Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody know what work is being done on the Brighton Line this weekend that they shut the line down?  I know they are doing station work at Cortelyou Road but they don' t need to shut the whole 4 track line down to do station work on a side platform.   I walked home in the rain last night from the F because of it.

2 hours ago, zacster said:

Does anybody know what work is being done on the Brighton Line this weekend that they shut the line down?  I know they are doing station work at Cortelyou Road but they don' t need to shut the whole 4 track line down to do station work on a side platform.   I walked home in the rain last night from the F because of it.

I thought it was track work being done on the line. There were shuttle buses running from Atlantic Avenue to the south. Carry on.

4 hours ago, zacster said:

track work important enough the line has a 10 MPH slow zone in effect at all times between prospect and 7th for the next three weeks. 

On 3/30/2023 at 9:44 AM, Lex said:

What possible excuse is there for bastardizing the (5) this weekend?

At this point I don't even know why they run the thing south of East 180th on weekends anymore. It's always split in half or running every 20 minutes, how does that help anybody?

57 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Is there a reason why the (Q) is ending on the 4th Ave platforms at Atlantic instead of the brighton platforms?

I would assume because of the lack of any switches to turn trains around on the Brighton platform. Although, they really should an x-switch over there if ever possible and I want to say the same thing by adding some extra switches for the 4 Av platforms.

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

My head hurts reading this (R) service change.

So queens bound (R) trains are running via the (F) from 57th St-7th Ave and ending at Roosevelt Ave, while Manhattan bound (R) trains run normal???

No. The (R) is going to 71 Av until 9:45PM. The last 10-12 (R) trains end at Roosevelt Av, then lay up between Roosevelt and 71 Av.

2 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

At that point just send the (R) to 96th St.

Those (R) trains are needed for daily service on the (E)(F)(R), and need to be moved so that the (E)(F) can run express. Before this service change, no one noticed it because the last (R) trains of the evening would lay up on the express tracks east of 71 Av towards 179’St, then run on the (F) the next day

Edited by darkstar8983

Next Weekend, West End line on the (D) will be taken over by the (Q) line, partially the (N) too because it'll run to Coney Island southbound only. Brighton line between Prospect Park and Coney Island will have a Shuttle train and the bus between Prospect Park and Atlantic Av-Barclays Center, the Q90. 

Edited by Calvin

On 3/13/2023 at 2:41 PM, Chris89292 said:

It looks like we’re going to have some service changes coming to the (7) soon, Station renewals coming to 82 St and 111 St, construction expected May 2023, as well as the other stations, Woodside 61 Street Renewal in June 2023, 52 st and 69 st in 2024, and lastly 103 st Corona plaza in 2025, eventually the <7> express service will be affected, it’ll only run from Main St to 74 St during days of renovations at 61 Street

So there is a snapshot of the design of the stations on the Queens community board 3 Twitter, the (7) will receive the usual design used in previous renovations on other subway lines as expected, May 13th 2023 has been the start date of this project, 82nd Street Jackson Heights and 111 Street will be closed on the Manhattan bound platform first, also it’s been confirmed that the <7> express service will be suspended from 74th street to Queensboro plaza during station work at 61 Street

16 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

But why not just suspend the <7> in its entirety at that point? What are you saving by running it from 74th St to Main St, 3 minutes?

Yeah, but I think it’s to avoid crowds at junction Blvd, but still express service will be pretty much useless at that point as it’ll only skip 2 stops, there is also a plan to build temporary platforms at 46, 40 and 33 street stations, I’m not sure why this is the case, we’ll get more info once the project begins

9 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

Yeah, but I think it’s to avoid crowds at junction Blvd, but still express service will be pretty much useless at that point as it’ll only skip 2 stops, there is also a plan to build temporary platforms at 46, 40 and 33 street stations, I’m not sure why this is the case, we’ll get more info once the project begins

I think it’s because of the switch configuration at Flushing Main St and the interlocking at Mets Willets Point. There is a capacity constraint of only 25-27 trains per hour on the local tracks in the north section of the (7) line. If they do all-local service, then you can only run 25-27 trains per hour on the whole line, but if there is “express” service, then you can run 29-30 TPH.

in my opinion the all local service makes more sense, and they should do all the Manhattan bound platforms simultaneously- 111 St, 103 St, 90 St, 82 St, 69 St, and 52 St in one go. Then switch to flushing bound, instead of staggering it. If ridership is the issue; then do what the MTA did in Astoria- alternate station closures. Do 111 St, 82 St, 69 St, and 52 St then do 103 St, 90 St, and 61 St. Each closure should take 8 months (similar to how Astoria’s timeline was done). A

Edited by darkstar8983

On 4/11/2023 at 7:27 AM, darkstar8983 said:

I think it’s because of the switch configuration at Flushing Main St and the interlocking at Mets Willets Point. There is a capacity constraint of only 25-27 trains per hour on the local tracks in the north section of the (7) line. If they do all-local service, then you can only run 25-27 trains per hour on the whole line, but if there is “express” service, then you can run 29-30 TPH.

in my opinion the all local service makes more sense, and they should do all the Manhattan bound platforms simultaneously- 111 St, 103 St, 90 St, 82 St, 69 St, and 52 St in one go. Then switch to flushing bound, instead of staggering it. If ridership is the issue; then do what the MTA did in Astoria- alternate station closures. Do 111 St, 82 St, 69 St, and 52 St then do 103 St, 90 St, and 61 St. Each closure should take 8 months (similar to how Astoria’s timeline was done). A

People can transfer at 74th street for (E)(F)(M)(R) service, MTA will run more trains during the project, I’m sure (7) line riders wouldn’t mind such service pattern, renovations have to happen to repair defects, the stations are decaying, also 90th Street wasn’t included in the project

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

People can transfer at 74th street for (E)(F)(M)(R) service, MTA will run more trains during the project, I’m sure (7) line riders wouldn’t mind such service pattern, renovations have to happen to repair defects, the stations are decaying, also 90th Street wasn’t included in the project

Actually running the same service frequency all on local service would require more crews during rush hours / shorter breaks / and more trains on the road, reducing the rush hour spare factor. This will likely be written into the new pick, which is why I think I saw the express service will be ended around late June (on time for summer pick). Also remember that there will be reduced (E)(F)(M) service from May to November due to 63 St track reconstruction.  Queens is in for hell this year (Skip-Stop Express cut back to Crescent St, the Queens Blvd mess, now the flushing line, and Astoria is starting up its weekday (W) train GOs that reroute trains to 96 St, and closing one direction of (N) service (I think track replacement on the Astoria-bound local track))

Edited by darkstar8983

Planned - Express to Local

Jamaica Center-bound (E) runs local in Queens

May 12 - 14, Nights, beginning at 10 PM

No (E) service at Court Sq-23 St and Queens Plaza at this time.

What's happening?

We're modernizing signals on the Queens Blvd Line

There seems to be no mention of (E) running along 63rd Street that time. Is the (E) going to remain on 53rd Street but bypass those two stops?

With this weekend for the (Q) , the weekend after the 16th, on the 22nd and 23rd: the Brighton line will still have its Shuttle route between Coney Island and Prospect Park. However, the trains from 96 St will also be a Shuttle to and from Midtown-57 St. 

It would seem that it is impossible for them to turn the Q at Atlantic on F3.

While I don’t see the GO paperwork in the system yet, it looks like the interlocking will be locked in place southbound.

D will be directed over the bridge and through the bypass and express to 36th, while the N is using the tunnel and running local.

turning the Q at Whitehall is just… no… please sweet merciful GOD no… the interlocking there is already problematic given how it operates with two lines … with three lines, I don’t want to be anywhere near it.

the other logical location would be TSQ or 34, like what they did with the 63rd street shuttle in 1999… which leads me to believe there is another GO shutting down the Broadway Express tracks.

10 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

It would seem that it is impossible for them to turn the Q at Atlantic on F3.

While I don’t see the GO paperwork in the system yet, it looks like the interlocking will be locked in place southbound.

D will be directed over the bridge and through the bypass and express to 36th, while the N is using the tunnel and running local.

turning the Q at Whitehall is just… no… please sweet merciful GOD no… the interlocking there is already problematic given how it operates with two lines … with three lines, I don’t want to be anywhere near it.

the other logical location would be TSQ or 34, like what they did with the 63rd street shuttle in 1999… which leads me to believe there is another GO shutting down the Broadway Express tracks.

Whitehall Street is a really annoying terminal from my experience. Since there's only 1 center track, if you're on a (W) train that happens to be close behind another, you might have to wait a bit which then backs up (R) as well. Also with the current way the signaling is set up, the (R) also often seems to wait in Montague for the (W) to leave even though it's pulling in on a completely different track.

I know the MTA won't do this unless neccessary, but I think they should consider making City Hall the (W) terminal as it'd have higher capacity and would just lead to fewer problems. A lot of de-interlining plans call for the elimination of the (W), but I don't think we're at a point where ridership would demand a maximally de-interlined BMT.

• 2 weeks later...