Fixing the M60 Route from Delays?

aemoreira81

Not even worth spending the Gs on a bus only lane there. Folks would still use that lane nonetheless.

i would usually say the same thing but if they pick up the enforcement and use camera cars along with the buses and overhead cameras they would at least get paid by people violating the lane rules.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of tourist line M60, during Green Festival and other show events at Javits Center, M34/M34A B/O had hard time because of newcomers and tourists who did not know how to use SBS Machine.

34th Street Bus is another home line for tourists daily.

When B/O ask them to paid at machine, some tourists just gave up and walk.

i would usually say the same thing but if they pick up the enforcement and use camera cars along with the buses and overhead cameras they would at least get paid by people violating the lane rules.

Which is true, but they can barely do any enforcement on the SBS lines as it is. The front cameras by the windshield though, that actually helps.

• 4 weeks later...

To fix the M60 would call for the elimination of local stops that are not near train stations. Than implement a type of "pay before you board" system similar to SBS. Finally, move the route to tuskegee Airmen depot and make it majority artic...

Well I didn't want to bring that aspect into equation yet but im not gonna deny that 100st is very similar to Bronx division depot. Although I really don't know how those hybrids are doing since the got over there. I just know that they roll through here every couple of weeks because TAD doesn't have battery conditioners yet...

Well I didn't want to bring that aspect into equation yet but im not gonna deny that 100st is very similar to Bronx division depot. Although I really don't know how those hybrids are doing since the got over there. I just know that they roll through here every couple of weeks because TAD doesn't have battery conditioners yet...

The hybrids are doing alright mainly because they've got so many of them -- they can run the M96/M106 with a good six-seven buses in the shop during peak hours and even a loaner or two out at Mannyville on a good day. The D60HFs it's a different story, and the consistent breakdowns tell you what maintenance is really like over there.

As a tourist who've flown into LGA a bunch of times, and had to endure a long route to the Upper West Side through the M60, you'd have to do one of two things:

1. Make the route an SBS because

(A) the route makes a bunch of stops, some are rather unnecessary, and the crush-loads (after the airport) along with the suitcases make the route potentially uncomfortable

2. Use artics. As much as I like the O7's on that route, it would help with congestion and the crush loading.

3. Change it to a Limited and have posted stops along Broadway and 125.

4. Permute and do 2 and 3. Faster boarding plus longer vehicles might help.

TBH, I think that passengers on the only direct link between LGA and Manhattan shouldn't need to have to deal with locals, and vice versa. Therefore IMHO the M60 should make no stops in Queens outside the airport, at least on weekdays.

To fix the M60 would call for the elimination of local stops that are not near train stations. Than implement a type of "pay before you board" system similar to SBS. Finally, move the route to tuskegee Airmen depot and make it majority artic...

Or we can reroute half of all trips between 5am and 9 PM to go non-stop between LGA and astoria (N) with some 23rd ave stops but NO astoria blvd stops. This will not hurt anyone as the few on astoria blvd still have 14 min service and maybe less bunching as a result of GCP expresses.

As a tourist who've flown into LGA a bunch of times, and had to endure a long route to the Upper West Side through the M60, you'd have to do one of two things:

1. Make the route an SBS because

(A) the route makes a bunch of stops, some are rather unnecessary, and the crush-loads (after the airport) along with the suitcases make the route potentially uncomfortable

2. Use artics. As much as I like the O7's on that route, it would help with congestion and the crush loading.

3. Change it to a Limited and have posted stops along Broadway and 125.

4. Permute and do 2 and 3. Faster boarding plus longer vehicles might help.

According to a bus OP it's already being done as we speak.

Too many people get on in Queens outside LGA on the M60 for it to run non-stop. What they should have if you ask me is a separate "M60x" that would run non-stop from LGA to Manhattan, and have the M60 ln its current form in addition, and possibly not run the M60x late nights and MAYBE weekends if ridership is low. Artics should be running the M60x, and 40-footers and maybe some artics on the local. Both would get great ridership I'm sure.

what I meant was select M60 trips becoming x trips between 5am and 9 pm when LGA has scheduled flights. its only a slight service change most ppl on astoria blvd excluding (N) wait for buses to bunch. So having M60 run non stop to lga and stops on 23rd from the subway run every 14 mins. while locals are every 14 mins many express runs may become local after reaching LGA for going back and vice versa this somewhat improves reliability. so instead or 3 M60s on astoria blvd 1 or em goes non stop to LGA the other 2 or 1 pick up the slack. This better handles the loads. Funny I used M60 you seem to overestimate astoria blvd.

• 1 month later...

Had 3882 on the M60 today, man does that route need artics. Probably the most packed bus I've ever been on, people were very angry about those luggage racks taking up four seats with no bags on them. The fact it took 45 minutes to get from the West Side to the East Side made people a little angrier too, but that's the traffic for you. Poor bus was dying on the RFK, making every sort of moaning noise trying to keep the pace on that bridge while packed completely. Those late 3870-3890s are gonna have a shorter life span than the rest of the fleet, I guarantee it.

Had 3882 on the M60 today, man does that route need artics. Probably the most packed bus I've ever been on, people were very angry about those luggage racks taking up four seats with no bags on them. The fact it took 45 minutes to get from the West Side to the East Side made people a little angrier too, but that's the traffic for you. Poor bus was dying on the RFK, making every sort of moaning noise trying to keep the pace on that bridge while packed completely. Those late 3870-3890s are gonna have a shorter life span than the rest of the fleet, I guarantee it.

So they're not using all artics on that line yet? I've seen some along 125th street when passing on the express bus and thought they were finally no longer using the hybrids...

So they're not using all artics on that line yet? I've seen some along 125th street when passing on the express bus and thought they were finally no longer using the hybrids...

We don't have enough LFSA's for it to be an all artic route yet. And for some reason, they don't like running D60's to the airport so that route is gonna be crammed into those NG's until the fall...

Wonder if they're concerned about breakdowns...

I would think it mostly has to do with the fact that they are high floor buses and the dwell time would increase significantly being that quite a few passengers would be boarding and alighting the bus with luggage.

Archived