Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (7) is carrying Queens-Manhattan travel right now....

Part Suspended  Posted: 01/30/2020 10:07PM

There is no (N) train service in either direction between Lexington Av-59 St and Queensboro Plaza because of a work train experiencing a mechanical problem in the tunnel between Manhattan and Queens.

For service between Manhattan and Queens, take (7) train service.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, expect major disruptions and further service changes...

Delays  Posted: 01/30/2020 10:02PM

(A) and (C) trains are delayed in both directions while emergency teams are responding to someone who was struck by a train at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts.

UPDATE:

Part Suspended  Posted: 01/30/2020 10:25PM

There is no (A) and (C) train service in either direction between Jay St-MetroTech and Broadway Junction while emergency teams are responding to someone who was struck by a train at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts

See a station agent and receive a courtesy pass for continuing service.

Consider taking B25 bus service making nearby (A)(C)  station stops.

LIRR trains are accommodating passengers at no additional charge at the following stations:

Atlantic Av-Barclays Center, Nostrand Av, East New York and Jamaica.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

6th Avenue power is being cut off south of 23rd Street. Expect massive reroutes coming soon.

From earlier:

Which evolved into the following:

• SB (B) trains running via the (C) from Columbus Circle to Jay Street, then via the <F> to Coney Island.
  • SB (D) trains running via the (A) from Columbus Circle to Jay Street, then via the <F> to Coney Island.
  • NB (B) and (D) trains running via the (Q) from DeKalb Avenue to 96th Street.
  • (F) trains running via Crosstown, both directions.
  • (F) trains already past Roosevelt going SB and past Bergen Street NB run via 8th Avenue.
  • (M) trains to Forest Hills running instead via the (J) to Chambers Street.
  • (M) trains to Metropolitan Avenue running via the (E) between 5th Avenue and West 4th Street.
  • Delays on the (A)(B)(C)(D)(E)(F)(G)(J)(M)(N)(Q) 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:24 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

(A) and (C) trains are delayed in both directions while emergency teams are responding to someone who was struck by a train at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts.

UPDATE:

There is no (A) and (C) train service in either direction between Jay St-MetroTech and Broadway Junction while emergency teams are responding to someone who was struck by a train at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts

LIRR trains are accommodating passengers at no additional charge at the following stations:

This is where if the (C) is a 480' train, they could have it run via the (M) between West 4th and Essex and then via the (J) to Broadway Junction and terminate there.  That would at least give those in midtown going to points east of Broadway Junction a one-seat ride there and then being able to continue from there normally. 

7 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

This is where if the (C) is a 480' train, they could have it run via the (M) between West 4th and Essex and then via the (J) to Broadway Junction and terminate there.  That would at least give those in midtown going to points east of Broadway Junction a one-seat ride there and then being able to continue from there normally. 

Depending on where you’re starting from and your destination the (L) or the LIRR aren’t bad ideas. If you’re in Downtown Brooklyn the B25 stops above the subway and provides transfers to other bus routes at the subway stations. While your suggestion would be possible that (C) train would only be in the way of normal (J) service and missing from the IND Fulton service when the problem cleared up. I don’t know the particulars in this case but, unless you’re money hungry, I would hate to be on your (C) if that was my last trip and layup. We were taught to isolate any problem and not spread it around. Just my take. Heck, I’ve been on rerouted a  (5) train and ended up in Lenox yard because of trouble on Lexington Avenue and then on the WPR side. Redbirds in Lenox yard were a rarity. Carry on.

On 1/30/2020 at 10:35 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

From earlier:

Which evolved into the following:
  • SB (B) trains running via the (C) from Columbus Circle to Jay Street, then via the <F> to Coney Island.
  • SB (D) trains running via the (A) from Columbus Circle to Jay Street, then via the <F> to Coney Island.
  • NB (B) and (D) trains running via the (Q) from DeKalb Avenue to 96th Street.
  • (F) trains running via Crosstown, both directions.
  • (F) trains already past Roosevelt going SB and past Bergen Street NB run via 8th Avenue.
  • (M) trains to Forest Hills running instead via the (J) to Chambers Street.
  • (M) trains to Metropolitan Avenue running via the (E) between 5th Avenue and West 4th Street.
  • Delays on the (A)(B)(C)(D)(E)(F)(G)(J)(M)(N)(Q) 

This I gotta see...

13 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

The MTA has an issue that whenever service is messed up trains can never run normally . In this case once they got to Broadway Junction I doubt service was normal. I’m sure trains were not running normal headways. It’s not a bad idea though

15 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Depending on where you’re starting from and your destination the (L) or the LIRR aren’t bad ideas. If you’re in Downtown Brooklyn the B25 stops above the subway and provides transfers to other bus routes at the subway stations. While your suggestion would be possible that (C) train would only be in the way of normal (J) service and missing from the IND Fulton service when the problem cleared up. I don’t know the particulars in this case but, unless you’re money hungry, I would hate to be on your (C) if that was my last trip and layup. We were taught to isolate any problem and not spread it around. Just my take. Heck, I’ve been on rerouted a  (5) train and ended up in Lenox yard because of trouble on Lexington Avenue and then on the WPR side. Redbirds in Lenox yard were a rarity. Carry on.

I get that, but the idea is to be able to get (A) and (C) riders who are going east to Broadway Junction there without having to make more than one transfer if possible.  That is worth doing even if it messes the (J) up somewhat.

Sometimes, spreading the pain is the right call. 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:24 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The (7) is carrying Queens-Manhattan travel right now....

Part Suspended  Posted: 01/30/2020 10:07PM

There is no (N) train service in either direction between Lexington Av-59 St and Queensboro Plaza because of a work train experiencing a mechanical problem in the tunnel between Manhattan and Queens.

For service between Manhattan and Queens, take (7) train service.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

It took over two hours to clear and surprisingly the person didn't die. Lost a leg however. 

The crews on the (C) Train that was sitting at Franklin Avenue for over two hours sure had "Fun" especially when they ended up staying in service to finish up its trip.

9 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

It took over two hours to clear and surprisingly the person didn't die. Lost a leg however. 

The crews on the (C) Train that was sitting at Franklin Avenue for over two hours sure had "Fun" especially when they ended up staying in service to finish up its trip.

I'd rather be at Franklin Avenue IND on my line rather than where Wallyhorse wanted to send "his" (C) train 😀

Part Suspended  Posted: 02/02/2020 12:05AM

There is no (3) train service between Utica Av and New Lots Av while NYPD investigates reports of an unauthorized person on the tracks at Junius St.

As an alternative, consider taking a B14 or B15 bus. 

See a station agent for a courtesy pass for continued service. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

5 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I'd rather be at Franklin Avenue IND on my line rather than where Wallyhorse wanted to send "his" (C) train 😀

It’s not so bad if they terminate it on the middle track. As long as they send them out the other way in a timely manner back to Manhattan. But now that I think about it it requires a move to 6th line and a merge with (F) and (M) that’s not so great.

Edited by Abba

36 minutes ago, Abba said:

It’s not so bad if they terminate it on the middle track. As long as they send them out the other way in a timely manner back to Manhattan. But now that I think about it it requires a move to 6th line and a merge with (F) and (M) that’s not so great.

Thing is, East New York has exactly 0 (C) runs...

11 hours ago, Lex said:

Thing is, East New York has exactly 0 (C) runs...

Exactly. My concern was about the train crew and the equipment. Looking at the time frame for the (C) that crew and train might have been scheduled to finish up at Euclid Avenue upon arrival.. It’s easy for us to be cavalier about these things but imagine sending this run back uptown , to who knows where, on a (C) train where scheduled service has ended for the night. Whether you end up at 168th, 207th, yard or station. An RTO guy like me would look at the time and ask  “now what “ ?  I’m uptown with this train from left field when I should be home or at least on my way. Depending on the supervision uptown I might have to take the consist back south to Pitkin yard.  Either way I have to make my way back to Euclid Avenue to sign out and get home. Emergency situations do happen every day but why make things worse ? I’m sure the people on Wallyhorse’s rerouted (C) train are happy tonight. Probably some of them will complain about the system the next day. Meanwhile the train crew is screwed over with no grease and the outside observers say it’s okay, they get paid, or something to that effect. I have been in this type of situation before. Turned back south at Chambers on my last trip to Lenox Avenue on a (3) . Sent back to Utica . G.O. in effect between there and New Lots. After the last scheduled (3) left Utica I made a trip in service to Lenox. I lived in Brooklyn at the other end.. To get home I had take a bus to 149th and the Concourse, the (4) to Fulton, the (A) to Broadway-East New York and a cab from there because I didn’t want to take the (L) to Rockaway Parkway for the B6 bus that ran once an hour. BTW the dispatcher that turned us was written up and transferred after we told some people what happened to us. I remember  that when I first started posting here some of my mentors would check out the postings and call me about  “ my little Lionels “ and some posts that they saw. Back then we had more active RTO people on the board and I was told that it was our job to explain the workings of our department. I’m still trying. The Surface boards have more active employees responding it seems. I was told that many people don’t realize that just because there are tracks in the system many are unused for a reason. Just my take. Carry on.

11 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Currently outstanding

12-9 at 34th St affecting (D)(E)(F)(M)

Smoke at High St affecting (A)(C)

A brake activation at Times Sq affecting the Broadway line

What a mess

Some of the changes from the first incident included:

(M) trains suspended from Essex to 96th, instead running to Chamber Street.

Some (R) trains extended to/from Jamaica-179 Street. 

NB (E)(F) and (M) trains already on 6th Avenue were operating express from West 4th Street to 34th Street.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Also, so much for Flushing service resuming at 10 PM:

Part Suspended Posted: 2/2/20 10:32 PM

(7) train service is temporarily suspended between Mets-Willets Point and Flushing-Main St because of track maintenance in that area.

The last stop on some northbound (7) trains is 74 St-Broadway.

5 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Exactly. My concern was about the train crew and the equipment. Looking at the time frame for the (C) that crew and train might have been scheduled to finish up at Euclid Avenue upon arrival.. It’s easy for us to be cavalier about these things but imagine sending this run back uptown , to who knows where, on a (C) train where scheduled service has ended for the night. Whether you end up at 168th, 207th, yard or station. An RTO guy like me would look at the time and ask  “now what “ ?  I’m uptown with this train from left field when I should be home or at least on my way. Depending on the supervision uptown I might have to take the consist back south to Pitkin yard.  Either way I have to make my way back to Euclid Avenue to sign out and get home. Emergency situations do happen every day but why make things worse ? I’m sure the people on Wallyhorse’s rerouted (C) train are happy tonight. Probably some of them will complain about the system the next day. Meanwhile the train crew is screwed over with no grease and the outside observers say it’s okay, they get paid, or something to that effect. I have been in this type of situation before. Turned back south at Chambers on my last trip to Lenox Avenue on a (3) . Sent back to Utica . G.O. in effect between there and New Lots. After the last scheduled (3) left Utica I made a trip in service to Lenox. I lived in Brooklyn at the other end.. To get home I had take a bus to 149th and the Concourse, the (4) to Fulton, the (A) to Broadway-East New York and a cab from there because I didn’t want to take the (L) to Rockaway Parkway for the B6 bus that ran once an hour. BTW the dispatcher that turned us was written up and transferred after we told some people what happened to us. I remember  that when I first started posting here some of my mentors would check out the postings and call me about  “ my little Lionels “ and some posts that they saw. Back then we had more active RTO people on the board and I was told that it was our job to explain the workings of our department. I’m still trying. The Surface boards have more active employees responding it seems. I was told that many people don’t realize that just because there are tracks in the system many are unused for a reason. Just my take. Carry on.

The last two southbound (C) Trains ended up turning at 2nd Avenue. The (C) Train that was stuck at Franklin was the 3rd to last one northbound. The last two northbound (C) Trains from Euclid Avenue got ABD.

Regardless I do agree with you on the issue with the rerouting/short turning issues.

1 hour ago, Daniel The Cool said:

The last two southbound (C) Trains ended up turning at 2nd Avenue. The (C) Train that was stuck at Franklin was the 3rd to last one northbound. The last two northbound (C) Trains from Euclid Avenue got ABD.

Regardless I do agree with you on the issue with the rerouting/short turning issues.

Thanks for fleshing it out. 

(B) trains are running on the (C) line between 145 St and 168 St in both directions while emergency crews help someone who was struck by a train at 145 St.
Northbound (D) trains are running express from 145 St to 161 St-Yankee Stadium while emergency crews help a person who was struck by a train at 145 St.