'2' & '5' subway Bronx ridership demands

RollOver

The title of the thread says it. Now to start off, I would like to be talking about the IRT White Plains Road Line. Those of you who know and/or ride and/or operate/conduct the (2)(5) in the Bronx frequently/regularly, I am willing to know why the (5) operates to/from Nereid Avenue-238th Street in the peak direction at rush hour. Yes I know its because East 180th Street/Unionport Yard don't have enough room for all the R142 trains assigned to the (5) but is it also to serve those between East 180th and 238th Streets who want Lexington Avenue service during the peak? Aren't ridership meriting that?

I personally feel that all (5) service should be heading to/from Dyre Av during rush hour. Ridership at the stations between Dyre Av and East 180th is growing and it's reaching a point where current service won't handle the demands. The (2) can certainly handle the Wakefield-East 180th stops without the need for Nereid Avenue bound (5) trains.

There's even a (5) that starts at 125th during the AM rush. It starts... somewhere... stands on "M" track north of 167 (at least it stood there whenever I passed by) on the (4) then deadheads to 125...

Its a Put In out of 239 Yard the thing is you can get sent anywhere due to the Needs of the service...

I was Just Randomly lookin at the 239 Street Yard on Google Earth And Noticed that There seems to be a Redundant Loop Track That Runs Completely Around the 11 or 12 Tracks Used to store the 5;s. Its Can Only be accessed from the Northernmost Track of the 3 into the Yard. So im assumin the 5's uses this same track to get in and out of the storage tracks, While the other 2 tracks continue on for the 2's Yard....So While We all can agree that The 5 IS NOT needed all day along WPR ...Technically speaking 5's could use this loop Track and thus run to Dyre AND Nereid Ave All day...Maybe like the A To Lefferts and Far Rock...I Frequent The 225 St Stop about Once a week cuz my Sister Lives on 227/Bronxwood..And maybe the 2 Could use this For Congestion relief at 241..But it would be Kinda nice to have both lines all day...This is just a Random Observation I made And Im well aware of the Logistics that would probably be needed to make it possible...Any Thoughts,Comments....

What do they do now on rush hours for the ones that go there? (Do any return, or are they all one way and lay up?)

I guess just having a loop will speed up the operation a bit, in not having to change ends. But it still a relay that needs to have the customers all removed, and also likely a crew change anyway, and this can still get in the way of (2) service, so I don't think it would be useful at all.

First of all, PROPER USE OF THE CAPITAL LETTERS! No Need For Capital Letters At The Beginning Of Every Word!

If you're trying to help, don't do the same thing he is doing. Just simply say, don't capitalize the start of ever word. The method you chose was obnoxious.

Secondly to the topic, it's probably not all day due to the less ridership during the off-hours?

No, the loop will not be used for revenue service, it's as stated above to switch motors around. Most of the time there's non-revenue equipment stored on the track. No, the (5) does not need to go up WPR all day, it helps out during the peak and that's exactly what it's supposed to do, even out ridership and prevent rush hour crowding at E180. Dyre does not need more rush hour service either, in fact that's one of the few places in the IRT you can find a seat at the first gap station following a terminal in rush hour (E180 M track). There won't be many, and trains leave E180 full, but often in the first two cars there are a smatering of seats, especially closer to the end of express service. Part of the reason peak (5) service ends so early is that the commute is long from that area of the City (not as drastic of Rock Park (A) but similar) so most of midtown/lower Manhattan commuters find themselves on trains during the 7am hour and it really drops off after 830. In comparison, service doesn't begin to drop off on the (6) until after 930, if you include the 138th short turns (9 if you dont).

Would (5) trains be more full from E 180 off peak if it were express longer during the day? The (2) and (5) would leave E 180 St at the same time, every 8 minutes. The (2) would be less crowded at stops like Simpson Street (assuming enough people get off and switch to the (5).

To me, it would cause more headaches at the local stops since the (2) is very prone to bunching.

You got Westchester / Pelham Yard to help 2 & 5 line . 2 & 5 line can borrow R142A 6 line. How many time did 2 line use Westchester / Pelham Yard R142A of the 6 line for borrow. while Westchester Yard have 460 R142A as 2 line can borrow 6 R142A.

I don't understand your english. That yard can help the (5).

Archived