23rd Street-6th Avenue at 1:20 PM and noticed that the platform was unusually crowded for that time of day. When the F train came, it was very crowded and when I got off the train at West 4th Street, I heard something about problems on the 1,2, & 3 Lines and advising riders to use the letter lines. While I was waiting for the B, an M followed the F train then it was followed by another F and an M all in the span of about 10 minutes. This indicated that the power problem may have impacted o.n those lines for a short time

Service Change  Posted: 07/13/2016  5:36PM 

Due to a sick passenger at Morrison Av-Soundview, the following service changes are in effect:

Southbound 6.png trains are running with delays.

Some southbound 6.png trains are running express from Parkchester to Hunts Point Av.

Delays  Posted: 07/13/2016  5:18PM 

Service is running with residual delays, following an earlier incident.

Train arrival information and station announcements are not available at this time.

Due to an power outage, expect extensive delays on  (1)  (2)  (3)  (4)  (5)  (6)  (7)  (A)  (B)  (C)  (D)  (E)  (F)  (G)  (J)  (L)  (M)  (N)  (Q)  (R)  (S) and  (Z) trains.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: ......

Why can't they just say "Due to an power outage, all subway lines are ****ed up experiencing extensive delays. Allow additional travel time. Passengers might use uberPOOL, walk, or just don't travel at all."

Edited by HenryB

I experienced quite the phenomenon during that RCC outage yesterday: I was on an uptown (D) train that was running pretty empty through Midtown, but after we left Midtown the train actually got filled quickly, probably with people from the numbered lines looking for another way around. All the southbound (D) trains in the Bronx were filled pretty good too from people that would otherwise fill the (4).

The (D) line handled the extra crowds pretty well, but God help the (4) line if there's ever a B-division outage; the 4 can barely accommodate its own riders on a normal day!

So they're blaming this on the heat? LOL I ordered a cappuccino earlier and drank part of it outside, which I rarely do in the summertime since it wasn't that hot out.

I don't know what caused this outage. I don't believe they released any info on the cause. I was just remarking on what's usually blamed for these power failures.

Due to switch problems at Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer, the following service changes are in effect:

(E) trains are running on the (F) line from Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike to Jamaica-179 St in both directions.

As an alternative, At Parsons Blvd (F) station, take Jamaica-LIRR station bound Q25, Q34 or Q65 buses for Jamaica Center and Sutphin Blvd-JFK stations.

Expect delays in both directions.

Is there enough capacity at 179 to turn all (E) and (F) trains there?