Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

4 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

They were separate.

My (F) was slow that it got beaten by an (M) between Forest Hills and Roosevelt. The (M) left a minute after the (F) and left Roosevelt about 2 minutes before it arrived. What is up with QBL this morning?

49193447061_05098b6107_b.jpgStringline_Southbound_F_FX_Trains_1Hours_12-9-2019_9-00-35-AM-1 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

There were some gaps on the local this morning as well. Not sure what the cause was. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Trains Rerouted Posted: 12/9/19 12:43 PM

(F) and (M) trains are rerouted in Queens and Manhattan while we work to overcome an issue with the signaling system at Queensboro Plaza.

(F) trains are running on the (E) line between Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av and 5 Av/53 St and on the (M) line to/from 47-50 Sts Rockefeller Ctr in both directions.

(M) trains are running on the (F) line between 36 St and 47-50 Sts Rockefeller Ctr in both directions.

For service to/from 21 St-Queensbridge, Roosevelt Island, Lexington Av/63 St and 57 St (F) stations, use (M) trains serving those stops.

For service to/from Queens Plaza, Court Sq, Lexington Av/53 St and 5 Av/53 St (M) stations, use (F) trains serving those stops.

What is up with the Queensboro master tower that would cause the (F)/(M) swap? 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Most likely the switch at Queens Plaza is stuck again, so trains from 63rd St have to run via QBL Local and trains from 53rd St have to run express.

Usually when that happens it is announced as a switch problem. This time the NYCT twitter mentioned the tower. 

Service resumed in the meanwhile

55 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Usually when that happens it is announced as a switch problem. This time the NYCT twitter mentioned the tower. 

Service resumed in the meanwhile

IIRC, the signals tie in directly with the switches, so if the switch is functioning properly but displaying the wrong aspect, that could be the problem.

Multiple Impacts

There are delays and multiple impacts to (2) (3) (4) (5) train service while we get emergency medical assistance for someone who was struck by a train at Fulton St.

(2) trains are running on the (5) line between Nevins St and 149 St-Grand Concourse(2) trains that were already in Manhattan at the time of the incident will either run on the (1) line to South Ferry, where they will end, or will end at Times Sq-42 St or 96 St.

Northbound (3) trains in Brooklyn will end at Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr or run on the (2) line to E 180 St. Southbound (3) trains in Manhattan will either run on the (1) line to South Ferry, where they will end, or will end at Times Sq-42 St or 96 St.

All (3) train departures from New Lots Av are cancelled until further notice.

(4) (5) trains are running with delays while (2) trains run on the Lexington Av line.

There is no (2) (3) service at Fulton St.

Posted: 12/11/19 5:55 PM

They better had the (4) replace the (3) in Brooklyn between Atlantic and New Lots. Yesterday morning was like hell, with Manhattan-bound (3)s in Brooklyn departing from New Lots at longer than regular headways and that (4) that was removed from service yet sent the other way NIS to Utica. Smfh.

Part Suspended

While NYPD inspects the train that was involved in tonight's earlier incident at Fulton St, southbound (1) trains are ending at Rector St.

For service to/from South Ferry, consider taking the (R) train to Whitehall St or the M55 bus.

Posted: 12/11/19 10:24 PM

This was as a result of a young boy who was separated from his mother, and was struck by an incoming (2) train, and later pronounced deceased. 

I’m so sorry to hear about this. Very sad. 

I want to know however why the MTA choose to run the (3) in Brooklyn and terminate it at Atlantic. Why don’t they just run the (4) local from New Lots and run the a little less (2) service. There were major delays tonight it seems. Why should Lexington ave riders suffer?  I saw on some sites that (4) trains got to Manhattan from Brooklyn more then 30 min late. It shouldn’t happen. There has to be a better way to handle this.some 4 trains took 20 min just to get from Utica to Franklin. There has to be Ah better way.  Not fair to trap passengers between those stations for so long.

Edited by Abba

20 hours ago, Abba said:

I’m so sorry to hear about this. Very sad. 

I want to know however why the MTA choose to run the (3) in Brooklyn and terminate it at Atlantic. Why don’t they just run the (4) local from New Lots and run the a little less (2) service. There were major delays tonight it seems. Why should Lexington ave riders suffer?  I saw on some sites that (4) trains got to Manhattan from Brooklyn more then 30 min late. It shouldn’t happen. There has to be a better way to handle this.some 4 trains took 20 min just to get from Utica to Franklin. There has to be Ah better way.  Not fair to trap passengers between those stations for so long.

Exactly. New Lots Branch customers also should not have to suffer with longer than regular headways. Make the (4)s local in Brooklyn to/from New Lots till whatever ongoing issues on the IRT West Side Line cleared up. Whatever (3)s that are still on the road should short turn or be removed from service and stored on a nearby layup track or nearby yard during this time around.

Some Reroutes  Posted: 12/12/2019  7:30PM

Southbound (B) and (D) trains are moving at slower speeds between 7 Av and 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr because of a signal malfunction at 7 Av.

Some southbound (B) and (D) are stopping along the (C) line from 59 St-Columbus Circle to W 4 St-Washington Sq to alleviate congestion along 6 Av.

Delays  Posted: 12/12/2019  7:36PM

Southbound (B) and (D) trains are holding in stations while we investigate reports of a track fire north of DeKalb Av.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Southbound (B) and (D) trains are moving at slower speeds between 7 Av and 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr because of a signal malfunction at 7 Av.

Some southbound (B) and (D) are stopping along the (C) line from 59 St-Columbus Circle to W 4 St-Washington Sq to alleviate congestion along 6 Av.

Southbound (B) and (D) trains are holding in stations while we investigate reports of a track fire north of DeKalb Av.

What a day for the 6 Avenue Line. Earlier at 5 PM, (B) trains were terminating at 2 Avenue, holding up the (D)(F)<F>(M). The problem was also DeKalb Avenue. Luckily for the (N)(Q), they detoured around the problem via Montague Street.

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Big oof...

18 minutes ago, CenSin said:

What a day for the 6 Avenue Line. Earlier at 5 PM, (B) trains were terminating at 2 Avenue, holding up the (D)(F)<F>(M). The problem was also DeKalb Avenue. Luckily for the (N)(Q), they detoured around the problem via Montague Street.

How fun.

At least some of the trains could be kept moving. Even so, I can't help but wonder why it didn't seem like they thought to shift at least a few (B) and (D) trains to Cranberry and Culver...

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Big oof...

How fun.

At least some of the trains could be kept moving. Even so, I can't help but wonder why it didn't seem like they thought to shift at least a few (B) and (D) trains to Cranberry and Culver...

They did. There were at least two (D) trains which went down 8th and Culver. 

Sometimes I really feel dispach can do a better job handling different situations.like yesterday with the Fulton st. There is NO point in terminating the (3) at Atlantic. Especially during rush. This causes (4) and (5) trains to be held up waiting for the (3) to relay. If they really want a (3) in Brooklyn just have a shuttle to Utica and back and let the (4) and (5) (and (2)) run around the relaying (3). I know it’s very not normal for RCC to do an operation like this but it’s the only choice. (4) and (5) riders should have near normal service.( just some extra crowds maybe).i know it’s very sad what happened with the 2 year old. But you still have to maintain the railroad.

Edited by Abba

56 minutes ago, Abba said:

Sometimes I really feel dispach can do a better job handling different situations.like yesterday with the Fulton st. There is NO point in terminating the (3) at Atlantic. Especially during rush. This causes (4) and (5) trains to be held up waiting for the (3) to relay. If they really want a (3) in Brooklyn just have a shuttle to Utica and back and let the (4) and (5) (and (2)) run around the relaying (3). I know it’s very not normal for RCC to do an operation like this but it’s the only choice. (4) and (5) riders should have near normal service.( just some extra crowds maybe).i know it’s very sad what happened with the 2 year old. But you still have to maintain the railroad.

Even so, once something major happens, it's really easy to descend into chaos on multiple fronts. Ultimately, the operating environment deteriorates and the passengers get hit the hardest. Those passengers then get irate and sometimes end up creating a new situation (not necessarily within the same time frame, but you get the idea).

23 hours ago, Abba said:

Terminating at Utica Northbound would require a double relay in the face of (4)(5) trains that only have one track to get from upstairs to downstairs. If that were even possible, which it likely isn't. Checking the diagrams there's no way to set traffic to allow the (3) to platform on the lower level so the (3) would have to go down the same ramp the (4)(5) is trying to climb up *in service* which sounds like a crowding condition waiting to happen. As I remember the control lines a train can't even come down the ramp while another train is crossing to the relay.
Do you really think that would allow 'normal' service? Seems a lot worse to create a double terminal sharing a single track than a crossing move to me.

Edited by Jsunflyguy
accidentally deleted a sentence.

Are you sure?  Can the (3) come in on lower level (LOCAL track) then leave again without impacting (4) and (5) ? It would be a hard operation but it’s better then terminating at Atlantic. If it affects (4) and (5) then your right but otherwise it’s not so bad if they make announcements in the station to let people know what’s going on .Another  option is to terminate at Brooklyn Museum but that Dosent really make sense. The best thing was to just run  (4) to/from new lots local In Brooklyn and suspend the (3) . The crossing  move at Atlantic during rush is a problem cause it requires the express to be clear of trains which is tough during rush.amd also the spur track has to be clear.could be it takes time to reverse cause then it needs both express and local to be clear. If the spur track is not clear then the (N/B) 3 cannot move.  Sounds to me like Utica is better if it Dosent impact the (4) and (5) . I still don’t know why (4) and (5) trains were really heavily delayed but it really shouldn’t happen. 

Edited by Abba

1 hour ago, Abba said:

Are you sure?  Can the (3) come in on lower level (LOCAL track) then leave again without impacting (4) and (5) ? It would be a hard operation but it’s better then terminating at Atlantic. If it affects (4) and (5) then your right but otherwise it’s not so bad if they make announcements in the station to let people know what’s going on .Another  option is to terminate at Brooklyn Museum but that Dosent really make sense. The best thing was to just run  (4) to/from new lots local In Brooklyn and suspend the (3) . The crossing  move at Atlantic during rush is a problem cause it requires the express to be clear of trains which is tough during rush.amd also the spur track has to be clear.could be it takes time to reverse cause then it needs both express and local to be clear. If the spur track is not clear then the (N/B) 3 cannot move.  Sounds to me like Utica is better if it Dosent impact the (4) and (5) . I still don’t know why (4) and (5) trains were really heavily delayed but it really shouldn’t happen. 

There's one track that connects two levels, and trains doing what you're proposing would need to change directions three times just to double back.

2 hours ago, Abba said:

You’re honestly beating the dead horse. We get it. The (3) turning at Atlantic is unacceptable. Neither is Utica. Look at the track map for the answer. Just simply have the (4) and (5) replace the (2) and (3) in Brooklyn if anything goes wrong on the West Side. Simple as that. Like jeez...it’s not that hard, dude.

5 hours ago, Lex said:

There's one track that connects two levels, and trains doing what you're proposing would need to change directions three times just to double back.

I didn’t know it was that bad. The (3) turning at Atlantic is acceptable only if it relays on express track and everything else is via local.

This could all be solved by doing one thing. Just run the (3) Express on an extended headway from Franklin to Atlantic and Terminate there and relay to come back south. Have the (2)/(5) run local on Eastern Parkway Local, then up Lex. The (4) would also be Local, but would have to switch after Atlantic ofc, but at least you minimize backing up the Express on EP.