Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there new service information signs there too?

It's not at 28th as of today, and I haven't seen them yet at any Manhattan/Queens (N) station. 

I can say that 23rd Street's station entrances have also been replaced with the (R) / (W) signs. I think they're looking to have the entrance signs reflect how they're listed on the November 2016 map (depicting only weekday service, i.e. R.W). 

Edited by West End

Doesn't it seem likely that the (MTA) knew that the (W) would return when they canned it in 2010? Planning for the SAS was already well underway in 2007, and surely they knew that the rerouting of the (Q) necessitated the return of the (W). Six and a half years seems short enough to just tape over the bullets on the signs.

Edited by Skipper

That map also states that the (Q) is a part-time server of 49 Street. I wonder if that’s the case.

The (Q) will only serve 49 Street during the overnight hours starting 11/6.

Doesn't it seem likely that the (MTA) knew that the (W) would return when they canned it in 2010? Planning for the SAS was already well underway in 2007, and surely they knew that the rerouting of the (Q) necessitated the return of the (W). Six and a half years seems short enough to just tape over the bullets on the signs.

They probably knew, but those blackout stickers needed to remain in place until the (W) actually came back in conjunction with the new 2nd Avenue service. While it's possible they could simply peel some of the stickers off, others are likely stuck in place with a boatload of glue/adhesive and removing that would be more work than simply replacing the entire thing with either a brand new sign or a different cover.

That (R) does not look like the (R) on some of the other signage. Would it kill the MTA to be consistent?

It looks the same to me. Of course, considering most of the signs along Broadway date back to either 2002 or 2004 when the (W) started running local and were simply modified to show the cancellation of (W) service, it's not surprising there may be slight differences.

They probably knew, but those blackout stickers needed to remain in place until the (W) actually came back in conjunction with the new 2nd Avenue service. While it's possible they could simply peel some of the stickers off, others are likely stuck in place with a boatload of glue/adhesive and removing that would be more work than simply replacing the entire thing with either a brand new sign or a different cover.

It pains me to think of how much material is wasted every time there's an update to the system. If only the (MTA) had enough money to keep the (W) going for a little while longer, there would be less confusion and time wasted; the only change would have been literally extending the (Q), as the (N) would have remained express the whole time.

Oh well, I'm glad that things will be as they should by November 7th. I just hope that the WTC updates their 'coming soon' signage to boast the (W). The Fulton Center had the forethought to reserve three blank bullets in anticipation of (E)(W)(1) on all of their installations except for the iron awning on John Street, which looks like the most difficult to modify (and already crowded with bullets). I wonder whether they'll rearrange all the bullets to be in proper order, or just append them to the end...

heiraten-elope-fulton-center-new-york-sa

874e56d496470b835aae501318b3c1ae.jpg

fulton-center-station.jpg

The (Q) will only serve 49 Street during the overnight hours starting 11/6.

So overnight, the (Q) will serve 49 Street but not any other Broadway local stop? I was referring to the fake 2019 map where the (Q) was shown as stopping at 49 Street part-time. They usually use a lighter weight to denote that the service serves the station only on certain days of the week. They don’t do it for night service; you don’t see the (A) listed as serving any of the 8 Avenue local stations.

So overnight, the (Q) will serve 49 Street but not any other Broadway local stop? I was referring to the fake 2019 map where the (Q) was shown as stopping at 49 Street part-time. They usually use a lighter weight to denote that the service serves the station only on certain days of the week. They don’t do it for night service; you don’t see the (A) listed as serving any of the 8 Avenue local stations.

The (Q) will continue to run local between Canal and 57 St during late nights. That won't change. It won't stop at 49 St during the daytime, only at night. Just ignore that fake 2019 map, it's so poorly done. 

Edited by Mysterious2train

I'm well aware of that. I was just answering your question. Nothing more.

The (Q) will continue to run local between Canal and 57 St during late nights. That won't change. It won't stop at 49 St during the daytime, only at night. Just ignore that fake 2019 map, it's so poorly done. 

Exactly. This map was done by someone on the fly and it's obvious there was little proofreading done. I know all about that one.

@Skipper: It is what it is. The funding wasn't there, so the (W) had to go. Besides, many of the signs would've been changed regardless for the extension of the (Q). Regarding those bullet signs in the attached pictures, they'll need to be updated to reflect current service. Whether it's done neatly is another story entirely. I'm reminded of the large marquee-style signs at Times Square that has been updated rather poorly over the years. In my opinion, the MTA should stay away from such static service signs, especially when the signs are created without any consideration of how they'll look when a service is cut or added.

Hopefully if the  (T) is extended to Brooklyn, they could use the nearby Hugh L. Carey tunnel or maybe part the abandoned Atlantic Avenue tunnel. 

WHAT? Do you realize that the Brooklyn – Battery Tunnel is for cars! You can't just convert it. Also, the approach is nowhere near where the SAS will be. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7011671,-74.0091403,16z?hl=enThe Atlantic Avenue Tunnel was built in 1845, and it is not known whether it would be safe to use. There are so many problems I have with these proposals. Please think before you post something.

Is anyone planning to take the first (Q) train onto Second Avenue on the opening date?

Does anyone know if the first (Q) operating on SAS (revenue service) is going to depart from Lex-63rd, or is is going to depart down from 96th St?

Already ridden it a couple times, so I'm good....

I'm sure it's all gonna depend on what Prince Andrew wants to do. It's probably originate at either Coney Island or be a special train out of 57-7.

In my opinion, the MTA should stay away from such static service signs, especially when the signs are created without any consideration of how they'll look when a service is cut or added.

They handled it perfectly at the Fulton Center except for that awning... When you think of possible scenarios that would mess it up, it basically boils down to the extremely unlikely returns of (K)(brownM)(9)(JFK), an extremely unlikely change in (N)(6) routing, or an extremely unlikely new (S).   

WHAT? Do you realize that the Brooklyn – Battery Tunnel is for cars! You can't just convert it. Also, the approach is nowhere near where the SAS will be. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7011671,-74.0091403,16z?hl=enThe Atlantic Avenue Tunnel was built in 1845, and it is not known whether it would be safe to use. There are so many problems I have with these proposals. Please think before you post something.

To be fair, I actually didn't know the Atlantic Avenue Tunnel existed, so I appreciate him bringing it up. If the SAS is ever extended to Brooklyn, maybe it could be used, once brought up to code, to connect to the lower level of the Culver Line?

It's just a thought. If the tunnel is about to cave in or something like that, then of course it wouldn't be done.

Already ridden it a couple times, so I'm good....

I'm sure it's all gonna depend on what Prince Andrew wants to do. It's probably originate at either Coney Island or be a special train out of 57-7.

If it's anything like Hudson Yards, the first train from 96th will leave after 1 PM, with the first train to 96th being whichever train arrives at 57-7 just before 1 PM, with the new stations opening exactly at 1.

The " first train" for dignitaries would be a shuttle back and forth to 57-7 in the morning around 9-10 AM.