Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

Well the week before they are going to run trains (OUT OF SERVICE) from 57th St to 96th St, reverse, then go into service at 57th St.

Completely irrelevant to the inquiry. Those aren't passenger carrying trains and are therefore not the official "First Train".

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

n6grQ9M.jpg?1

It looks like they just put up a new sign.

PHOTOS: MTA Installing New W Train Signs in Chelsea Yes, the W train is really happening, and we have the photos to prove it.
By Mark Osborne (Patch Staff) - October 17, 2016 12:08 pm ET 

img_0755-1476720391-5849.jpg

CHELSEA, NY — There's no going back on the W train now. The MTA was out bright and early on Monday morning installing signs for the upcoming re-debut of the W train.

Patch caught MTA workers installing the signs at the 28th Street station just before 10 a.m. on Monday. The W train is not officially scheduled to return until Nov. 7. In the meantime, tourists will probably be very confused as to why there are N trains coming and not W trains.

full article http://patch.com/new-york/chelsea-ny/photos-mta-installing-new-w-train-signs-chelsea

Is anyone planning to take the first (Q) train onto Second Avenue on the opening date?

Does anyone know if the first (Q) operating on SAS (revenue service) is going to depart from Lex-63rd, or is is going to depart down from 96th St? 

This is like going to a blog or article’s comments section and posting “first!” I’ll wait for the crowds to disperse on opening day.

Are you trying to imply something...?

I definitely am...

This is like going to a blog or article’s comments section and posting “first!” I’ll wait for the crowds to disperse on opening day.

I'll be there in the middle of the night after it opens. You know, when the kids are sleep and whatnot lol

Edited by Turtle

To be fair, I actually didn't know the Atlantic Avenue Tunnel existed, so I appreciate him bringing it up. If the SAS is ever extended to Brooklyn, maybe it could be used, once brought up to code, to connect to the lower level of the Culver Line?

It's just a thought. If the tunnel is about to cave in or something like that, then of course it wouldn't be done.

I don't think that the tunnel would cave in. It connects to the Atlantic Branch of the LIRR, and to reach the Culver Line you would have to totally rebuild the whole Atlantic Avenue station. It would cost billions of dollars. A new connection to the Culver Line is not needed.

I don't think that the tunnel would cave in. It connects to the Atlantic Branch of the LIRR, and to reach the Culver Line you would have to totally rebuild the whole Atlantic Avenue station. It would cost billions of dollars. A new connection to the Culver Line is not needed.

The tunnel does not connect to the LIRR Atlantic Branch today. IIRC it's just an isolated tunnel segment under a short section of Atlantic Avenue around Court St. I remember a gentleman named Bob Diamond used to give tours of the tunnel for a while but the city stopped them because of "safety concerns". Today's IRT/BMT complex at Atlantic Avenue-Barclay's preclude any attempt to connect with the tunnel today. Carry on.

Google Maps happens to show otherwise:

Ar3TI0X.png

That tunnel would have to dip quite a bit to make the curve and the connection though, no?

Truth be told, an under river tunnel coming from there would be too deep to use that tunnel. However, how F trains currently get to the lower level and the need for reconstruction of both those ramps and maybe even moving the station slightly north, I'd rather just leave things as they are.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Edited by LTA1992

how is the first few trains of the W going to terminate at 86th's street IN Brooklyn since it is being renovated!

The MTA should just have the first few trains of the W terminate at Coney island-stillwell ave.

Good point. I think they'll just drop out at Kings Hwy southbound and start at Bay Parkway northbound.

Very insignificant thought, but I wonder how they'll address the re-addition of the (W) on the (2) and (5) programs. Seen in the video below, there was a dedicated transfer announcement at Union Sq. So I wonder if they'll bring that back, or just edit in the letter 'W' in the current Charlie Pellett transfer announcement.

https://youtu.be/zO_gv5Zoib8?t=2m28s

anyone planning to ride the first (W) train (W train party) this yr?

I'm up for it if others are (especially if you're talking about the first (W) leaving Ditmars).

Very insignificant thought, but I wonder how they'll address the re-addition of the (W) on the (2) and (5) programs. Seen in the video below, there was a dedicated transfer announcement at Union Sq. So I wonder if they'll bring that back, or just edit in the letter 'W' in the current Charlie Pellett transfer announcement.

https://youtu.be/zO_gv5Zoib8?t=2m28s

I guess we'll have to see. They had Charlie Pellett replace the pre-2010 (5) train weekday announcement for Union Square after the (W) was eliminated, even though it was identical to the (5) train weekend announcement. 

So with all these (W) bullets popping up 2~3 weeks prior to relaunch, how is the (MTA) ensuring that tourists don't get confused?

This does seem like extremely poor planning. Surely it wouldn't be difficult to install the new permanent signage, but at the same time cover it with temporary signs that reflect current service. Then on  (W)  launch day, station personnel could just take down the temporary signs. Why aren't they doing something like that?

This does seem like extremely poor planning. Surely it wouldn't be difficult to install the new permanent signage, but at the same time cover it with temporary signs that reflect current service. Then on (W) launch day, station personnel could just take down the temporary signs. Why aren't they doing something like that?

Most of these (W) signs were never removed in 2010 and simply had the old stickers covering them removed. The only new signs I've seen are at the entrances to 23rd, 28th and 49th. All of the (currently) correct service signs in stations are still up.