Fixing the M60 Route from Delays?

aemoreira81

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Without reading any of the postings: I suggested to MTA via email that the M60 should be pickup only in Manhattan to airport and dropoff only in Manhattan to Bway..

Is that a feasible idea?

While a noble idea, I don't see how that would speed up the route.... the riders on the M60 are the ones that take their sweet time boarding the bus; and you still have the horrid traffic conditions along 125th...

While a noble idea, I don't see how that would speed up the route.... the riders on the M60 are the ones that take their sweet time boarding the bus; and you still have the horrid traffic conditions along 125th...

hmm then will SBS work on M60??

slow boarding is why I always cut the line and dart infront everyone everytime I use M60

hmm then will SBS work on M60??

slow boarding is why I always cut the line and dart infront everyone everytime I use M60

if you find a way to rectify the traffic on 125th, sure..... why not....

SBS M60's just for that specific stint (street) isn't exactly something I'd propose for the whole route, though....

I don't think SBS on the M60 would work. I've never ridden it, but I'm just assuming that most passengers are going to the airport, so they'll be carrying luggage with them right? Yes, it would speed things up, but not by much since it'll still take time to load it on the bus.

And tourists, and still a lot of New Yorkers get confused with the SBS machine, so having it on an airport bus might not be the best idea.

I take the M60 instead of the Q19 because because it comes more frequent than the slow Q19. I ride the bus between 82 street and 31 street. The M60 makes less stops than the Q19, so it's like a skip-stop service in Queens. YOU NEED LOCAL SERVICE ON ASTORIA BOULEVARD ON THE M60!! Q19 and M60 can't handle the capacity of Astoria Boulevard Passengers. The M60 and Q19 need to operate two times more the buses on that boulevard than right now. Many riders taking the bus to Manhattan Board in Queens.

• 3 months later...
Nice LOL, you had a NovaBus LFS on the 60?

You such a Stan I swear, Yes I had a Novabus LFS

every third bus on that route is , I really dont have issues

on that route I cant speak much cause I start around 3pm

but Im usually on time according to paddle and if Im down its

easy to make up in queens coming back only time I need to be put

in place is when they have construction or police checkpoints

on 125 and since the run is one big loop ( no stoppping in queens )

its easy for the whole line to get jacked up .

You such a Stan I swear, Yes I had a Novabus LFS

every third bus on that route is , I really dont have issues

on that route I cant speak much cause I start around 3pm

but Im usually on time according to paddle and if Im down its

easy to make up in queens coming back only time I need to be put

in place is when they have construction or police checkpoints

on 125 and since the run is one big loop ( no stoppping in queens )

its easy for the whole line to get jacked up .

LMFAOO!!...well that's cool I didn't know every 3rd run was an Artic.

• 1 month later...

Hi all - I was just wondering what other peoples' experiences has been with the M60 bus - oftentimes, especially in the morning, 2 or 3 will show up at Astoria Blvd. (Manhattan bound) at the same time, and then another one won't come for 25 minutes. The cabbies driving along Hoyt clean up every morning, picking up passengers who have been waiting at the stop for 20+ minutes, because at a certain point you just have to go. This has happened to me a number of times, and hardly seems like the most efficient use of the route. I understand that traffic into Manhattan can cause backups, but it seems like it's less a function of traffic and more a function of just plain poor dispatching. Does anyone know if there has been thought given to installing countdown clocks on this route?

Thanks

Last night I was on the BxM18 and I think we were on 125th street making our way over to reach the Major Deegan and I saw what looked like 3 M60s in a row... Two artics and a regular 40 ft... The first bus was packed and the second and third buses had just a few folks scattered about on them... They certainly need to do a better job of spacing those buses. They run them like shuttles, as in they come however they come and that's that.

Last night I was on the BxM18 and I think we were on 125th street making our way over to reach the Major Deegan and I saw what looked like 3 M60s in a row... Two artics and a regular 40 ft... The first bus was packed and the second and third buses had just a few folks scattered about on them... They certainly need to do a better job of spacing those buses. They run them like shuttles, as in they come however they come and that's that.

If you are familiar with the Q17, thats how they run them as. There's not much you can improve on since every part of the line gets slammed with traffic....

If you are familiar with the Q17, thats how they run them as. There's not much you can improve on since every part of the line gets slammed with traffic....

Then what about installing a bus only lane?? They're providing enough service but if you've got one crushloaded bus and two empty buses right behind it, it doesn't benefit the passengers one bit.

Threadstarter, yeah, that's typical on the M60.... for the most part, that's how they are ran throughout the entire day....

I truly think part of the problem is due to the fact that buses don't really terminate inside LGA, but rather loop in & out of it back towards manhattan..... basically the route is one big ass manhattan-LGA loop ......

At this rate, they are gonna have to start considering starting some M60's at Astoria Blvd. subway......

If there are that many problems, maybe just start some buses at 31st Street/Astoria Blvd going towards Manhattan (or maybe Steinway Street or something), so if there's a delay within LGA, at least there's that much less traffic to deal with.

I think it was B35 who suggested it, but if you could extend another route (I think he suggested the Q102) to Manhattan, to provide backup in case the M60 doesn't show up.

Then what about installing a bus only lane?? They're providing enough service but if you've got one crushloaded bus and two empty buses right behind it, it doesn't benefit the passengers one bit.

*In Peter Griffin voice* "That might work."

*Throws thinking grenade*

With all the routes on 125th? Not following this...

Not even worth spending the Gs on a bus only lane there. Folks would still use that lane nonetheless.

Archived