Superstorm Sandy: After the Storm: NYC Bus Service

Threxx

But MTA could have prorated you a rebate of your pass if you gave them a chance and I didnt say it was a weekly pass if you reread what I wrote.

Actually, when Irene passed, they didn't give any type of refund. We don't know what the story is this time.

Eh, whatever. He go his money back from the credit card company, and it was the same amount he would've gotten back from the MTA. Now it's up to the credit card company to get their money back.

I heard a while back that the MTA use jetfuel to power their buses. I don't know if that's true or not.

So would the buses end up flying like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ZklI4D5Ko

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um, no.

LOL

Of course they use jet fuel. They practice take offs and landings at Floyd Bennett Field.

He's not THAT far off. The non-CNG fleet is supposed to use #2 Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel, but it can also use #1 Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (more commonly known as jet fuel, it's more of a diesel-kerosene or diesel-paraffin mix). On occasion, the MTA has purchased #1 Diesel instead of #2 Diesel -- and the former costs a lot more -- so that makes it to the papers and they print stories about how the buses are running on jet fuel.

He's not THAT far off. The non-CNG fleet is supposed to use #2 Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel, but it can also use #1 Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (more commonly known as jet fuel, it's more of a diesel-kerosene or diesel-paraffin mix). On occasion, the MTA has purchased #1 Diesel instead of #2 Diesel -- and the former costs a lot more -- so that makes it to the papers and they print stories about how the buses are running on jet fuel.

Too bad they can't run on water..........

what? a man can only dream........ shm!

But MTA could have prorated you a rebate of your pass if you gave them a chance and I didnt say it was a weekly pass if you reread what I wrote.

Some people will never get its not what you say, its how you say it!

Uh no... I've already paid in advance and I am not waiting months to get my money back while they sit there and collect interest on the money they've already received from me and thousands of other customers as well. There is also a time limit in which you must put in disputes so I cannot just sit back and wait or I wouldn't have been able to even file a dispute.

I know it sounds cold hearted, but I'm sorry... This agency has a track record of screwing over customers (and not just during emergency situations either) and I refuse to be one of them. The same thing was said during Irene... Give them a chance to clean up and those who did got nothing but a "we're not refunding you [anything]". As far as I'm concerned if they were morally sound, I wouldn't mind waiting, but they're not. Now let's see what they say this time (if anything)...

In any event a. it isn't your money and b. you're up in Canada, so of course you can sit back and pass judgment and try to tell me and other people in the same situation how we should feel or how we should or shouldn't proceed.

VG8 while you have a right to be upset about not getting a refund on lost services, as you not the only customer/ You could have waited another week or two before screaming. So IMO dont try to sound sellfish right now. After the storm clean up, put your agencies in helping to introduce new bills with State Sen. Golden and others on new refund/credit rules on weekly/monthly metrocard refunds next time the (MTA) shuts down service due to storms/natural disaters.

If the (MTA) had a track record of doing right by passengers, I most certainly would've waited, but they don't. There are several examples of them doing this very same thing... Yeah let's give them time to clean up... The same thing with Irene... Let's give them time to clean up... The (MTA) didn't even bring up the topic of a refund or anything of the sort until they were put on the spot to do so and then finally they said no refund, and here they've done the exact same thing. They've remained tight lipped on the issue. The real question is why do they have to be pressed in the first place to even make any sort of statement? They should already have a policy in place for these circumstances. NJTransit has already made a statement regarding refunds/extended time on tickets and New Jersey got the hit the worst since so what's the (MTA) 's excuse??

From the MTA Service Advisory as of 18:54 EST:

SI Express buses detoured due to closure of the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel.

Detours are as follows:

NYC-bound: via Verranzano Bridge(Do not enter HOV Lane) into the Gowanus to 3 Av Exit, stay on 3 Av, right on 60 St, left on 4 Av, left on Flatbus Av into the Manhattan Bridge,

NYC-bound: X3, X4, X8, X11, X15, X17A and X19: downtown express buses enter Manhattan Bridge, stay to left on Bridge, continue on Canal St, left on Broadway and drop customers off in regular bus stop routes.

NYC-bound: X1, X7, X9, X10, X10, X12, X14 and X17C, combo express buses enter Manhattan Bridge, stay to left on Bridge, left on Broadway and drop customers off in regular bus stop routes, right on Battery Pl, right on Greenwich St and regular route.

NYC-bound: X2, X5, X31 and X42 uptown express buses enter Manhattan Bridge, stay left on bridge, right on Bowery into 3 Av, left on 23 St and regular route.

I can confirm that this is correct as a passenger on the x17c.

Also for the x17c, x17a and x19 they should run the buses through the Holland Tunnel now that is open to buses only.

Is it just called jet fuel, or is it actually the same fuel that goes into an airplane? That seems hard for me to believe lol!

Did he say they use jet fuel? Sometimes you can get a good laugh by visting this website LOL.

Anyways if you catch a Q35 on time from Rockaway Park, isn't it faster to take the Q35 to the 2,5 train to get to Manhattan rather than taking the S or A and have to sit on the train as it has to travel through Queens and Brooklyn?

And lastly I remember a long time ago when I used to see Orion V's on the Q88 Q17 and even Q5 and Q85. They would run daily on those routes. If only I can see a NG on the Q88 or a Orion VII OG on the Q5 and Q85.

Is it just called jet fuel, or is it actually the same fuel that goes into an airplane? That seems hard for me to believe lol!

Well, airplanes tend to use what's called Jet-A I believe, but they're both very similar types of fuel. Generally diesel engines can take both Jet-A and Diesel #1 ("Jet Fuel"), not sure if it works the other way and jet engines can run on Diesel #1 though.

Did he say they use jet fuel? Sometimes you can get a good laugh by visting this website LOL.

I guess you missed my post on this...

That actually caused a controversy a few years ago because only one refinery made that kind of fuel and it had to be trucked in from Pennsylvania (since it cannot be delivered by pipeline). The question is how close it was to actual jet fuel. Today, the MTA uses #2 ULSD.

Well, airplanes tend to use what's called Jet-A I believe, but they're both very similar types of fuel. Generally diesel engines can take both Jet-A and Diesel #1 ("Jet Fuel"), not sure if it works the other way and jet engines can run on Diesel #1 though.

I guess I'll be taking my Cessna down to the CNG fuel station at JFK now.

Oh wait...

Some cars can actually turn into boats and drive on water I may not be shocked if some mad scientist adds that same tech to buses which would be awesome for SI LOL. However I do think it will be very unlikely. Actually buses that can run on water DO IN FACT EXIST!!!! http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travelblogs/1050/47688/The+Wonder+Bus,+Dubai?destId=361166

Damn you you killed the jet fuel joke with facts!!!! I am not surprised though.

update: OHH SHIT BUSES THAT RUN ON WATER DO EXIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In dubai though. Who knew?

You know what is hilarious looks like your dream is actually a reality LOL those amphibious buses actually do exist!!!!!! Here is the kicker the cost of them is so shockingly low if MTA ordered enough of em they can replace the SI ferry. Comical and unrealistic yes I know.

Some cars can actually turn into boats and drive on water I may not be shocked if some mad scientist adds that same tech to buses which would be awesome for SI LOL. However I do think it will be very unlikely. Actually buses that can run on water DO IN FACT EXIST!!!! http://www.lonelypla...i?destId=361166

Damn you you killed the jet fuel joke with facts!!!! I am not surprised though.

update: OHH SHIT BUSES THAT RUN ON WATER DO EXIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In dubai though. Who knew?

You know what is hilarious looks like your dream is actually a reality LOL those amphibious buses actually do exist!!!!!! Here is the kicker the cost of them is so shockingly low if MTA ordered enough of em they can replace the SI ferry. Comical and unrealistic yes I know.

O_o

well shit, ya learn something new every day........ lol

O_o

well shit, ya learn something new every day........ lol

LOL at your reaction I was expecting something more dramatic but o well. The kicker is that if MTA ran these beasts on SI the cost of these things vs the ferry is much lower to operate so by having buses run on water to Manhattan from SI NYC can eliminate the costly SI ferry and save money to boot. Heck if greyhound had em they can go from LI directly to Boston!!!!!!!!!! I know that the MTA will never even think of this idea heck nobody in the US would even think of the idea of running bus service over the water.

That explains the spoiler then.

Lol, I never got over that spoiler. I guess it was covering up some mechanical stuff up there, but as far as I'm concerned that was just a plain pimped-out bus...all it needed was some rims cause after all, they spin!!

From the MTA Service Advisory as of 18:54 EST:

SI Express buses detoured due to closure of the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel.

Detours are as follows:

NYC-bound: via Verranzano Bridge(Do not enter HOV Lane) into the Gowanus to 3 Av Exit, stay on 3 Av, right on 60 St, left on 4 Av, left on Flatbus Av into the Manhattan Bridge,

NYC-bound: X3, X4, X8, X11, X15, X17A and X19: downtown express buses enter Manhattan Bridge, stay to left on Bridge, continue on Canal St, left on Broadway and drop customers off in regular bus stop routes.

NYC-bound: X1, X7, X9, X10, X10, X12, X14 and X17C, combo express buses enter Manhattan Bridge, stay to left on Bridge, left on Broadway and drop customers off in regular bus stop routes, right on Battery Pl, right on Greenwich St and regular route.

NYC-bound: X2, X5, X31 and X42 uptown express buses enter Manhattan Bridge, stay left on bridge, right on Bowery into 3 Av, left on 23 St and regular route.

I can confirm that this is correct as a passenger on the x17c.

Also for the x17c, x17a and x19 they should run the buses through the Holland Tunnel now that is open to buses only.

They should have done it a long time ago before the hurricane. Or at least for rush hr only.

This isn't listed on the MTA website, but S89 buses are terminating at Walker Street (coming from the south), because there's no HBLR service (I don't know why they couldn't just reroute it so it connects with one of the NJT bus routes, or at least inform passengers that they can reach the #81/120 from 34th Street). I was wondering why there were so few people on the bus (Usually it's maybe 3/4 of a seated load, but today there were only like 7 people on board)

I wonder if there's a sign for any S89 short-turn (not necessarily to Walker Street, but in general).

On a side note, the S46 was a lot less crowded than usual for some reason.....

i started riding this service,,,,the Barclay Atlantic av,,stopped today...spoke to the Manhattan Road Personnel,,,and got the routings for Hewes st,,,and Jay St,,,

does anyone know the exact routing of the Barclays section ..only???

the rest i now have..up to date to todays date

steve\\

fdny

North...

From Flatbush/Atlantic, straight up Flatbush to the Manny B > Bowery/3 Av > drop off at 3 Av/53 St

South...

From Drop off point, 54 (or 57 St) > Lex Av > 23 St > 3 Av/Bowery > Manny B > down Flatbush to Atlantic

Archived