Planned Subway Service Changes

23 hours ago, NBTA said:

Reading into this..makes me think that the (M) and (F) are definitely gonna get swapped after everything is done. Makes the QBL mergers a lot easier. 

It would definitely eliminate the madness at 36th and QP, but then again this is the MTA we’re talking about here. Only time will tell if riders at Queensbridge and Roosevelt Island adjust to having shorter and less-frequent (M) trains come May through October.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

They are going to start CBTC work east of Union Turnpike so the Lay ups between Union turnpike and 169th are going to be moved over to the Express Tracks between Forest Hills and Roosevelt ave. Because of this the (R) has to terminate at Queens Plaza after a certain time.

Does this mean the (E) and (F) will have to run local on QBL on weekends alongside the (R)? That may not be a bad thing...

On times when the (R) runs via 63rd St at the same time of the CBTC installation east of 71 Av, during early evening hours starting 9:45 pm, the (R) will instead terminate at Roosevelt Av, as is the case for the weekends of April 8-9 and April 15-16 when 71 Av-bound trains are rerouted via the (F) making express stops

On 3/14/2023 at 4:45 PM, Chris89292 said:

I’m not sure why the MTA decided to do this, but I could possibly be that the crews will make structural repairs on the express track, the project includes track component repairs so I believe it could possibly be that, it’ll affect <7> express from running in the middle track, it is subject to change, as schedules are still being planned to satisfy riders

From reading the (7) Train plan, Manhattan-bound trains will run on the express track when work on 52nd, 61st, and 69th Street starts. Flushing-bound trains start doing it when the Manhattan-bound platform work is complete so no work is being done on the center track.

40 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Why do they force (N) riders to have an additional 8 minute trip to run 4th Avenue local to accommodate Culver signal work??

The (N) is generally the closest subway line to the (F) in Southern Brooklyn. It's done that way so you can transfer at 9th Street - 4th Avenue if you need the (F) or (G). The other options don't provide you those same transfer opportunities.

The (Q) to the (D) transfer at Atlantic is just not practical (and the next transfer opportunity to the 6th Avenue line is 34th Street), and it doesn't connect to the (G). It's the best possible option given the circumstances. You can reroute the (D) via Sea Beach and (N) via West End, but then you'd create more problems.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

22 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The (N) is generally the closest subway line to the (F) in Southern Brooklyn. It's done that way so you can transfer at 9th Street - 4th Avenue if you need the (F) or (G). The other options don't provide you those same transfer opportunities.

The (Q) to the (D) transfer at Atlantic is just not practical (and the next transfer opportunity to the 6th Avenue line is 34th Street), and it doesn't connect to the (G). It's the best possible option given the circumstances. You can reroute the (D) via Sea Beach and (N) via West End, but then you'd create more problems.

I would rather they extend the (J) or (M) to cover 4th Ave local then inconvenience people who have places they need to be.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I would rather they extend the (J) or (M) to cover 4th Ave local then inconvenience people who have places they need to be.

Extending those two lines requires more trains and crew members on a weekend, and the MTA already has enough problems with crew shortage the past couple of months, whereas an (N) local won't have that problem, or at least keep the issue to the minimum. 8 minutes isn't that much of an inconvenience honestly, just leave a little bit early.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Well the same thing could be said for (F) riders on the Culver Line, and I'd argue that even with the (N) local, they'd be spending even more additional time. That's the case with all these G.O's, someone's going to be inconvenienced. Otherwise we'd be in an even worse situation with even more track and signal problems left and right. 

The additional mileage incurred, trains and crews needed to extend the (J) out to Coney Island just isn't practical given that the (N) is already there. Neither (J) or (M)have any business being that far out there for the sake of providing connections within Brooklyn (especially southern Brooklyn). 

44 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Well the same thing could be said for (F) riders on the Culver Line, and I'd argue that even with the (N) local, they'd be spending even more additional time. That's the case with all these G.O's, someone's going to be inconvenienced. Otherwise we'd be in an even worse situation with even more track and signal problems left and right. 

The additional mileage incurred, trains and crews needed to extend the (J) out to Coney Island just isn't practical given that the (N) is already there. Neither (J) or (M)have any business being that far out there for the sake of providing connections within Brooklyn (especially southern Brooklyn). 

You can use the crews from the (F) that aren’t working due to the suspension of service from Church Ave to Coney Island. The (J) or (M) would need only three additional trains to maintain service on Nassau-Bway and extend into Brooklyn at 9th Ave.

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

You can use the crews from the (F) that aren’t working due to the suspension of service from Church Ave to Coney Island. The (J) or (M) would need only three additional trains to maintain service on Nassau-Bway and extend into Brooklyn at 9th Ave.

This makes even less sense. Who does this help exactly? There's no connection to the most impacted stations (18th Avenue to Kings Highway), where the closest train stations are either a long walk or a bus ride away. Just run the (N) local and call it a day. No need to complicate things for no apparent reason.

Also I have my doubts that only three extra trains would be needed, that sounds very, very tight, especially for the (M) . Again, neither has any business going down there to begin with.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

10 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

This makes even less sense. Who does this help exactly? There's no connection to the most impacted stations (18th Avenue to Kings Highway), where the closest train stations are either a long walk or a bus ride away. Just run the (N) local and call it a day. No need to complicate things for no apparent reason.

Also I have my doubts that only three extra trains would be needed, that sounds very, very tight, especially for the (M) . Again, neither has any business going down there to begin with.

How does it make less sense?

In the past the (J) has gone to Prospect Park to provide alternate service for the (4) and (5). In this instance, extending either the (J) or (M), and I’d rather the (M) since it’s shorter, will provide whoever’s going to Culver with alternate service from Essex St to the entire 4th Ave Line,

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

How does it make less sense?

In the past the (J) has gone to Prospect Park to provide alternate service for the (4) and (5). In this instance, extending either the (J) or (M), and I’d rather the (M) since it’s shorter, will provide whoever’s going to Culver with alternate service from Essex St to the entire 4th Ave Line,

That's comparing apples to oranges.

With the (J) supplementing the (4)(5), the affected area was between Manhattan and Brooklyn (namely Brooklyn Bridge and Atlantic Avenue). It makes sense in that case to send a (J) between those two stops, as folks can transfer to the (J) to connect between those two stops.

With the (F) suspension, the affected area is within Brooklyn, between Church Avenue and West 8th Street. The (N) is either within walking distance or a quick bus ride away from most (F) stops in that section, so it makes sense to redirect them there. Running it local allows for a connection at 4th - 9th, which means that those customers between Church Avenue and West 8th now have easier access to stops in Park Slope and Gowanus, rather than having to backtrack to Downtown Brooklyn or further north just to go back down.  

Extending the (J) and (M) down to 9th Avenue does nothing for those folks, because they don't need a connection from Manhattan to Brooklyn. They need service within Brooklyn. It would really only work if those trains ran further south, which isn't feasible given the current crew shortage.

6 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

With the (J) supplementing the (4)(5), the affected area was between Manhattan and Brooklyn (namely Brooklyn Bridge and Atlantic Avenue). It makes sense in that case to send a (J) between those two stops, as folks can transfer to the (J) to connect between those two stops.

With the (F) suspension, the affected area is within Brooklyn, between Church Avenue and West 8th Street. The (N) is either within walking distance or a quick bus ride away from most (F) stops in that section, so it makes sense to redirect them there. Running it local allows for a connection at 4th - 9th, which means that those customers between Church Avenue and West 8th now have easier access to stops in Park Slope and Gowanus, rather than having to backtrack to Downtown Brooklyn or further north just to go back down.  

Extending the (J) and (M) down to 9th Avenue does nothing for those folks, because they don't need a connection from Manhattan to Brooklyn. They need service within Brooklyn. It would really only work if those trains ran further south, which isn't feasible given the current crew shortage.

I actually don't know but even with the (J) extension for (4)(5) coverage (wasn't it actually just Chambers-Prospect Park shuttle?), the (J) largely carried air hence why they stopped it and opted an extended (2)(3) service instead?

26 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

I actually don't know but even with the (J) extension for (4)(5) coverage (wasn't it actually just Chambers-Prospect Park shuttle?), the (J) largely carried air hence why they stopped it and opted an extended (2)(3) service instead?

They stopped it cause no one knew it was happening.

6 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Let's agree to disagree. If I was going to Brooklyn on the (F) and saw service was suspended south of Church Ave, I would go to Essex and take the (M) then do the adventure of climbing down all the way to the (R).

On 3/18/2023 at 5:55 PM, Lawrence St said:

They stopped it cause no one knew it was happening.

Let's agree to disagree. If I was going to Brooklyn on the (F) and saw service was suspended south of Church Ave, I would go to Essex and take the (M) then do the adventure of climbing down all the way to the (R).

This to me is another argument to move the (R) to Nassau and make it a "Brown <R>," running it from 95th Street to a rebuilt Canal Street (abandoned platforms at Canal and Bowery on Nassau would be re-activated) where the <R> would terminate on weekdays (with scheduled in-service yard runs from and to Broadway Junction as this <R> would be based out of East New York).  Late nights and weekends, this <R> would replace the (M) shuttles and run Metropolitan-95th, making this a regular line.  The (W) can become full-time to replace the (R) in Manhattan and Queens to 71st-Continental. 

Downtown (A) departures originating at Dyckman St will begin service at 190 St instead

Mon to Fri, 4:15 PM to 5:15 PM until Apr 28

What's happening?

Switch repairs

Posted: 03/28/2023 05:16 PM

Station Notice

The last stop for some uptown (A) trains is 190 St or Dyckman St

Mon to Fri, 9:15 AM to 11:45 AM and 8:00 PM to 9:15 PM until Apr 28

What's happening?

Switch repairs

o

Edited by nightmare402

26 minutes ago, NBTA said:

There’s a G.O coming up for the R to be the sole QBL express, and it’s gonna terminate at Jackson Heights..?

I think all three are express (E)(F)(R), and after 9:45PM, you'll get the conga line of (E)(F)(R) all backing up since the 63 St switch that connects to QB will be locked in the express configuration. 

The GO states that the (R) will end earlier than 71 Av after 9:45PM every night (but that the fumigation will be moved to Roosevelt Av on Saturday night and Sunday night). The (E)(F) will run local from Queens Plaza to 71 Av ONLY from 10PM to midnight Friday night, then express from 36 St to Roosevelt Av after midnight, but local to 71 Av after Roosevelt Av every night. On Saturday and Sunday nights, the (E)(F) will only run local service from Roosevelt Av to 71 Av headed towards Jamaica.

Edited by darkstar8983

59 minutes ago, Lex said:

What possible excuse is there for bastardizing the (5) this weekend?

Mmm maybe the MTA doesn’t want too many trains passing thru the work area. Even the (2) is reduced to every 12 minutes: I don’t know why but what is it with the MTA always cutting service in the Bronx only to every 16 or even 20 minutes when there is work on the ELs. You don’t see this anywhere else (when the (7) has EL work, they run it at the least frequent every 8 minutes). 
If we were to use the logic we see in the Bronx then we should see the following reductions elsewhere

- No (A) service to one of the two Queens Branches, with those trains terminating at Euclid Av

- alternating (D) trains ending at 9 Av instead of going to Stillwell Av

- alternating (Q) Trains ending at Prospect Park

- Alternating (N) trains terminating at Times Square (headed towards Astoria) or 59 St/4 Av (towards Stillwell Av)

Edited by darkstar8983

35 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Mmm maybe the MTA doesn’t want too many trains passing thru the work area. Even the (2) is reduced to every 12 minutes: I don’t know why but what is it with the MTA always cutting service in the Bronx only to every 16 or even 20 minutes when there is work on the ELs. You don’t see this anywhere else (when the (7) has EL work, they run it at the least frequent every 8 minutes). 
If we were to use the logic we see in the Bronx then we should see the following reductions elsewhere

- No (A) service to one of the two Queens Branches, with those trains terminating at Euclid Av

- alternating (D) trains ending at 9 Av instead of going to Stillwell Av

- alternating (Q) Trains ending at Prospect Park

- Alternating (N) trains terminating at Times Square (headed towards Astoria) or 59 St/4 Av (towards Stillwell Av)

The reduction in (2) service is unrelated to the work in the Bronx. Also, the (2) and (5) are passing through that area as I type this with the same closures (it's also happening tomorrow).

34 minutes ago, Lex said:

The reduction in (2) service is unrelated to the work in the Bronx. Also, the (2) and (5) are passing through that area as I type this with the same closures (it's also happening tomorrow).

Oh no no. I understand that the (2) is reduced due to the work in Manhattan, but it gives operations a chance to have nearly uninterrupted access to the track with only 5 TPH in both directions and what I assume will be a slow speed order along most of White Plains Road or Southern Blvd

Planned - Part Suspended

The last stop for Queens-bound (R) is Queens Plaza 

Mar 31 - Apr 2, Fri to Sun, beginning at 9:45 PM

Transfer at 34 St-Herald Sq to a Queens-bound (E)* or (F) for local service in Queens.  

Shuttle Bus Free shuttle buses run between Queens Plaza and 21 St-Queensbridge.

Transfer between shuttle buses and trains at Queens Plaza | (R) or 21 St-Queensbridge | (E)(F)   

*Queens-bound (E) trains run via the (F) to 21 St-Queensbridge.  

For continued service, please ask for a transfer ticket from the station agent at Court Sq, Queens Plaza or 21 St-Queensbridge.

Reminder: (R) trains do not run in Queens overnight. 

What's happening?

We're modernizing signals on the Queens Blvd Line

Posted: 03/24/2023 02:57 PM

Planned - Local to Express

Forest Hills-bound (R) skips 36 St, Steinway St, 46 St, Northern Blvd and 65 St 

Apr 1 - 2, Sat and Sun, 6:30 AM to 9:45 PM

For service to these stations, take the (R) to Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av and transfer to a Bay Ridge-bound (R).  

For service from these stations, take the (R) to Queens Plaza and transfer to a Forest Hills-bound (R).  

What's happening?

Structural maintenance

——

How does one “take the (R) train to Roosevelt Ave and transfer to a Bay Ridge-bound (R)“ if the last stop is Queens Plaza over the weekend? 

7 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Planned - Part Suspended

The last stop for Queens-bound (R) is Queens Plaza 

Mar 31 - Apr 2, Fri to Sun, beginning at 9:45 PM

Transfer at 34 St-Herald Sq to a Queens-bound (E)* or (F) for local service in Queens.  

Shuttle Bus Free shuttle buses run between Queens Plaza and 21 St-Queensbridge.

Transfer between shuttle buses and trains at Queens Plaza | (R) or 21 St-Queensbridge | (E)(F)   

*Queens-bound (E) trains run via the (F) to 21 St-Queensbridge.  

For continued service, please ask for a transfer ticket from the station agent at Court Sq, Queens Plaza or 21 St-Queensbridge.

Reminder: (R) trains do not run in Queens overnight. 

What's happening?

We're modernizing signals on the Queens Blvd Line

Posted: 03/24/2023 02:57 PM

Planned - Local to Express

Forest Hills-bound (R) skips 36 St, Steinway St, 46 St, Northern Blvd and 65 St 

Apr 1 - 2, Sat and Sun, 6:30 AM to 9:45 PM

For service to these stations, take the (R) to Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av and transfer to a Bay Ridge-bound (R).  

For service from these stations, take the (R) to Queens Plaza and transfer to a Forest Hills-bound (R).  

What's happening?

Structural maintenance

——

How does one “take the (R) train to Roosevelt Ave and transfer to a Bay Ridge-bound (R)“ if the last stop is Queens Plaza over the weekend? 

Look at the times.