Planned Subway Service Changes

27 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Ah, yes, rush hour chaos on a saturday the moment something goes wrong... Ridership numbers say we only need one of the two and in the circumstances, the N wins.

Riding the (R) trains on weekends sucks, 63rd Drive,Woodhaven,Grand ave, Elmhurst Ave and Steinway St are packed on weekends due to just having 1 service serve those stations and when something goes wrong, We have to wait double the time. Running the (N) with the (R) wouldn't hurt, a train every 6 mins isn't bad. I wish the (G) could comeback during the weekends and nights because it's needed.

(MTA) ridership numbers are bullshit compared to what i see and for 12 years straight since these neighborhoods grew in population they have been screwed and when the road screws up on the (R) , They barely send a train to help so we wait 20 to 30 mins for the next train. It's annoying as f**k and makes me wish i could move back to Jamaica.

Edited by R32 3838

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I dont think so - the signals are not in place for that operation. The (N) shuttle will use its regular tracks in the canonical direction, just relay on the curve. 

They don't have to as long as they keep only one set on each track. It's how the R211 can test on the middle track on Sea Beach and the R179 ran back and forth testing on Brighton.

14 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

They don't have to as long as they keep only one set on each track. It's how the R211 can test on the middle track on Sea Beach and the R179 ran back and forth testing on Brighton.

Ahhh okay. Your Sea Beach middle track justification actually is not correct - the sea beach express track is ni-directional signaling - that’s how the (N) used that track between Kings Highway and 59 St during the station rehab

On 11/2/2022 at 11:39 PM, Lawrence St said:

Seems like they have their hands full with that concourse reconstruction.

And on top of that, this weekends Saturday GO with the (D) really screwed over Concourse Riders because the (C) headways are thinned out to every 15-20 mins. It makes sense from a crew availability Standpoint because the 15 (C) trains that are used weekends now have to cover a longer route (30 minutes total route length in both directions: extra 15 minutes each way)

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Ahhh okay. Your Sea Beach middle track justification actually is not correct - the sea beach express track is ni-directional signaling - that’s how the (N) used that track between Kings Highway and 59 St during the station rehab

You are correct that the middle track is bidirectionally signaled but they put it in absolute block between 8th Avenue and 86th Street when the R211 tests. 

also while I’m here: there are multiple 30 minute gaps on the (C) in the Bronx today, gee I guess they really did need the R68s to supplement after all :shrugs:

Edited by Around the Horn

This who process is chaos incarnate. 

Put it this way, normally, when we have a GO, it lists a supplemental schedule that we're supposed to use.

This GO does not. It just says "LS", or "Local supervision"... basically a run leaves when the dispatcher decides it's time for it to go.  

(Ironicly I'm assigned to the D today and need to be uptown in about three hours.

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

These tests are considered a GO. While the 211s are testing, E4 is classed as "out of service" and a temporary tie bumper is put down just south of 8th Avenue. The switches are locked in place and the signal system is disabled. the train operates on "line of sight", basically. and if any work that requires flagging needs to occur while the GO is in effect, R211 testing must be suspended. 

------

In other business, the Q GO for next weekend is finally listed on our internal site. The shuttle will run to the Lower Level at 63rd street and the through trains will run to Ditmars to connect to the 7 at QBP. Watch me get that gig. I kept going to Ditmars for the N shuttle the last few weeks.  

If what the feeds are saying is true, there's a 40-45 minute gap between the last (C) train to 205th and the first (C) train terminating at 145th.

Even if it's not, those directly involved in planning and/or approving today's service change together needs to have their heads examined. There's absolutely no way they could have though that having the (C) on 15 minute headways and being extended to the Bronx would not have caused issues in service. 

When I first saw the hours it was in effect I knew it was gonna be on some bullshit. Apparently they don't even have an actual schedule out for it either which is even worse. What I would have done if the change was necessary, is to have the (C) and (D) run the way they were planned for the  duration of the day. It would be like 7AM to 11 PM or something (and then have a modified schedule for it). That also provides enough cover in case whatever work was done took longer than usual.  Also affects fewer riders than those who are riding in between say 1-4 PM, who may find themselves screwed when they're planning their trips based on the GO and now it's all back to normal.

EDIT: Isn't this a wonderful to be happening right now. It'll make that (C) to (D) transition period even better (/s).

Delays

(A)(C) trains are delayed while we conduct emergency track repairs in Manhattan.

Posted: 11/05/2022 01:58PM

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• 3 weeks later...

Planned - Part Suspended

No late night (R) between Whitehall St-South Ferry and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr 

(R) runs express between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and 36 St 

Fri to Sun, Dec 2 - 18, 11:45 PM to 6:00 AM and Sun 11:45 PM to Mon 5:00 AM, Dec 4 - 19

(R) trains run between Bay Ridge-95 St and 36 St and express in both directions to/from Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr, the last stop.

For Whitehall St-South FerryCourt St and Jay St-MetroTech, use nearby (4) stations. 

For DeKalb Av, take the (N) or (Q) instead.    

For Union St4 Av-9 StProspect Av and 25 St, take the (D) or (N)

Transfer between the (R) and (4)(D)(N) trains at Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr Accessbility or (D)(N) at 36 St

What's happening?

We're making signal improvements

Posted: 11/18/2022 03:24PM

On 11/24/2022 at 6:46 PM, Vulturious said:

Planned - Part Suspended

No late night (R) between Whitehall St-South Ferry and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr 

(R) runs express between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and 36 St 

Fri to Sun, Dec 2 - 18, 11:45 PM to 6:00 AM and Sun 11:45 PM to Mon 5:00 AM, Dec 4 - 19

(R) trains run between Bay Ridge-95 St and 36 St and express in both directions to/from Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr, the last stop.

For Whitehall St-South FerryCourt St and Jay St-MetroTech, use nearby (4) stations. 

For DeKalb Av, take the (N) or (Q) instead.    

For Union St4 Av-9 StProspect Av and 25 St, take the (D) or (N)

Transfer between the (R) and (4)(D)(N) trains at Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr Accessbility or (D)(N) at 36 St

What's happening?

We're making signal improvements

Posted: 11/18/2022 03:24PM

Interesting:

I wonder if they would if such only involved Manhattan north of Whitehall they would consider borrowing ENY cars and have the (R) shuttles run from 95th-Chambers on the (J) or simply extend the (J) to 95th during those times in place of the (R).  

3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Interesting:

I wonder if they would if such only involved Manhattan north of Whitehall they would consider borrowing ENY cars and have the (R) shuttles run from 95th-Chambers on the (J) or simply extend the (J) to 95th during those times in place of the (R).  

Whenever those GOs happen it’s because the tracks between Atlantic Av Barclays Center and Whitehall St are not available in at least one direction. If the work is done north of Whitehall st, the (R) shuttle might still run. Not 100% sure

4 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Interesting:

You know... in the past, your ideas never made sense. Now that I am actually on the other side of the mirror now... they make even less sense. 

1: A train can't turn at Chambers Street coming from the south.

2: The GO has taken the tunnel out for those three weekends. 

3: on the first of those weekends the Willy B is closed as well. 

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

You know... in the past, your ideas never made sense. Now that I am actually on the other side of the mirror now... they make even less sense. 

1: A train can't turn at Chambers Street coming from the south.

2: The GO has taken the tunnel out for those three weekends. 

3: on the first of those weekends the Willy B is closed as well. 

Obviously I didn't know Montague was out AND the way I wrote that, obviously Montague would have had to be available.

This would have been in the overnight hours when fewer trains were operating to begin with (so the (R) could in theory in this run to Canal or Essex and turn there).

I didn't know the Willy B was out (and it would only have come into play if the (J) were extended). 

On 11/26/2022 at 3:52 AM, Wallyhorse said:

Obviously I didn't know Montague was out AND the way I wrote that, obviously Montague would have had to be available.

This would have been in the overnight hours when fewer trains were operating to begin with (so the (R) could in theory in this run to Canal or Essex and turn there).

I didn't know the Willy B was out (and it would only have come into play if the (J) were extended). 

Just stop. We all know what you really want. We also know it would be insanely unattractive, as all iterations proved to be either under highly unusual circumstances (and quickly reverted with little to no ceremony) or duds, particularly after the rise of Midtown.

I'm late to the party on this but I have a few questions for anyone proposing that one yard lend equipment to a line from another yard for the purposes of making service:

1. How are we getting the borrowed equipment to that line for the start of the GO?

2. Where is the normal equipment for that line going to go during the GO?

and 3. How are we going to ensure that both the borrowed and sidelined equipment is going to be in the proper places to resume normal service when the GO concludes?

Am I reading this right? The 53rd Street Tunnel will be out of service 24/7 the entire week as well as (M) service in the QBL? Granted this is during Christmas week where not many people I think would ride the subway but still.

Planned - Trains Rerouted

(E) runs via the (F) in both directions between 21 St-Queensbridge and W 4 St-Wash Sq

Dec 26 - 31, Mon 4:45 AM to Sat 5:00 AM

No (E) service at Queens PlazaCourt Sq-23 StLexington Av/53 St5 Av/53 St7 Av50 St42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal34 St-Penn Station23 St and 14 St.

Travel Alternatives:

For Queens Plaza, take the (R) (days/evenings) or use the nearby Queensboro Plaza (7)(N) station.

For Court Sq-23 St, take the (7).

For Lexington Av/53 St, use the (4) local, (6) via transfer with the (7) at Grand Central-42 St or (R) (days/evenings) at Lexington Av/59 St.

For 5 Av/53 St, use nearby (F) stations at 57 St or 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr.

For 7 Av, take the (D).

For 50 St42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal34 St-Penn Station23 St and 14 St, take the (A)(C) or use nearby (F) stations along 6 Av.

Transfer stations:

Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av/74 St-Broadway(E)(7)(R)

Lexington Av/59 St (4) local, (6)(R)

47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr Accessbility | (D)(E)

42 St-Bryant Pk (E) and (7) (5 Av)

(The passageway between 42 St-Bryant Pk and Times Sq-42 St will remain open overnight)

Times Sq-42 St/Port Authority (7)(A)(C)(N)(R)

34 St-Herald Sq(E)(F)(N)(R)

W 4 St-Wash Sq | (A)(C)(D)(E)

Note: (M) trains are not running between Delancey St-Essex St and Forest Hills-71 Av during this time.

What's happening?

Track maintenance

Planned - Part Suspended

No (M) between Delancey St-Essex St and Forest Hills-71 Av

Dec 26 - 30, Mon to Fri, 5:00 AM to 10:00 PM

(M) trains run between Middle Village-Metropolitan Av and Delancey St-Essex St and via the (J) to/from Chambers St, the last stop.

Travel Alternatives:

For Broadway-Lafayette St, W 4 St-Wash Sq, 14 St, 23 St, 34 St-Herald Sq, 42 St-Bryant Pk and 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr, take the (F).

For 5 Av/53 St and Lexington Av/53 St, use the nearby 51 St (6) or 5 Av/59 StLexington Av/59 St (R) stations.

For Court Sq-23 St, take the (7).

For 36 St, Steinway St, 46 St, Northern Blvd, 65 St, Elmhurst Av, Grand Av-Newtown, Woodhaven Blvd, 63 Dr-Rego Park and 67 Av, take the (R).

For Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av and Forest Hills-71 Av, take the (E)(F) or (R)

Transfer stations:

Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs (L)(M)

Delancey St-Essex St (F)(M)

Bleecker St/Broadway-Lafayette St | (6)(F)

Canal St (6)(M)(R)

14 St-Union Sq (6)(L)(R)

14 St (F)(L)

34 St-Herald Sq | (E)(F)(R)

42 St-Bryant Pk/5 Av (7)(E)(F)

Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av/74 St-Broadway(7)(E)(F)R

Note: E trains are running via the F between W 4 St-Wash Sq and 21 St-Queensbridge during this time.

What's happening?

Track maintenance

10 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

It wasn't done in 2019 nor last year.

I think they did it last year. or maybe it was 2020. I think last year it wasn't done because of the omicron surge, and a lot of subway routes were already cut. (B)(C)(W) and (Z) 

Edited by darkstar8983

16 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Why not during this period extend the (G) to 71st-Continental during hours the (E) normally runs express that week?  That would solve a lot of issues. 

no cars available for the service unfortunately, and ridership levels that week do not justify that routing. the (R) will be sufficient

Also do not forget that during the 53 St Tunnel GO, there are other service changes:

1. Reduced rush hour service on the (E)(F) trains to only 24 trains pre hour due to the West 4 St interlocking.

2. No 179 St (E) train trips.

3. <F> will likely be canceled that week.

4. (M) headways will probably be cut to every 10 minutes due to Chambers St turning limitations. 

*To take advantage fully of the GO, they should extend this GO to run from 9PM Friday December 23 until 5:30AM Tuesday January 3rd. Twice the time workers have access to the tunnel, and trains are already on weekend schedules all the extra days anyways. 

Edited by darkstar8983

45 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Also do not forget that during the 53 St Tunnel GO, there are other service changes:

1. Reduced rush hour service on the (E)(F) trains to only 24 trains pre hour due to the West 4 St interlocking.

2. No 179 St (E) train trips.

3. <F> will likely be canceled that week.

4. (M) headways will probably be cut to every 10 minutes due to Chambers St turning limitations. 

*To take advantage fully of the GO, they should extend this GO to run from 9PM Friday December 23 until 5:30AM Tuesday January 3rd. Twice the time workers have access to the tunnel, and trains are already on weekend schedules all the extra days anyways. 

Actually why not just send the (M) to Broad St? Which has it's own issues but doesn't delay service nearly as much as Dungeon St...I mean Chambers St.