Fixing the M60 Route from Delays?

aemoreira81

This. I don't know how much good it'll do, but I think 125th St really needs a bus lane, between Amsterdam and 2nd Av. If Weekday/Rush Hour parking has to be sacrificed to make a curbside lane, than so be it.

[i do think there should also be some way to speed up boarding for the 125th St routes, but that's another story]

Just out of curiosity, do you oppose +SBS+ on the B44, or on all routes in general? Because the only real way to speed up boarding would be POP, and that would pretty much make it +SBS+.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
m60 limited err WHY BOTHER just add bus lane then DONE

Already mentioned:

First add Bus lanes on 125th Street (St. Nicholas to 1st Avenue), then we talk about Limited or other improvements. And even if its Limited, im pretty sure it ill make all stops on 125th Street due to major transfer points.

=

Sorry I did not see the other post. No need to get on my case.

That was not directed at you. Look back at the post and you can see who it was in response to.

Just out of curiosity, do you oppose +SBS+ on the B44, or on all routes in general? Because the only real way to speed up boarding would be POP, and that would pretty much make it +SBS+.

Yeah, I was thinking about POP. But I don't know how to really implement that without going full-blown SBS. I don't think SBS is all that bad of an idea for the M60, we have a loose idea of potential stops, and it give the (MTA) a lot of "bragging power" (Another SBS route for Manhattn + A token SBS route for Queens after the Q5 was rejected + faster travel to the airport) but of course poeple's opinions will vary.

This is off-topic, but I don't really oppose SBS on the B44, at least not to the extent that B35viaChurch and Alan (BrooklynBus) might. While New York Av is definitely losing out, the foamer in me is kinda excited - it's not everyday you learn that your home bus route has been selected for SBS B) But if the (MTA) really can draw in new ridership (or rather, new revenue, since people riding the B44 instead of the (2) train or whatever aren't really new ridership) and improve traffic issues a bit, more power to them, I guess.

I think that SBS is a good concept, at least.

I think one of M60 thread should be merged and sticky and change title to Airport Commute by transit discussion?

I don't see a need for re-naming the thread, since this pertains to the M60 route specifically, and not travels to airport in general. One of the mods did merge the two topics.

Adding off board fare collection or SBS to the M60 would be THE STUPIDEST THING that the MTA could ever do. If they even do decide to put fare inspectors along the route they'll need at least two groups, one each way before the bridge. Remember, adding SBS to a route INCREASES the cost to operate because of the amount of money needed to pay the fare inspectors, and it won't even speed the M60 up by more than two or three minutes. It will also basically give people traveling within Manhattan on 125th Street free transportation, and I'm pretty sure even if they put fare inspectors along there then the fare beaters up there will just take off at the sight of them.

Remember, the point of SBS is to speed up routes, and in my opinion it isn't worth the substantial increase in running costs. The M15 SBS from end to end only saves about 10-15 minutes each way, and that's also mainly due to cutting out quite a few stops downtown as well as the 72nd Street stop, so really off board fare collection is only really saving about 8 minutes, and that's from one end to the other. The M60 will be stuck in traffic on 125th Street no matter what, and good luck to any tourists arriving in La Guardia who are taking the bus.

Adding off board fare collection or SBS to the M60 would be THE STUPIDEST THING that the MTA could ever do. If they even do decide to put fare inspectors along the route they'll need at least two groups, one each way before the bridge. Remember, adding SBS to a route INCREASES the cost to operate because of the amount of money needed to pay the fare inspectors, and it won't even speed the M60 up by more than two or three minutes. It will also basically give people traveling within Manhattan on 125th Street free transportation, and I'm pretty sure even if they put fare inspectors along there then the fare beaters up there will just take off at the sight of them.

Remember, the point of SBS is to speed up routes, and in my opinion it isn't worth the substantial increase in running costs. The M15 SBS from end to end only saves about 10-15 minutes each way, and that's also mainly due to cutting out quite a few stops downtown as well as the 72nd Street stop, so really off board fare collection is only really saving about 8 minutes, and that's from one end to the other. The M60 will be stuck in traffic on 125th Street no matter what, and good luck to any tourists arriving in La Guardia who are taking the bus.

Agreed, SBS would be rather pointless on the M60, same goes for off-board payment. The M60 doesnt need any form of SBS or LTDs imo, it does what its supposed to do, haul ass to LaGuardia Airport. 125, bus lane or not, will ALWAYS be congested. There is no fixing that in my opinion.

The only reason some of you might say it needs a LTD is because of the amount of stops it makes in Manhattan. That's not really necessary for a limited because the entire portion of Manhattan it travels through for the most part is CONGESTED 90% of the time! It hauls ass in Queens and rightfully so.

What it DOES need is better schedule adjustments.

Agreed, SBS would be rather pointless on the M60, same goes for off-board payment. The M60 doesnt need any form of SBS or LTDs imo, it does what its supposed to do, haul ass to LaGuardia Airport. 125, bus lane or not, will ALWAYS be congested. There is no fixing that in my opinion.

The only reason some of you might say it needs a LTD is because of the amount of stops it makes in Manhattan. That's not really necessary for a limited because the entire portion of Manhattan it travels through for the most part is CONGESTED 90% of the time! It hauls ass in Queens and rightfully so.

What it DOES need is better schedule adjustments.

you can eliminate parking or double parking fines!!!!!!! Or add bus lane to median where ppl board on an island or that new bus china is making that is completely immune to traffic.

you can eliminate parking or double parking fines!!!!!!! Or add bus lane to median where ppl board on an island or that new bus china is making that is completely immune to traffic.

Yeah ok. You should stop posting non-sense right about now.

The city is already "crying broke" as it is no way in hell they would eliminate any type of fines. 125 st is already a traffic nightmare don't add to it by putting islands as it will slow down the M60 even further. As for that chinese bus you've suggested, no way dude. I don't see that happening.

Fair enough points. Still, I don't think 125th Street should just be left out to twist in the wind. It has more than enough ridership to merit some kind of improvement.

I do notice that people have a tendency to get off the bus (not just the M60, but pretty much all of the 125th St buses) and start walking whenever there's a wheelchair passenger boarding or some other kind of long delay at stops.

Yeah, they're slow (technically, they are crosstown buses... :() but they're not all that bad, right?

At least the Queens portion of the M60 is pretty nice as is. If reliability can be worked on, that'll be really great for the route.

I agree limited/SBS would not work because every M60 stops, there are people going to airport.

If you put SBS on M60, most people coming from flight will get confused, especially foreign tourists who cannot speak English.

Doesn`t (MTA) needs permission from PANY&NJ in order to install machine?

Don`t you remember the video I show you about Kron4 News reporting People Behaving Badly?

Even if fines increased to keep cars out of bus lane or double parking, no matter what, people behaves badly even if they get fines.

I remember when I was going to 67th St firehouse before X-mas party, one of mother got so mad when traffic cops gave her fine for parking in bus lane.

No matter even with fines, people will not learned.

Slightly off-topic.

For example, even thought dog owners gets big fine for not cleaning after dogs, some owners does not clean and leave that stinky you-know-what for someone to step on.

Don`t you remember the video I show you about Kron4 News reporting People Behaving Badly?

Even if fines increased to keep cars out of bus lane or double parking, no matter what, people behaves badly even if they get fines.

I remember when I was going to 67th St firehouse before X-mas party, one of mother got so mad when traffic cops gave her fine for parking in bus lane.

No matter even with fines, people will not learned.

Slightly off-topic.

For example, even thought dog owners gets big fine for not cleaning after dogs, some owners does not clean and leave that stinky you-know-what for someone to step on.

It's called give em a **** YOU GET OUT THE BUS LANE BITCH!!!!!!!!!! **** THAT STUPID MOTHER BITCH. bus lane is better than no lane at least you get revenue from burning ********

Slightly off-topic, you should look at this video.

This is undercover police officers as parking lot attendants gaving parking ticket to abusing parking lot.

These people are warned by Kron4 news that if s/he abused bus lane, carpool plane to toll plaza, refusing to move over to right for emergency vehicles, driving on bus lane, transitway, tracks, biking on sidewalk, parking on bus lane, biking across the plaza in college, mis using placard will get them fined, but these folks don`t listen no matter what. They tried anything to talk to cop not to get ticket.

Slightly off-topic, you should look at this video.

This is undercover police officers as parking lot attendants gaving parking ticket to abusing parking lot.

These people are warned by Kron4 news that if s/he abused bus lane, carpool plane to toll plaza, refusing to move over to right for emergency vehicles, driving on bus lane, transitway, tracks, biking on sidewalk, parking on bus lane, biking across the plaza in college, mis using placard will get them fined, but these folks don`t listen no matter what. They tried anything to talk to cop not to get ticket.

TAKE AWAY THEIR LICENCE!!!!!!!!! then TOW their ass!!!!!! problem solved cha ching If the ppl are gonna abuse the bus lane MILK EM more money for transit.

So what if ppl will violate the bus lane just keep making money off em when life gives you lemons make lemonade. 3rd violation results in loss of licence and towed

Those California drivers know they get a ticket. Even bus operates and MUNI operators fly doesn`t stop completely at intersection and ran through stop sign.

Back to topic on M60.

Almost every bus stops, where people get on M60 to go to airport.

Slightly thinking of M60, I heard from my best B/O friend yesterday, it coming back to Manhatanville, Is this true?

I saw Wave TSP at Hoyt Av/30th St for M60, so M60 could get onto bridge before traffic does.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if #1200s on M60 heading westbound on Astoria Blvd could make right turn at 80th St, left turn at Ditmars Blvd, left turn at 77th St, right turn at Astoria Blvd to go regular route.

Reason I was asking, I remember NYPD Prison Bus had break down and #1200s couldn't go anywhere and NYPD Officers asked B/O he could go around.

I was wondering if #1200s on M60 heading westbound on Astoria Blvd could make right turn at 80th St, left turn at Ditmars Blvd, left turn at 77th St, right turn at Astoria Blvd to go regular route.

Reason I was asking, I remember NYPD Prison Bus had break down and #1200s couldn't go anywhere and NYPD Officers asked B/O he could go around.

Archived