Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the 63rd Street project is back on track, New starting date is August 2023 (Subject to change)

Proposed Weekday Service Plan - Revised
• One track out of service between 57 St/6 Av
and 36 St
(F) via 53 St  (E) line in both directions
• No (M) trains on Queens Blvd 
(M) from Ridgewood & Brooklyn terminates at 57 St/6 Av, 6 AM-9 PM 
• Reduced (E) (F)(M) service rush hours
• Increased (R) service
(S) shuttle train between Lex Av/63 St and 21 St-Queensbridge, every 20 minutes 
• Free shuttle bus between 21 St- Queensbridge and Queens Plaza

Proposed Overnight Service Plan - Revised
• Both tracks out of service between 57 St/6
Av and 36 St, seven nights per week
• Overnight service
(S) shuttle train suspended 
• Free shuttle bus between Roosevelt Island, 21 St-Queensbridge, and Queens Plaza
• No service at 57 St/6 Av

Proposed Weekend Service Plan - Revised
and 36 St
• Weekend service
(R) normal service in both directions 
• Selected weekends with both tracks out of service, shuttle buses provided, dates TBD

Edited by Chris89292

11 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

Looks like the 63rd Street project is back on track, New starting date is August 2023 (Subject to change)

and 36 St
• Increased (R) service

• Overnight service
• Free shuttle bus between Roosevelt Island, 21 St-Queensbridge, and Queens Plaza

and 36 St
• Weekend service
• Selected weekends with both tracks out of service, shuttle buses provided, dates TBD

where did you find the revised one

edit: nevermind i found it

Edited by nightmare402

12 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

and 36 St
• Increased (R) service

• Overnight service

and 36 St
• Weekend service

I wonder why they still had to reduce the (E)(F)(M) during rush hours considering that the (M) has been slashed from QB for the duration of the work. 53 St should be just fine now with no merges at 36 St.

and not to Toot my own horn but I kinda called it with respect to how the MTA now proposed slashing the (M) from Queens Blvd. 

The question now becomes: 

how long will the project last now? And does this mean that there’s a possibility of the (C) losing its R46s temporarily due to the now surplus of R160s that will be available from the (M) (to be used on the (J) instead). This could then therefore temporarily assign the R179s to the (C) and reduce their mileage / increase the spare factor on the (A) ? Just a thought.

Edited by darkstar8983

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I wonder why they still had to reduce the (E)(F)(M) during rush hours considering that the (M) has been slashed from QB for the duration of the work. 53 St should be just fine now with no merges at 36 St.

and not to Toot my own horn but I kinda called it with respect to how the MTA now proposed slashing the (M) from Queens Blvd. 

The question now becomes: 

how long will the project last now? And does this mean that there’s a possibility of the (C) losing its R46s temporarily due to the now surplus of R160s that will be available from the (M) (to be used on the (J) instead). This could then therefore temporarily assign the R179s to the (C) and reduce their mileage / increase the spare factor on the (A) ? Just a thought.

Here’s a thought… where are they going to park them? There is only so much yard capacity, after all.

19 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

and 36 St
• Increased (R) service

• Overnight service

and 36 St
• Weekend service

Why not just run the (M) to 96th St? Suspend the (W) during this time and divert some (Q) trains to Astoria to free up some room.

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Here’s a thought… where are they going to park them? There is only so much yard capacity, after all.

Excess R46 trains can be stored maybe at Rockaway Park Yard, some transferred to Coney Island, since Jamaica will have no need to park 8-car R160s that normally run on the (M) .

so in my case, swap would be:

ENY R179s (3050-3137) to 207 St

A few R46s from Pitkin to CI (5479-5901)

Something else I see is that since all (M) trains will be originating at 57 St/6 Av, there will be a late start to AM rush hour service towards Metropolitan Av and potentially a slight increase in the time to which night service is provided towards Metropolitan Av.

likely fleet requirements:

(M) - 112 R160A cars (14 trains)

(J) - 160 R160A cars (20 trains)

(C) - 144 R179 cars (18 trains)

(E) - 240 R160 cars (24 trains)

(F) - 420 R160 cars (42 trains)

(R) - 340 R160 cars (34 trains)

*small shift in cars normally assigned to (E)(F) service to the (R).

63 St (S) - unknown (if 8 R46 cars or 10 R160 cars - likely R46s)

service levels

(E) - no Jamaica-179 St trips, every 5 minutes rush hours

(F) - No Express <F> and service every 5 minutes (10 minutes to/from Stillwell Av)

(R) - every 5 minutes instead of every 6 minutes, a few more trips terminate at 59 St/4 Av

(M) - every 10 minutes full route due to single track terminal at 57 St/6 Av (only 13-14 trains will be needed for service). If both tracks available, then (M) service can run regular service levels (every 7 minutes both directions; and will require 16 trainsets)

Edited by darkstar8983

3 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Work is being done north of 57 St that affects the line if I'm not mistaken. 

Yes correct regarding the work north of 57 St now preventing the (M) from proceeding north of that point. Will definitely make (L) train GOs that extend the (M) on weekends to midtown easier since there will be a stable terminal.

However you do bring up a valid point about the (N)(W). Service on the (N) will need to be reduced to accommodate the extra (R) trains coming from 71 Av (AM rush) and going towards 71 Av (PM rush). Likely fewer (W) trains, or more (N) trains via 2 Av.

On 6/7/2023 at 9:18 PM, Chris89292 said:

and 36 St
• Increased (R) service

• Overnight service

and 36 St
• Weekend service

Yes, and just like the original, I found it on Manhattan Community Board 8’s website from a Google search. I didn’t find it anywhere on the MTA’s website, same with the original.

https://www.cb8m.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/63-St-Direct-Fixation-Public-Presentation-June-2023.pdf

At the very least, they should run the (M) to 57th and 6th on the weekend too. I don’t think it’s such a good idea to shut down a station in the heart of Manhattan on the weekend given how bustling that area gets on weekends.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Yes, and just like the original, I found it on Manhattan Community Board 8’s website from a Google search. I didn’t find it anywhere on the MTA’s website, same with the original.

https://www.cb8m.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/63-St-Direct-Fixation-Public-Presentation-June-2023.pdf

At the very least, they should run the (M) to 57th and 6th on the weekend too. I don’t think it’s such a good idea to shut down a station in the heart of Manhattan on the weekend given how bustling that area gets on weekends.

If ridership demands it, why not? It can run every 12 minutes if the issue is number of TPH on each corridor, since the (D) and (F) are each every 12 minutes or even less frequent. It’s only an 8 stop extension, and would really serve a busy commercial district, in addition to allowing further (L) train work to continue such as

- ADA Accessibility at 6 Av, Metropolitan Av-Lorimer St, and Grand St

- routine maintenance

34 minutes ago, CenSin said:

lol

Imagine people get a taste of (F) via 53 Street and then community pressure demands that the MTA make it permanent with the (M) on 63 Street.

Well at least QBL would have less of a mess with the swap as only locals and expresses interfere with each other along that corridor. That begs the question though, wonder how well riders along 63 St would handle knowing they basically got a downgrade from a full length 10 car to 8 cars?

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Well at least QBL would have less of a mess with the swap as only locals and expresses interfere with each other along that corridor. That begs the question though, wonder how well riders along 63 St would handle knowing they basically got a downgrade from a full length 10 car to 8 cars?

Might makes right. Squeakiest wheel gets the grease. Yada yada…

14 hours ago, CenSin said:

lol

Imagine people get a taste of (F) via 53 Street and then community pressure demands that the MTA make it permanent with the (M) on 63 Street.

Considering the mad rush from the F coming from Queens to the 96th street bound Q I see every morning while working the F or the Q… yeah, not going to happen if they can get away with it.

everyone then gets off one stop later at 72 street and starts hiking toward New York Presbyterian… it’s already the 30th busiest station, and just so many people in scrubs it’s not funny.

7 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Considering the mad rush from the F coming from Queens to the 96th street bound Q I see every morning while working the F or the Q… yeah, not going to happen if they can get away with it.

everyone then gets off one stop later at 72 street and starts hiking toward New York Presbyterian… it’s already the 30th busiest station, and just so many people in scrubs it’s not funny.

The whole of 2 Avenue is basically lined with hospitals. Two of my friends worked for NYU Langone, which is located at around 34 Street and 1 Avenue. They’d walk to/from Lexington Avenue to avoid taking the bus. So I guess in either service setup, one group will win and the other will lose.

Ten years ago, I told the two of them that SAS was coming to save them. I chuckle at my naïveté today.

Edited by CenSin

10 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

These same people can’t just as easily take the (M) to the (Q)?

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

These same people can’t just as easily take the (M) to the (Q)?

The question is: where are these people ultimately coming from and in what proportions?

Assuming the switch is made:

• People (the NYP staff) east of Forest Hills would be the biggest losers.
  • People along the local stops from Forest Hills to 36 Street would be the biggest winners.
  • People getting on at Forest Hills or Jackson Heights (including those from Woodside, Elmhurst, Corona, and Flushing) would be somewhere in between.

Also to be taken into consideration:

• The NYC Health + Hospitals / Metropolitan at 96 Street ((Q))
  • Northwell Health at Lexington Avenue/53 Street ((E)(F))
  • NYU Langone Health at 33 Street and 1 Avenue ((6))
  • NYC Health and Hospitals / Bellevue at 28 Street and 1 Avenue ((6))