Planned Subway Service Changes

1 hour ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Beginning Sunday, February 26 at 10 pm up through August 2023, Jamaica-bound (J)(Z) trains will skip 75 St-Elderts Lane and Woodhaven Blvd all times. Reasons stated for 75 St is "Station improvements" which I think means renovations while Woodhaven Blvd gets "Accessibility improvements" (aka elevator installations) and maybe renovations too. The MTA last renovated a station along the line before the pandemic (111 St in around 2018).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, does that mean Jamaica-bound (Z) will skip all stops between Crescent St and 104 St (since it only stops at 75 St and Woodhaven) or will it make all stops? The MTA makes no reference of suspending skip-stop nor the (Z) making all stops during the time period.

Maybe the PM skip-stop will be suspended. That’s a lot of territory skipped

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an emergency GO for Thursday 2/2 and Friday 2/3 overnights on the A. The southbound track between High Street and Jay street needs emergency work. among other problems, Issues with a switch frog were found via the Track Geometry Car.

A trains will run in two sections, From 207 to Jay Street Via Rutgers sb and from Utica to Lefferts or Far Rockaway. the Lefferts shuttle is canceled during this project and train service with run to Utica all night from both south terminals. 

North section trains start and end on the F tracks at Jay and will run light to south of Bergen street to relay. South section trains will terminate on the northbound local track at Utica and relay to the Southbound express to depart. 

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

There is an emergency GO for Thursday 2/2 and Friday 2/3 overnights on the A. The southbound track between High Street and Jay street needs emergency work. among other problems, Issues with a switch frog were found via the Track Geometry Car.

A trains will run in two sections, From 207 to Jay Street Via Rutgers sb and from Utica to Lefferts or Far Rockaway. the Lefferts shuttle is canceled during this project and train service with run to Utica all night from both south terminals. 

North section trains start and end on the F tracks at Jay and will run light to south of Bergen street to relay. South section trains will terminate on the northbound local track at Utica and relay to the Southbound express to depart. 

Man, that sucks, but at least it was found with MoW equipment and not a revenue derailment.

Off-topic, but I really wish the Track Geometry Car (among other powered MoW equipment) would strictly use electricity instead of diesel. It gets really hard to breathe whenever it passes through. Perhaps that'll be a future development.

No (7) between Queensboro Plaza and 34 St-Hudson Yards

(7) trains run between  Flushing-Main St and Queensboro Plaza every 8 minutes days and evenings.

Queensboro Plaza-bound (7) skips 69 St, 52 St, 46 St-Bliss St, 40 St-Lowery St and 33 St-Rawson St 

Feb 11 - 12, Sat 3:45 AM to Sun 10:00 PM

For service to these stations, take the 7 to 61 St-Woodside or Queensboro Plaza and transfer to a Flushing-bound 7.

For service from these stations, take the 7 to 61 St-Woodside or 74 St-Broadway and transfer to a Queensboro Plaza-bound 7.

What's happening?

Track maintenance

Special weekend (W) runs every 20 minutes between 34 St-Herald Sq and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd 

Feb 4 - 5 and Feb 11 - 12, Saturdays, 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM and Sundays, 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM

Note: Uptown trains skip 49 St.

What's happening?

We're providing alternate service between Queens and Manhattan for (7) line customers due to track maintenance 

1 hour ago, Maxwell179 said:

(7) trains run between  Flushing-Main St and Queensboro Plaza every 8 minutes days and evenings.

Queensboro Plaza-bound (7) skips 69 St, 52 St, 46 St-Bliss St, 40 St-Lowery St and 33 St-Rawson St 

For service to these stations, take the 7 to 61 St-Woodside or Queensboro Plaza and transfer to a Flushing-bound 7.

For service from these stations, take the 7 to 61 St-Woodside or 74 St-Broadway and transfer to a Queensboro Plaza-bound 7.

What's happening?

Track maintenance

Special weekend (W) runs every 20 minutes between 34 St-Herald Sq and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd 

Feb 4 - 5 and Feb 11 - 12, Saturdays, 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM and Sundays, 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM

What's happening?

We're providing alternate service between Queens and Manhattan for (7) line customers due to track maintenance 

34th St-Hearld Sq? Don’t they mean Whitehall?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

34th St-Hearld Sq? Don’t they mean Whitehall?

Ever since the pandemic started the weekend (W) ends at 34 St and runs every 20 minutes (also assuming there will be enough train crews available to make service, since only 3 trainsets would be needed). In the before times, the (N) and (W) both ran every 12 minutes from Astoria to Manhattan during this GO, and the (W) would run to Whitehall St, while the (N) ran normal weekend service.

Running every 20 minutes though doesn’t allow for even headways between Manhattan and Queensboro Plaza, which is why a year ago, the MTA tried every 24 minutes the whole route Astoria-Whitehall St but again, crew shortages killed that plan. So this Astoria-34 St shuttle is the new plan and somehow doesn’t mess with the (N)(Q)(R) all jamming onto the local track with these supplemental (W) trains between 57 St-7 Av and 34 St

6 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

What's happening?

Track maintenance

What's happening?

Literally no reason in running the (W), I get crew shortage is still a thing, but might as well just stick with the (N) since there most likely won't be many running around in the first place. 

7 hours ago, Lex said:

Off-topic, but I really wish the Track Geometry Car (among other powered MoW equipment) would strictly use electricity instead of diesel. It gets really hard to breathe whenever it passes through. Perhaps that'll be a future development.

The entire reason it has an onboard power plant is it allows it to work on tracks that have the power cut.

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Literally no reason in running the (W), I get crew shortage is still a thing, but might as well just stick with the (N) since there most likely won't be many running around in the first place. 

Exactly. And on weekends, there are crew shortages on the (N) anyways - might as well have those " (W) " crews on standby to make sure the (N) runs full weekend service at least. Either run the (W) Astoria to Whitehall St or just make sure the (N) has enough crews. I remember a GO way back in 2009 when the (7) was out for four weekends, there was track work in Astoria, and the Brighton Line was suspended between Atlantic Av and Prospect Park (the Brighton Closure was for two weekends I think and the Astoria GO was I think an emergency GO). For this GO, the (N) shuttle that supplemented the normal weekend (N) service ran only between Queensboro Plaza and 34 St-Herald Sq (since only 1 track was available at Ditmars Blvd to turn (N) trains around). The other weekend the Brighton Line was out, the 34 St to Queens shuttle ran exactly how the (W) is proposed to run this weekend, but just labeled (N). The rest of the weekends, the (Q) was just sent to Ditmars Blvd (local between 57 St-7 Av Canal St)

• 2 weeks later...

FASTRACK work on the Queens Blvd Line: Overnights from Feb 27-Mar 3 and Mar 3-10 from 9:30 pm to 5 am

No (E) between Roosevelt Av and World Trade Center, making all local stops from Jamaica Center and Roosevelt Av

No (F) between Roosevelt Av and 21 St-Queensbridge

(R) service ends early between Forest Hills-71 Av and Whitehall St

(N) service runs via Lower Manhattan the same time (R) service ends early

Additional (7) service runs between 9:15 pm and 2:30 am

Unless I'm not seeing it on the site, there seem to be no mention of LIRR cross-honoring.

On 1/30/2023 at 5:54 PM, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Beginning Sunday, February 26 at 10 pm up through August 2023, Jamaica-bound (J)(Z) trains will skip 75 St-Elderts Lane and Woodhaven Blvd all times. Reasons stated for 75 St is "Station improvements" which I think means renovations while Woodhaven Blvd gets "Accessibility improvements" (aka elevator installations) and maybe renovations too. The MTA last renovated a station along the line before the pandemic (111 St in around 2018).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, does that mean Jamaica-bound (Z) will skip all stops between Crescent St and 104 St (since it only stops at 75 St and Woodhaven) or will it make all stops? The MTA makes no reference of suspending skip-stop nor the (Z) making all stops during the time period.

Also, the MTA just posted that while skip-stop will still run, all (J)(Z) trains will make all stop between Crescent St and Jamaica Center in both the AM and PM rush hours during the work on the two stations.

11 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

FASTRACK work on the Queens Blvd Line: Overnights from Feb 27-Mar 3 and Mar 3-10 from 9:30 pm to 5 am

No (E) between Roosevelt Av and World Trade Center, making all local stops from Jamaica Center and Roosevelt Av

Unless I'm not seeing it on the site, there seem to be no mention of LIRR cross-honoring.

I would guess because it's at night? Only the issue is probably going to be overcrowding on the (7), then again it's late night so who knows.

3 hours ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

I don’t remember them ever cross honoring LIRR for QBL FasTrack.

3 hours ago, Vulturious said:

I would guess because it's at night? Only the issue is probably going to be overcrowding on the (7), then again it's late night so who knows.

I remember participating in a couple of QBL FasTracks. The (7) was SRO but not overcrowded since they increased frequency, quite a few spilled out at 74th- Broadway though. IIRC, they had (F)’s leaving from the Manhattan Bound Express track and (E) from the Queens bound Express Track.

13 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I don’t remember them ever cross honoring LIRR for QBL FasTrack.

I remember participating in a couple of QBL FasTracks. The (7) was SRO but not overcrowded since they increased frequency, quite a few spilled out at 74th- Broadway though. IIRC, they had (F)’s leaving from the Manhattan Bound Express track and (E) from the Queens bound Express Track.

Yes the (F) ran express east of Roosevelt and the (E) ran local. Technically on a 20 minute or even at 15 minute headway you can do both local but not more frequently due to only one pocket track west of Roosevelt that turns the (E) trains around able to turn trains around.

On 2/9/2023 at 1:29 PM, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

This will certainly be a rough closure.  Glad I don't need to travel there.

6 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

With the (R) running every 15 minutes this weekend, would it be too much to ask to run either the (E) or (F) or both local along Queens Blvd?

Honestly, no it wouldn't be too much to ask, they should've had the (E) run local. Sure they can make an excuse that they don't have the crew for it and probably increasing travel time for the crew onboard so they would probably be against it, but riders having to wait 15 to potentially an hour at a local station along QBL, maybe that's just me.

On 2/10/2023 at 5:09 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

While ridership may be lower, kids still have to get to school, and I would have scheduled this for whatever week they are off for Easter/Passover. 

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

It’s President’s Day Week AKA Mid winter break. They’re not going to School.

Interesting.  Except for my last year of Grade School (1978), they didn't have that when I was in school in New York (they did it in '78 but that was the year NYC was hit with two blizzards and they didn't do it otherwise because of that).  

Some Manhattan-bound (F) trains skip 21 St-Queensbridge, Roosevelt Island, Lexington Av/63 St, and 57 St 

Feb 21 - 24, Tue to Fri, 7:15 AM to 8:30 AM

Select Manhattan-bound (F) trains run via the (E) after Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av to 5 Av/53 St, resuming regular service at 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr.  

For service to skipped stations, take a Manhattan-bound (F) making regular stops. 

Some Jamaica-bound (F) trains skip 57 St, Lexington Av/63 St, Roosevelt Island and 21 St-Queensbridge 

Feb 21 - 24, Tue to Fri, 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM

Select Jamaica-bound (F) trains run via the (E) after 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr to Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av and resume regular service.

For service to skipped stations, take a Jamaica-bound (F) making regular stops. 

What's happening?

Track, switch and modern signaling upgrades

No (2) between Chambers St and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr 

Feb 21 - 24, Tue to Fri, 9:30 PM to 5:00 AM

(2)service runs in two sections: 

1. Between Wakefield-241 St and Chambers St and via the (1) to/from South Ferry 

2. Between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Flatbush Av-Brooklyn College

• Downtown trains run local from 96 St and South Ferry.

• Uptown trains run local from South Ferry to 72 St.

• Trains from Flatbush Av-Brooklyn College skip Eastern Pkwy-Brooklyn Museum, Grand Army Plaza and Bergen St.

(G)runs every 30 minutes between Court Sq and Bedford-Nostrand Avs 

Feb 23, Thursday, 12:01 AM to 5:00 AM

(G) service runs in two sections: 

1. Between Court Sq and Bedford-Nostrand Avs, every 30 minutes

2. Between Bedford-Nostrand Avs and Church Av, every 15 minutes

Transfer at Bedford-Nostrand Avs to continue your trip.

Note: At Nassau Av, Metropolitan Av, Broadway, Flushing Av and Myrtle-Willoughby Avs all trains board from the Court Sq-bound platform.

What's happening?

Track maintenance