Planned Subway Service Changes

1 hour ago, Maxwell179 said:

Some Manhattan-bound (F) trains skip 21 St-Queensbridge, Roosevelt Island, Lexington Av/63 St, and 57 St 

Feb 21 - 24, Tue to Fri, 7:15 AM to 8:30 AM

Select Manhattan-bound (F) trains run via the (E) after Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av to 5 Av/53 St, resuming regular service at 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr.  

For service to skipped stations, take a Manhattan-bound (F) making regular stops. 

Some Jamaica-bound (F) trains skip 57 St, Lexington Av/63 St, Roosevelt Island and 21 St-Queensbridge 

Feb 21 - 24, Tue to Fri, 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM

Select Jamaica-bound (F) trains run via the (E) after 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr to Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av and resume regular service.

For service to skipped stations, take a Jamaica-bound (F) making regular stops. 

What's happening?

Track, switch and modern signaling upgrades

Wonder what this is about. Perhaps to provide alternate (M) service?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Wonder what this is about. Perhaps to provide alternate (M) service?

Yes. The 53 St tunnel gets too much passenger traffic for just the (E) to handle, and 63 St will get a service cut  (so people at 21 St-Queensbridge will have longer waits), while Roosevelt Island people could use the tram (or longer wait), and Lexington Av-63 St people can stick with the (Q) (and the two supplemental (N) trains)

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like we’re going to have some service changes coming to the (7) soon, Station renewals coming to 82 St and 111 St, construction expected May 2023, as well as the other stations, Woodside 61 Street Renewal in June 2023, 52 st and 69 st in 2024, and lastly 103 st Corona plaza in 2025, eventually the <7> express service will be affected, it’ll only run from Main St to 74 St during days of renovations at 61 Street

63 St Line Direct Fixation Track Rehabilitation (F)Line, Queens and Manhattan Spring through Autumn, 2023 

Replacement of Direct Fixation track 

63 St Line (F): • 57 St/6 Av – 21 St-Queensbridge 

Weekdays, May 1 St– June 30, 2023 Phase 1

Queens-bound track out of service from Lexington Av/63 St to 36 St • Weekday service • (F) via 53 St in both directions • (M) via 63 St to Manhattan and via 53 St to Queens • Reduced (E)(F)(M)* service rush hours 

Weekends and nights, May 1 St – June 30, 2023 Phase 1

Queens-bound track out of service from Lexington Av/63 St to 36 St • Weekend and overnight service • (F) via 63 St to Manhattan and via 53 St to Queens • (F)local in Queens

Weekdays, July 1 St – August 11, 2023 Phase 2 

• Both tracks out between Lexington Av/63 St and 57 St/6 Av • Weekday service • (F)(M)* via 53 St in both directions • (R) via 63 St in both directions • Reduced service on (E)(F)(M) rush hours • No service at 57 St/6 Av • No direct service between Queens Plaza and Lex Av/59 St • July 4 full service ((R)) at Roosevelt Island

Weekends, July 1 St – August 11, 2023 Phase 2

Both tracks out between Lexington Av/63 St and 57 St/6 Av • Weekend service • (F) via 53 St in both directions • (F) local in Queens • (R) via 63 St in both directions

Nights, July 1 – August 11, 2023 Phase 2 

Both tracks out between Lexington Av/63 St and 57 St/6 Av

• Overnight service

(E) via 63 St and Broadway Line

(E) terminates at 34 St-Herald Square

• (F) via 53 St in both directions

(E) (F)local in Queens

Weekdays, August 12th – October 13, 2023 Phase 3 

Manhattan-bound track out of service from 36 St to Lexington Av/63 St • Weekday service

• (M) via 63 St Queens-bound and via 53 St Manhattan-bound

• Reduced (E)(F)(M)* service rush hours

Weekends and Nights, August 12th – October 13, 2023 Phase 3 

Manhattan-bound track out of service from 36 St to Lexington Av/63 St

Weekend/night service Phase 3

(F)via 63 St Queens-bound and via 53 St Manhattan-bound

• (F)local in Queens

The various merges are going to be a real headache during rush hour, even with reduced service. Especially at Queens Plaza where trains have to crawl up to the switches if they are reversed, let's hope CBTC issues are resolved soon.

The materials say that leaving the (M) running in Queens is dependent on a feasibility analysis. So if that doesn't pan out, why not consider cutting the (M) to Chambers , and running 8 or 10 car (G) trains to 71st via QBL local during the week.  Unless CBTC crew training or other constraints won't allow that.

Also won't the (R) via 63rd during phase 2 conflict with the upcoming long term QBL East GO that has evening (R) ending at Queens Plaza...

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

15 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

The various merges are going to be a real headache during rush hour, even with reduced service. Especially at Queens Plaza where trains have to crawl up to the switches if they are reversed, let's hope CBTC issues are resolved soon.

The materials say that leaving the (M) running in Queens is dependent on a feasibility analysis. So if that doesn't pan out, why not consider cutting the (M) to Chambers , and running 8 or 10 car (G) trains to 71st via QBL local during the week.  Unless CBTC crew training or other constraints won't allow that.

Also won't the (R) via 63rd during phase 2 conflict with the upcoming long term QBL East GO that has evening (R) ending at Queens Plaza...

When i read that last long-term GO, i was like "uhhh is this a joke or a fan-based GO"? looks very complicated and I want to see proof of this change happening. It's going to be a MESS for all the QB lines (E)(F)(M)(R). I think this GO can only be accomplished if during rush hours the reductions include NO 179 St (E) trips, and alternating (M) trains terminate at 57 St-6 Av. Non-rush hours, the (E)(F)(M) can all share 53 St.

With respect to extending the (G) to 71 Av, not gonna happen - there are not enough cars available to make that work. 

The (R) train rerouting and the (E) rerouting I had to re-read the GO a few times to understand WHY they were getting rerouted to 63 St (to provide service at these stations). Wait until the Queensboro Plaza GO starts affecting the (N) and all this s*** going on underground. 

During phase 2 (I think), where both 63 St/6 Av connector tracks are out of service, I would just run the (M) from Metropolitan Av to 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Center, then to the 57 St Station. - No service to 71 Av,  and that way, the (E)(F) can use 53 St, and the (R) will I guess use 63 St (since 63 St tunnel stops have to be served).

As for the (R) layups, they can still happen - the express tracks where the (R) will be laid up will be east of the 36 St interlocking. 

6 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Something i forgot to highlight in this GO is why the (F) is getting weekday access in both directions via 53 St and the (M) is getting rerouted to 63 St in the open direction? Does this work also include a study for swapping the (F)(M) lines in the tunnel crossing?

Was wondering that myself. 

23 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

It looks like we’re going to have some service changes coming to the (7) soon, Station renewals coming to 82 St and 111 St, construction expected May 2023, as well as the other stations, Woodside 61 Street Renewal in June 2023, 52 st and 69 st in 2024, and lastly 103 st Corona plaza in 2025, eventually the <7> express service will be affected, it’ll only run from Main St to 74 St during days of renovations at 61 Street

Why can't the express just bypass Woodside-61 St? is it because equipment needs to be set up due to the express platform configuration? At that point, might  as well make all the (7) trains local the whole way from 34 St-Hudson Yards to Main St.

On 3/13/2023 at 2:41 PM, Chris89292 said:

Then what’s the point of a <7>?

14 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I heard they cancelled (N) to forest hills

I kind of saw this coming. It's too complicated to set up and the track capacity needs to be available for reroutes, such as now this (F) train project. I think any Queensboro Plaza work that will affect (N) service will just cut service back from Ditmars Blvd to Times Square, since running an isolated Astoria shuttle from Ditmars Blvd to 39 Av will cause its own problems. Issues also may stem from crews not ready on the (N) route to run CBTC service since equipment needs to strategically be placed (i.e. putting the R68s away for the weekend and taking out the R160s, then vice-versa on Monday AM), increased running times and subsequent service frequency reductions to provide the most consistent service using the available train crews.

10 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I kind of saw this coming. It's too complicated to set up and the track capacity needs to be available for reroutes, such as now this (F) train project. I think any Queensboro Plaza work that will affect (N) service will just cut service back from Ditmars Blvd to Times Square, since running an isolated Astoria shuttle from Ditmars Blvd to 39 Av will cause its own problems. Issues also may stem from crews not ready on the (N) route to run CBTC service since equipment needs to strategically be placed (i.e. putting the R68s away for the weekend and taking out the R160s, then vice-versa on Monday AM), increased running times and subsequent service frequency reductions to provide the most consistent service using the available train crews.

Why is an Astoria shuttle even being considered? There's nothing to connect it to!

19 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

63 St Line Direct Fixation Track Rehabilitation (F)Line, Queens and Manhattan Spring through Autumn, 2023 

Replacement of Direct Fixation track 

63 St Line (F): • 57 St/6 Av – 21 St-Queensbridge 

Weekdays, May 1 St– June 30, 2023 Phase 1

Queens-bound track out of service from Lexington Av/63 St to 36 St • Weekday service • (F) via 53 St in both directions • (M) via 63 St to Manhattan and via 53 St to Queens • Reduced (E)(F)(M)* service rush hours 

Weekends and nights, May 1 St – June 30, 2023 Phase 1

Queens-bound track out of service from Lexington Av/63 St to 36 St • Weekend and overnight service • (F) via 63 St to Manhattan and via 53 St to Queens • (F)local in Queens

Weekdays, July 1 St – August 11, 2023 Phase 2 

• Both tracks out between Lexington Av/63 St and 57 St/6 Av • Weekday service • (F)(M)* via 53 St in both directions • (R) via 63 St in both directions • Reduced service on (E)(F)(M) rush hours • No service at 57 St/6 Av • No direct service between Queens Plaza and Lex Av/59 St • July 4 full service ((R)) at Roosevelt Island

Weekends, July 1 St – August 11, 2023 Phase 2

Both tracks out between Lexington Av/63 St and 57 St/6 Av • Weekend service • (F) via 53 St in both directions • (F) local in Queens • (R) via 63 St in both directions

Nights, July 1 – August 11, 2023 Phase 2 

Both tracks out between Lexington Av/63 St and 57 St/6 Av

• Overnight service

(E) via 63 St and Broadway Line

(E) terminates at 34 St-Herald Square

(E) (F)local in Queens

Weekdays, August 12th – October 13, 2023 Phase 3 

Manhattan-bound track out of service from 36 St to Lexington Av/63 St • Weekday service

• (M) via 63 St Queens-bound and via 53 St Manhattan-bound

• Reduced (E)(F)(M)* service rush hours

Weekends and Nights, August 12th – October 13, 2023 Phase 3 

Manhattan-bound track out of service from 36 St to Lexington Av/63 St

Weekend/night service Phase 3

(F)via 63 St Queens-bound and via 53 St Manhattan-bound

• (F)local in Queens

the project COULD be finished faster if the following adjustments were done:

1. (F) via 53 St all times

2. (M) train rerouted via 63 St to/from 96 St-2 Av (Q) station during phase 1 and phase 3 (combined to a new phase 1), then cut back to 57 St-6 Av during phase 2.

*this way, the rush hour (E)(F)(M) are not reduced, at the expense of the loss of flexibility should something happen in the 53 St tube. With the current project setup, the flexibility would be maintained in at least one direction.

They’re doing track work one direction at a time, right? 

19 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

*this way, the rush hour (E)(F)(M) are not reduced, at the expense of the loss of flexibility should something happen in the 53 St tube. With the current project setup, the flexibility would be maintained in at least one direction.

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Why can't the express just bypass Woodside-61 St? is it because equipment needs to be set up due to the express platform configuration? At that point, might  as well make all the (7) trains local the whole way from 34 St-Hudson Yards to Main St.

I’m not sure why the MTA decided to do this, but I could possibly be that the crews will make structural repairs on the express track, the project includes track component repairs so I believe it could possibly be that, it’ll affect <7> express from running in the middle track, it is subject to change, as schedules are still being planned to satisfy riders

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

https://new.mta.info/project/flushing-line More information here

24 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

the project COULD be finished faster if the following adjustments were done:

1. (F) via 53 St all times

2. (M) train rerouted via 63 St to/from 96 St-2 Av (Q) station during phase 1 and phase 3 (combined to a new phase 1), then cut back to 57 St-6 Av during phase 2.

Before I add more onto this, I have to point out that isn't 57 St station also affected? https://www.cb8m.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/63-St-Direct-Fixation-Stakeholder-Presentation-2023-02-10.pdf. The PDF states explicitly that 57 St is also affected so I don't know how well that will turn out. 

Anyway, I do have to agree that the project would definitely finish faster if they go for a  full closure. I seriously do not know who's making these G.O.'s and why this is actually being proposed. We need to get back into the mindset of what it used to be a few years ago and just go for a full closure to get the project done quicker because it'll end up being half-assed. Seriously, look at the (L) shut down, we have that happening like every few months, it just doesn't make sense. 

One extra thing I would do in this scenario and this is rather unorthodox and practically everyone is going to hate the idea, but they should run the (E) local along QBL during this time. They could always send the (G) to Forest Hills, let them borrow a good chunk of the R160's from the (M) in the meantime. If it's not feasible, then better to run the (E) local to compensate the lack of the second local train. QBL riders are already going to have pretty ass service under the current planned G.O. anyway.

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Before I add more onto this, I have to point out that isn't 57 St station also affected? https://www.cb8m.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/63-St-Direct-Fixation-Stakeholder-Presentation-2023-02-10.pdf. The PDF states explicitly that 57 St is also affected so I don't know how well that will turn out. 

Anyway, I do have to agree that the project would definitely finish faster if they go for a  full closure. I seriously do not know who's making these G.O.'s and why this is actually being proposed. We need to get back into the mindset of what it used to be a few years ago and just go for a full closure to get the project done quicker because it'll end up being half-assed. Seriously, look at the (L) shut down, we have that happening like every few months, it just doesn't make sense. 

One extra thing I would do in this scenario and this is rather unorthodox and practically everyone is going to hate the idea, but they should run the (E) local along QBL during this time. They could always send the (G) to Forest Hills, let them borrow a good chunk of the R160's from the (M) in the meantime. If it's not feasible, then better to run the (E) local to compensate the lack of the second local train. QBL riders are already going to have pretty ass service under the current planned G.O. anyway.

Reading into this..makes me think that the (M) and (F) are definitely gonna get swapped after everything is done. Makes the QBL mergers a lot easier. 

It is real, I just saw confirmation. Also apparently the (N) to Forest Hills and subsequent Queensboro Plaza rebuild has been pushed to next year.

Just run the (M) to 96th St, shut down 63rd St entirely, and call it a day. I don’t know why their doing all this extra nonsense 

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

It is real, I just saw confirmation. Also apparently the (N) to Forest Hills and subsequent Queensboro Plaza rebuild has been pushed to next year.

Just run the (M) to 96th St, shut down 63rd St entirely, and call it a day. I don’t know why their doing all this extra nonsense 

They're trying to give Roosevelt Island service in at least one direction for as much as possible to reduce the number of shuttle buses needed.

The last stop for Queens-bound (R) is Queens Plaza - For service, take the (E) or (F) , making local stops

Effective Mar 17, every night, beginning at 9:45 PM

Transfer at Queens Plaza (E) or 34 St-Herald Sq(F) 

Manhattan-bound (R) service from Forest Hills-71 Av runs as scheduled. 

Reminder: (R) trains do not run in Queens overnight. 

What's happening?

We're modernizing signals on the Queens Blvd Line

15 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

The last stop for Queens-bound (R) is Queens Plaza - For service, take the (E) or (F) , making local stops

Effective Mar 17, every night, beginning at 9:45 PM

Transfer at Queens Plaza (E) or 34 St-Herald Sq(F) 

Manhattan-bound (R) service from Forest Hills-71 Av runs as scheduled. 

Reminder: (R) trains do not run in Queens overnight. 

What's happening?

We're modernizing signals on the Queens Blvd Line

They are going to start CBTC work east of Union Turnpike so the Lay ups between Union turnpike and 169th are going to be moved over to the Express Tracks between Forest Hills and Roosevelt ave. Because of this the (R) has to terminate at Queens Plaza after a certain time.