Fixing the M60 Route from Delays?

aemoreira81

:D ! Just shows if you yell about something enough people will listen to you! I'm so glad they finally gave us artics, (I didn't complain when they had the O7's because they had luggage racks, but then once they pulled out the RTS's.....) And now they're giving us SBS+! From the start, I said we should get SBS, because that would solve literally, every problem the M60 has! (The artics will solve crowding (back when they didn't have artics), the bus lanes will solve the traffic problem, and off-board fare collection will solve the problems when over 25+ get on a single stop)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, you'd think 125th St would be one of the first streets to have a bus lane, it has more than enough bus service to justify it, and the buses are just so slow on that block when traffic is nigh. You could argue that traffic would make it useless, especially traffic headed to the Willis Av and Triboro Bridges, but you could also pull that angle for a few other streets with bus lanes (42nd St and the Lincoln, for example)

January seems way too early for me for SBS on the Bx41. I mean, we've haven't seen a list of stops yet, and really the project is still in the design ideas phase. Plus, other sources I've seen say Fall. Maybe the MTA is trying to not drag their feet anymore with this SBS stuff, but I'll believe it when I see it. The MTA considering the idea of the Bx55 too is interesting, although to be effective I think it'd have to start simultaneously with the Bx41.

So I guess here's what I do for a list of M60 stops

All this SBS talk makes me wonder what became of that plan for the B46 East New York cryptically mentioned a few months back. Granted, it might be for the better that it never resurfaced.

I didn't mean 125th would be the one to get Bus lanes before anything. I mean before 181st Street. 125th is far worst the up in Washington Heights. But mainly if traffic is continuing to go across it. 181st Street does have traffic issues, but mainly PM rush is worst.

If traffic on 125th Street does not resolve, then I suggest just temporary rerouting the M60. (But that I doubt would be needed yet)

For your SBS stops, I would make it just one stop for one:

123rd / Lasalle St make it one. 125th Street is not far if merged.

5th/Madison make it one

Park and Lex make it one

And yeah, for the Bx41, that I'm on the wait and see.

They should have regular M60 service and M60 SBS service. The M60 SBS would travel nonstop between Manhattan and La Guardia via the Grand Central Parkway. (And I've seen plenty of buses deadheading on the grand central even though it's a parkway)

If they do that, I don't know if people along 125th Street would be happy not getting +Select, especially how slow the corridor is. If it improves, then possibly.

Methinks M60 +SBS is a good idea and a long time coming. Hopefully they'll implement bus lanes on 125 St to speed travel on all buses traversing the corridor. However, enforcement of said lanes is key; the Bx12 +SBS could certainly use more of that.

Since others brought up some ideas, I'll add mine to the mix:

M60 +SBS stops - my idea

from Broadway/106

Broadway/Cathedral

Broadway/116

Broadway/120

Amsterdam/123

125/Amsterdam

125/St. Nicholas

125/Adam Clayton Powell

125/Malcolm X (Lenox)

125/5

125/Park

125/Lex

125/2

Hoyt/31

Astoria/Steinway

Astoria/49

Astoria/77

Astoria/82

23/94

LGA/Lot 1

LGA/Delta

from LGA/Delta

LGA/US Airways Shuttle

LGA/US AIrways Main

LGA/Lot 3

LGA/Main Terminal

LGA/American Airlines

Bowery Bay/Fiorello

LGA/Lot 6

LGA/Marine Terminal

Astoria/82

Astoria/77

Astoria/49

Astoria/Steinway

Hoyt/31

125/2

125/Lex

125/Park

125/5

125/Malcolm X (Lenox)

125/Adam Clayton Powell

125/St. Nicholas

Amsterdam/123

Broadway/119

Broadway/116

Broadway/Cathedral

Broadway/106

For potentially faster service, along 125 St the bus could only make stops where connections to subway/MNR exist (as well as M15 +SBS), eliminating three additional stops s/b and two n/b. Also, if Q19 service is increased, you could potentially have fewer stops along Astoria Blvd as well.

They should have regular M60 service and M60 SBS service. The M60 SBS would travel nonstop between Manhattan and La Guardia via the Grand Central Parkway. (And I've seen plenty of buses deadheading on the grand central even though it's a parkway)

If they do that, I don't know if people along 125th Street would be happy not getting +Select, especially how slow the corridor is. If it improves, then possibly.

125 St needs some form of +select (limited stops, bus lanes - preferably both); the other crosstown buses are sufficient for local service. I think the M60 should become an all-SBS route.

According to the Capital Plan Dashboard...

-S79 SBS in Sep 2012

-B44 SBS in Sep 2013

-M60 SBS in Oct 2013

-Bx55 SBS in Nov 2013

What is this M60 SBS? Haven't seen any plans anywhere...

How do they pick out some of these lines? Out of a hat? Seriously, I don't understand why the Bx55 is getting SBS. If you look at it from a ridership standpoint, it would be preferable to instead do it with the Bx9, Bx19, or Bx36. And why the B44 instead of the B46? I know B44 ridership is high, but the B46 has the second highest ridership of any bus line in the country. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't SBS is meant to increase both speed and capacity on lines with high ridership, instead of doing all this on lines with moderate ridership (reference to the Bx55)?

How do they pick out some of these lines? Out of a hat? Seriously, I don't understand why the Bx55 is getting SBS. If you look at it from a ridership standpoint, it would be preferable to instead do it with the Bx9, Bx19, or Bx36. And why the B44 instead of the B46? I know B44 ridership is high, but the B46 has the second highest ridership of any bus line in the country. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't SBS is meant to increase both speed and capacity on lines with high ridership, instead of doing all this on lines with moderate ridership (reference to the Bx55)?

I don't know ridership patterns, but just by looking at the Brooklyn bus map I see that the B44 uses one way streets, which have great potential to speed up traffic through properly timed lights whereas the B46 uses a two way street which doesn't have said potential. M15 SBS is doing great because once a bus catches a green light then it's good until the next stop unless there's heavy traffic, but on the M34 SBS even if there's no traffic the bus is still going to hit red lights.

This is how I would make the M60 and M35 patterns

https://maps.google....b5f297e2e4eee60

Why send the M35 on 124th and 126th streets? It only uses those because it's there's room to layover and because those streets have direct access to the bridge. Also, we don't want the crazies going deeper into Manhattan than we need them to be.

And if you really want to speed up the M60 then either keep it on the Grand Central with no stops in Queens or just make one stop at 31st Street to transfer to the (N)(Q) and to the Q19 for Astoria Blvd access and then send it back on the Grand Central to the airport.

I agree there are more than enough buses serving 125th street as a crosstown (i.e. M100, M101 and Bx15) being that it is an airport route it should only pick up where the subway stops to serve as a premium "shuttle" to the airport.

Even if the Bx15/M100/M101 would provide an alternative to the M60 along 125th St, I wouldn't cut too many stops on 125th Street. Passengers other then Subway connecting ones still would want access to the M60 directly, rather then a transfer or walk. Unless the Local is kept, while an Express is made as Gorgor mentioned. Another alternative (which may be slightly long) would be to extend the M100 and have it head to like Marine Terminal (instead of all the other terminals). It may seem long, but there are other routes way longer then the M100.

The Bx55 ridership is moderate (based on the times I've ride and see). Even tho the Bx41 is much higher. I remember there was a document around mentioning improving Webster AND 3rd Avenue Corridor. So the Bx55 could also get that.

The Bx9 isn't as heavy compared to both the Bx19 / Bx36. I would use the Bx19 as an alternative for Select Bus Service since it already uses Artics and much heavier compared to the Bx36. But the Bx36 could also be another one.

OK Q23 under you plan.

1)Making less stops for the M60 along 125th.

2)the M35 is extended to 12th Ave/125th(current BX15 terminal) as replacement.

What happens to the BX15 Q23?

The M35 does not need to be extended. Its purpose is ONLY to get people to/from Wards&Randalls Isl. Plus the M35 already deals with a headache of passenger load at Lex. If you need crosstown, use the BX15/M100/M101 when ever SBS occurs.

Well not SBS just yet but effective august 13 they are about 10 stops that have been eliminated from the route

so here goes eastbound towards Airport...........................................

On Broadway at:

W 106th St

Cathedral Parkway (W 110th St)

W 116th St

W 120th st

On Amsterdam Av at:

Lasalle st

On 125th St at:

Saint Nicholas Av

Frederick Douglass Blvd (8th Av)

Adam Clayton Powell Junior Blvd (7th Av)

Malcolm X Blvd-Lenox Av

5th Av

Madison Av

Park Av

Lexington Av

3rd Av

2nd Av

On Hoyt Av at:

31st St

On Astoria Blvd at:

Steinway St

43rd St

49th St

73rd St

77th St

On 23rd Av at:

82nd St

87th St

On 94th St at:

23rd Av

On LaGuardia Airport at:

Delta Terminal D

USAirways Shuttle Terminal C

USAirways Terminal C

Terminal B (all other airlines)

Marine Air Terminal

IMO the only '2' stops LGA-Bound "M60" should use before 82nd Street and 23rd Ave in Queens are the following. They should be the first being 31st/Astoria (N)(Q) and the other being Steinway. Let the "Q19" pick up the load and serve more riders (I would have the Q19 stop at Terminal B before going to/from Flushing and Astoria)along Astoria Blvd.)The "M60" makes all Astoria Blvd late nights only when the "Q19" is not running.

The few stops starting at 82nd St/23rd Ave are needed since several of the long term parking and rental car offices are located near that stop and thus employees use it.

Kinda odd this was merged into the M60 thread, since it doesn't just pertain to the M60, but anyway:

The Bx41 is getting SBS, not the 55 (skipped over my first post?) The MTA wants routes that can save them money, with those routes seemingly either having efficient Limiteds (B44, M15, Bx12) or being easily made all-SBS (M34, S79, M60). The Bx41 is kinda dubious in that 1st regard, but I guess its span of Limited service can easily be increased to mirror the Bx55. The B44 will save the MTA a nice amount of $$ between the streamlining of the Northbound route and rampant axing of stops. (The SBS will have 16 stops vs. 37 on the Limited) The S79 too, since it won't even be using fare machines. The B46 might not have been chosen because of the tightness of roads above Utica (I don't see that as as much of a deal-breaker as others make it out to be, the M15 is similar below Houston especially when there's lots of traffic, but I digress) and possibly because of the farebeating, which is a huge problem, and the MTA knows it. Maybe they just couldn't find lots of money to be saved.

B44-relevant: http://www.mta.info/... 6 with map.pdf

Like what you touched on with speed/capacity, SBS is pretty much the poor man's subway, something Webster/3rd could really use (bonus points for 3rd formerly having a subway), and if you want to count the Bx15/Bx41/Bx55 as a cohesive unit, the numbers become much more supportive. Sure the MTA seems to be focusing on the Bx41 and just the Bx41, there's no doubt giving it SBS will affect 3rd Av too. Nostrand Av too, the subway service is decent but it only touches part of the route. The B46 falls right into this argument, but again I guess the MTA has their reasons.

The Bx55 ridership is moderate (based on the times I've ride and see). Even tho the Bx41 is much higher. I remember there was a document around mentioning improving Webster AND 3rd Avenue Corridor. So the Bx55 could also get that.

Of course the MTA lumped the corridors together when it was suggested, and before they made a definite choice, but now that they seem to have chosen the Bx41, it's probably not a coincidence the Bx55 hasn't been mentioned once. That doesn't rule it out, but it doesn't make much sense to focus on them seperately, in my opinion.

Well not SBS just yet but effective august 13 they are about 10 stops that have been eliminated from the route

so here goes eastbound towards Airport...........................................

On Amsterdam Av at:

Lasalle st

On 125th St at:

Saint Nicholas Av

Frederick Douglass Blvd (8th Av)

Adam Clayton Powell Junior Blvd (7th Av)

Malcolm X Blvd-Lenox Av

5th Av

Madison Av

Park Av

Lexington Av

3rd Av

2nd Av

Why have the M60 stop at La Selle? It doesn't stop there now, and It's just down the street from the current 125th/Amsterdam stop which gets a lot of people, so there's not much to be gained from moving it, right? If you're trying to merge the Amsterdam/123rd and 125th/Amsterdam, wouldn't it just be better to ditch the former?

About the whole M60 thing I'd go for 'local' and express SBS versions, sure the airport riders deserve a faster ride but the route has enough of a non-LGA riderbase to warrant keeping their route, right?

For the M60, these are the stops I'd have...and I would also change the route so that Amsterdam isn't used at all.

Broadway and 106 Street

Broadway and Cathedral Parkway

Broadway and 116 Street

Broadway and Tiemann Place (125 Street)

125 Street and Amsterdam Avenue

125 Street and St. Nicholas Avenue

125 Street and A.C. Powell Boulevard

125 Street and Lenox Avenue

125 Street between 5 and Madison Avenues

125 Street between Park and Lexington Avenues

125 Street and 2 Avenue

Hoyt Avenue and 31 Street

LaGuardia Airport - Delta Air Lines

LaGuardia Airport - mid-block between US Airways (main) and US Airways Shuttle

LaGuardia Airport - Central Terminal

LaGuardia Airport - Delta Shuttle

Westbound:

LaGuardia Airport - Delta Air Lines

LaGuardia Airport - mid-block between US Airways (main) and US Airways Shuttle

LaGuardia Airport - Central Terminal

LaGuardia Airport - Delta Shuttle

82 Street before Grand Central Parkway

Reverse of westbound stops from 31 Street onward

For local service along Astoria Boulevard, I would extend the Q48 to 21 Street and Astoria Boulevard, along the Q19 route. and have it loop into Delta Shuttle, serve 23 Avenue, and then serve the main terminals.

For me, living and working in the area of 125th St, an M60 SBS will still get crushed as it does not if a few things happened

(not even counting towards the bridge)

• M101 delayed uptown from 3rd Ave/BX15 delayed from the BX or short-turned on 125th
  • Tri-boro Bridge/I-278 packed which also affects the M100
  • Bunched M60s from LGA

Outside of Morning Ave and 3rd towards LGA, the M60 gets use at every stop. I give my own personal example. I could wait on 116th St and Lexington for an M116 when I leave work (after taking the 6/M101/M103) or take a more often running M60 (or M100/M101/Bx15) to Lenox/7th and take a southbound bus from there. Easier choice is the 125th corridor, and there are many people who use this logic between St. Nick and 3rd/2nd Aves The route is better to be sped up in Queens where the Q19 could pick up more slack. There's not much that could be done southwest of 125th St

And bus lanes may not work on 125th with police want to do their random stops of cars (at rush hour) on 125th & 5th Ave. Honestly, comparing 116th and 125th, 125th is too small for the vehicular traffic that uses it and needs the lane width of 7th ave to serve it.

My apologies for getting a bit off topic with that one. There is one relevent question though: will SBS really fix the M60 delays? What exactly will keep cars from being in the SBS lane? Or is it more in hope than in reality?

My apologies for getting a bit off topic with that one. There is one relevent question though: will SBS really fix the M60 delays? What exactly will keep cars from being in the SBS lane? Or is it more in hope than in reality?

Forget about cars illegally in the SBS lane, but how about the ones that are legally in that lane and making right turns? There's tons of pedestrian traffic around there if I remember correctly, and that can delay buses a lot.

Only thing forSBS to work is for the M101 LTD and the M60 SBS to run with bus lanes, located in the middle of the road. IMO SBS should also run on the M101as well. The bus lanes would be put on the middle of the large streets as well and on the two way 3rd Avenue segment in the middle of the road.

For me, living and working in the area of 125th St, an M60 SBS will still get crushed as it does not if a few things happened

(not even counting towards the bridge)

• M101 delayed uptown from 3rd Ave/BX15 delayed from the BX or short-turned on 125th

• Tri-boro Bridge/I-278 packed which also affects the M100

• Bunched M60s from LGA

Outside of Morning Ave and 3rd towards LGA, the M60 gets use at every stop. I give my own personal example. I could wait on 116th St and Lexington for an M116 when I leave work (after taking the 6/M101/M103) or take a more often running M60 (or M100/M101/Bx15) to Lenox/7th and take a southbound bus from there. Easier choice is the 125th corridor, and there are many people who use this logic between St. Nick and 3rd/2nd Aves The route is better to be sped up in Queens where the Q19 could pick up more slack. There's not much that could be done southwest of 125th St

And bus lanes may not work on 125th with police want to do their random stops of cars (at rush hour) on 125th & 5th Ave. Honestly, comparing 116th and 125th, 125th is too small for the vehicular traffic that uses it and needs the lane width of 7th ave to serve it.

Been around 125th Street lots of times in my life and yes I agree on almost every block the M60 gets hit with passengers. Tho its somewhat unknown at times if some of them get off along 125th Street. If you recognize the face, and those people stick on the bus to Queens, then we are talking. You can still eliminate and merge some stops into one stop for the M60. Instead of having a Madison and 5th Avenue, make it in between. For Morningside, maybe have one in between St. Nicholas and Morningside and next stop would be there 8th Ave (EB) or Amsterdam (WB).

Only thing forSBS to work is for the M101 LTD and the M60 SBS to run with bus lanes, located in the middle of the road. IMO SBS should also run on the M101as well. The bus lanes would be put on the middle of the large streets as well and on the two way 3rd Avenue segment in the middle of the road.

You can't just put Bus lanes in the middle or the road. There is no room on 125th Street for center SBS bus stops. Webster Avenue in the Bronx is can be done for the BX41SBS. Its wide in most segments. If we are talking about having the M101/M60 bypass all stops on 125th Street when using the lanes, thats a No. M60/M101 riders on 125th won't be pleased on losing access to going to non-125th Street spots. Another thing is, you would need to eliminate right turns if thats done. Now 3rd Avenue in Manhattan would do, but I suggest that to be placed on the right, same for Lexington Avenue. Just take out parking to the right.

I also realized in between 8th Ave and Madison Avenue, the sidewalks curves a bit in between 8th and 7th / 7th and Lenox / Lenox and 5th for the center crossings / Parking. Not sure if that is gonna end up getting removed, since the Bus Lanes can't just curve, unless quickly merge with traffic and back on the lanes.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=125th+Street&ll=40.809522,-73.949897&spn=0.006293,0.009645&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=W+125th+St&gl=us&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.809577,-73.949756&panoid=oAfl1qDuTRS33s8iPB2Jtw&cbp=12,146.88,,0,2.6

7th and 8th Ave

For my idea:

Broadway/106th St

Broadway/116th St

120th St/Broadway-Amsterdam Av

Amsterdam Av/123rd St

Amsterdam Av/125th St

125th St/St Nicholas Av

125th St/Frederick Douglass Blvd

125th St/Adam Clayton Powell Jr Blvd

125th St/Lenox Av

125th St/5th-Madison Avs

125th St/Park-Lexington Avenues

125th St/3rd-2nd Avs

Hoyt Av/31st St- Q19 bus stop at south side of 31st St moved to northside of 31st St.

Astoria Blvd/Steinway St

82nd St/Astoria Blvd-23rd Av

23rd Av/87th St

94th St/23rd Av-Ditmars Blvd

LGA/Long Term Parking Lot #1

Delta Northwest/Terminal D

Delta Shuttle-US Airways/Terminal C

Long Term Parking Lot #3

Central Terminal C

American Airline Freight

Marine Air Terminal/Police Station

Ditmars Blvd/81st St

Astoria Blvd/Steinway St

Hoyt Av/31st St

125th St/2nd-3rd Avs

125th St/Lexington-Park Avs

125th St/Madison-5th Avs

125th St/Lenox Av

125th St/Adam Clayton Powell Jr Blvd

125th St/St. Nicholas Av

Amsterdam Av/125th St

Amsterdam Av/123rd St

120th St/Broadway

Broadway/116th St

Broadway/110th St

West End Av/106th St or 106th St/Broadway drop off.

Been around 125th Street lots of times in my life and yes I agree on almost every block the M60 gets hit with passengers. Tho its somewhat unknown at times if some of them get off along 125th Street. If you recognize the face, and those people stick on the bus to Queens, then we are talking. You can still eliminate and merge some stops into one stop for the M60. Instead of having a Madison and 5th Avenue, make it in between. For Morningside, maybe have one in between St. Nicholas and Morningside and next stop would be there 8th Ave (EB) or Amsterdam (WB).

You can't just put Bus lanes in the middle or the road. There is no room on 125th Street for center SBS bus stops. Webster Avenue in the Bronx is can be done for the BX41SBS. Its wide in most segments. If we are talking about having the M101/M60 bypass all stops on 125th Street when using the lanes, thats a No. M60/M101 riders on 125th won't be pleased on losing access to going to non-125th Street spots. Another thing is, you would need to eliminate right turns if thats done. Now 3rd Avenue in Manhattan would do, but I suggest that to be placed on the right, same for Lexington Avenue. Just take out parking to the right.

I also realized in between 8th Ave and Madison Avenue, the sidewalks curves a bit in between 8th and 7th / 7th and Lenox / Lenox and 5th for the center crossings / Parking. Not sure if that is gonna end up getting removed, since the Bus Lanes can't just curve, unless quickly merge with traffic and back on the lanes.

https://maps.google....2,146.88,,0,2.6

7th and 8th Ave

On this issue, I agree with placing a bus-only lane at 125th Street. But if it comes to losing parking space, expect opposition from Harlem residents and pols, who have the mentality of "having a car equals moving up to the middle class." If they opposed safety improvements on part of accident-plagued Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd, don't be surprised to see them fight against this.

On this issue, I agree with placing a bus-only lane at 125th Street. But if it comes to losing parking space, expect opposition from Harlem residents and pols, who have the mentality of "having a car equals moving up to the middle class." If they opposed safety improvements on part of accident-plagued Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd, don't be surprised to see them fight against this.

Hmm, I thought Harlem cats wanted some form of +SBS on 125 Street, given its implementation on 34 St? I'm not saying there won't be opposition - the Bx12 +SBS faced opposition from merchants, etc. - but I thought the consensus was more in favor...

Hmm, I thought Harlem cats wanted some form of +SBS on 125 Street, given its implementation on 34 St? I'm not saying there won't be opposition - the Bx12 +SBS faced opposition from merchants, etc. - but I thought the consensus was more in favor...

You do have some advocates in Harlem, as well as elected official in East Harlem Councilwoman Melissa Mark-Viverito. However, those from Central Harlem, such as Councilwoman Inez Dickens, would oppose it on the grounds of curbing their "car=upward mobility" mindset.

Archived