Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At Woodside-61 St, signs for the (7) extension were put up in February 2015, some 7 months before 34 St opened. Looks like somebody thought it was going to open long before it actually did.

http://www.mta.info/news-second-avenue-subway-2nd-ave-subway-63rd-street-capital-construction/2016/10/21/mtacc-completes

MTACC Completes Renovation of Public Plaza at 63rd Street and Third Avenue

October 21st, 2016
9704.jpg?itok=WcWOX41c

MTA Capital Construction (MTACC) today unveiled its modern update to the public plaza on the northwest corner of 63rd Street and Third Avenue, inviting the community to enjoy the renovated public space. 

As part of an intensive, community-focused design process, the agency held numerous meetings with neighborhood associations, nearby business owners, and representatives from the Royale Condominium, the entity that owns and will maintain the public space. Recommendations by the community were incorporated into the plaza’s final design.

The plaza features aluminum alloy benches that seat 31 visitors, new landscaping, state of the art lighting, bicycle racks, garbage receptacles, and a water fountain. The granite planter boxes double as seating for an additional 18 visitors.

“This important project marks a long-promised improvement to the area and is the result of a strong community partnership,” MTACC President Michael Horodniceanu. “We are proud to work with residents to make this new plaza a reality.”

Interesting that the press release doesn't mention the renovation at Lex-63 station being the reason the plaza was rebuilt; without that context it must seem pretty random for the MTA to work on an outdoor plaza, although the URL does indicate it at least, and with the new entrances at 63 St and 3 Av, people passing by can hopefully make the connection...

Signs were also hung up recently for the new entrances inside the station, so hopefully they'll open soon (before the (Q) is extended, I mean) 

FN7IRN2.jpg

Edited by Mysterious2train

I think it's to avoid a mad dash over the weekend of November 6th to make sure all of the signs are accurate.

I get that. It's a big project. You can't install a ton of permanent signs all in one day (or even in just a couple of weeks). 

But why can't they use temporary signs to make them accurate until the correct time? When new signs are put up prior to service, they should be covered by temporary signs showing current service, which station personnel can simply remove on the appropriate day. 

Or station personnel can be given temporary new signs to tape up over old signs on launch day, with sign installers coming around later to replace the temporary signs with permanent ones. A new signage project could use a combination of these methods to install permanent signs both before and after major service changes, while still having all signs be correct within one day. 

It just seems lazy to not do this. 

They said those Lex63 nameplates are temporary, right? They're quite garish.

The overlapping "LEX" lettering? My understanding is that those are permanent. 

The MTA did say at one point last year that the name tiles are temporary, but considering that they've been put up across all 4 tracks and the "real" tiles are nowhere to be found (and after all this time the renovation has dragged on and on) I think they're here to stay. 

They said those Lex63 nameplates are temporary, right? They're quite garish.

I don't think so. Unfortunately for us, that appears to be the final design. Personally, I'd take the fridge tiles from 4th Avenue over this "design". It reminds me of kindergarten when the teacher gave you a book to trace the letters on.

I get that. It's a big project. You can't install a ton of permanent signs all in one day (or even in just a couple of weeks). 

But why can't they use temporary signs to make them accurate until the correct time? When new signs are put up prior to service, they should be covered by temporary signs showing current service, which station personnel can simply remove on the appropriate day. 

Or station personnel can be given temporary new signs to tape up over old signs on launch day, with sign installers coming around later to replace the temporary signs with permanent ones. A new signage project could use a combination of these methods to install permanent signs both before and after major service changes, while still having all signs be correct within one day. 

It just seems lazy to not do this. 

That's still a lot of work to do at the 11th hour. Under your idea, the station agents would have to place all these temporary signs around on the weekend of Nov. 5th. Trying to install a bunch of signs, even temporary stickers, during the rush hour that Monday would be impossible. Your idea also assumes there's a fleet of station agents and other personnel just sitting around waiting for work. That usually isn't the case because either the booth is closed for the weekend, or it's staffed because it's in a busy station and the agent has to deal with customers and other concerns.

This poster went up today at DeKalb:

<pic removed>

Looks like the MTAs taking its posters in a new direction, like it.

Someone in their PR department probably saw Broadway and decided a marquee was appropriate. I don't see their usual slate of service change posters changing any time soon.

More stupidity!

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ave-subway-crews-carve-tunnel-wall-fit-trains-article-1.2840345

Shortly before the first test trains ran, the system's track geometry car determined that the twin bores of the 63rd Street Connector was too narrow for consists of 75-foot (23 m) cars (i.e. trains made of R46s, R68s, or R68As) to enter the line. To accommodate trains of these longer cars, crews shaved down parts of the tunnel walls by mid-October 2016, in time for the test trains.

More stupidity!

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ave-subway-crews-carve-tunnel-wall-fit-trains-article-1.2840345

Shortly before the first test trains ran, the system's track geometry car determined that the twin bores of the 63rd Street Connector was too narrow for consists of 75-foot (23 m) cars (i.e. trains made of R46s, R68s, or R68As) to enter the line. To accommodate trains of these longer cars, crews shaved down parts of the tunnel walls by mid-October 2016, in time for the test trains.

When phase 2 is suppose to be 75% done, I’ll be awaiting on the article titled: Whoops. MTA forgot to bore second tunnel!

Thats not stupidity. This is exactly what testing is for. Had it not been for the need for maximum service flexibility, this would not be a thing.

Remember, the existing system wasn't built for 75 foot cars either. Tests had to be done. Plenty of modifications had to be done at curves. Same thing here. I don't see anything wrong here.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

The chances of either of those cars going to 2nd ave are slim to none since they are banned from the lines that will be/can use 96th st as a terminal.

Among the lines that can use 96 Street as a terminal:

• (A) from Brooklyn
  • (B) from Brooklyn
  • (C) from Brooklyn
  • (D) from Brooklyn
  • (E) from World Trade Center
  • (F) from Brooklyn
  • (G) from Brooklyn
  • (J) from Queens
  • (L) from Brooklyn
  • (M) from Queens (Middle Village–Metropolitan Avenue)
  • (N) from Brooklyn
  • (Q) from Brooklyn
  • (R) from Brooklyn
  • (W) from South Ferry–Whitehall Street
  • (Z) from Queens

Thats not stupidity. This is exactly what testing is for. Had it not been for the need for maximum service flexibility, this would not be a thing.

Remember, the existing system wasn't built for 75 foot cars either. Tests had to be done. Plenty of modifications had to be done at curves. Same thing here. I don't see anything wrong here.

It is stupidity because they did not realize this earlier. This is not like when the entire system was being modified with XC-575 for 75 footers. This is a new line. They knew that 75-foot long cars could go through the tunnels, and therefore this is stupidity. I sure am glad that they realized it now instead of during revenue service.

It is stupidity because they did not realize this earlier. This is not like when the entire system was being modified with XC-575 for 75 footers. This is a new line. They knew that 75-foot long cars could go through the tunnels, and therefore this is stupidity. I sure am glad that they realized it now instead of during revenue service.

Agreed. Surely the specs said the tunnels should accommodate 75-foot cars. So someone, somewhere, screwed up. 

It is not stupidity because no one and nothing is perfect. Somewhere there was a slight mistake (which happens) and now that they are running test trains, they found the imperfection and fixed it.

How else would you want them to handle it?

Thank you! It's about time someone gets this.

Yes and even Montague still has it's ups and downs. Eastern Divison equipment (except for the 143's and 160's) are still banned from there due to clearance issue's which is why we don't have the (J) running to Prospect Park anymore.

That's actually not the main reason why the (J) to Prospect Park anymore but you're point is still valid.

And by the time the entire line is done, this sort of thing won't even be needed anymore because 75foot cars will no longer exist in this system.

The primary service to use the tunnel operates 60ft cars. They could restrict N services that use the tunnel to 60 footers as well. This is obviously for service flexibility more than anything else. While slim, the odds of D, B, and R services using the tunnel in emergencies are possible.

No need for all of that. It's not stupidity as I said before.

Lastly, on the topic of modifying the existing system for 75 footers. Of course the entire system wasn't modified. The A division could never run cars that long. While the Dual Systems portions of the IRT network could accommodate a maximum of 67 foot cars, the portions built as the original subway were too tight and could not be modified, preventing the purchase of 65 foot cars for the A Div. So tunnels would not have to have been shaved back at curves regardless.

Edited by LTA1992