New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

2 hours ago, FlxMtroD said:

107 (NJT needs to get with PA for gate assignment change just to have artics run throughout the day and weekends. Currently, only a few inbound artics into NYC and outbound fro the PABT during rush hour)

I do not know why NJT continues to underestimate/shortchange the #107 in terms of capacity per trip... You hate the NABI's on the #171, but I've grown quite irritated with 40-footers (and the f***ed up ones at that) on the #107... While they're used interchangeably, the #37 is still secondary to the #107 - but yet they run 40'-ers on the #107 as if demand is equivalent to the #37 or something.... Quite maddening....

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was going on along rt. 46 yesterday afternoon? I took the #198 (4:33 trip out of Willowbrook, if it matters...and I'm glad it beat the preceding #197 that was supposed to come at 4:30, because there's no way all those people were getting on an inbound #197 at that time of day) after getting off the #705 at Willowbrook..... I actually saw the preceding 4:03 #198 trip back to NY when I was on said #705, but there was no way I could've caught it.... That bus left Willowbrook with about 10 people on it... smh...

Anyway, the normal route back to NY is to take rt. 46 to rt. 3 before hitting 495....

• Instead, we ended up taking I-80... to rt. 19... to the GSP... to get to rt. 3....

The crazy part is, after doing all that, even given the (normal) traffic jams at/on 495 to the tunnel approach, we were only 11 mins. late... We were flying on I-80; I was surprised to see it that empty, to be honest...

On 11/23/2023 at 3:11 PM, B35 via Church said:

By transit? Because I can just simply drive there (and end up paying those exorbitant parking fees)....

If you mean by transit, I would either take *whatever* route to Union City & xfer to the #85, or the #320 option (to the #85)... Depends on what mood I'm in (as with most things).... One thing I'm not ever doing again though is the #160 to the #703.

Not sure whatever you may be trying to get at by asking me this, but I'm telling you flat out that I would not take that #355... And it's not a matter of cost/affordability for me either, it's a matter of principle, like I said earlier..... Crazy that I can go significantly deeper into NJ on NJT from NYC than the Meadowlands for less.....

That's exactly how I look at it, and why I never bothered to fan the 355 ever since it's inception.

The one time I went to American Dream to get some footage of the routes over there a while after it opened, I got there with the 160. I just walked from MetLife over to the mall. Round trip on the thing was still cheaper than the one way 355 fare SMH. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The one time I went to American Dream to get some footage of the routes over there a while after it opened, I got there with the 160. I just walked from MetLife over to the mall. Round trip on the thing was still cheaper than the one way 355 fare SMH. 

It also sucks that NJT/American Dream promised fulltime Meadowlands Rail-Line service when the mall fully opened, and that STILL aint happened lol.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

It also sucks that NJT/American Dream promised fulltime Meadowlands Rail-Line service when the mall fully opened, and that STILL aint happened lol.

You guys just don't know how bad things are on the rail side of NJT

10 hours ago, go25 said:

Honestly, for the longest time I was under the impression that the Meadowlands line was able to be accessed from Manhattan without having to reverse move. I didn't notice I was wrong until I actually looked at the track map and realized. What person thought this was a good idea???

Trust me on that one. There's many reasons why there's no daily Meadowlands rail service, one being not having sufficient rolling stock. NJT rail ops is still running equipment from the 70s (GP40s and Arrows) that are not working properly with the PTC/ACSES systems, the majority of the cars (Comets) that are in the MMC are being stripped of usable parts because no one makes them anymore, the Multilevel replacement for the Arrows have been pushed back to at some point in 2024 and Transit not having money for parts is pretty much sums it all up.  

11 hours ago, go25 said:

NJT rail ops is still running equipment from the 70s (GP40s and Arrows) that are not working properly with the PTC/ACSES systems

I always found the pairing of the GP40s with Comet Vs tacky.  And as far as all this computer stuff with PTC and ACSES systems:  It’s the same thing I say about using software updates (with the ticket scanners) and buses in the same sentence:

why?

1 hour ago, 46Dover said:

I always found the pairing of the GP40s with Comet Vs tacky.  And as far as all this computer stuff with PTC and ACSES systems:  It’s the same thing I say about using software updates (with the ticket scanners) and buses in the same sentence:

why?

That's where you're wrong, my friend. Two different systems (Alstom with NJT and Siemens with Amtrak) in certain areas have "bleed over" problems. And also with the GP40 and Arrows, you can only do so many upgrades to those equipment and the Speed Enforcement System (SES a.k.a PTC) in them can either work or not whenever it chooses. I had the pleasure one day of running an Arrow consist on the Corridor and I couldn't go past 57 MPH because of the those systems going haywire and giving you unwanted penalties to deal/recover from.

On 11/26/2023 at 11:28 PM, go25 said:

I recommended that NJT take Stadler KISS battery units for the Meadowlands line for the 2026 FIFA World Cup and I was told that they would never take units that would be confined to the Hoboken Division. My counterpoint was that these trains with temporary perimeter seating would be perfect for moving tons of passengers on an MU platform to major events. They could change to normal seating after the event. The FIFA event could be used to upgrade a number of things quickly if a plan was in place to do so. Look at how LA is using the Olympics to upgrade their transit system.

9 hours ago, go25 said:

That's where you're wrong, my friend. Two different systems (Alstom with NJT and Siemens with Amtrak) in certain areas have "bleed over" problems. And also with the GP40 and Arrows, you can only do so many upgrades to those equipment and the Speed Enforcement System (SES a.k.a PTC) in them can either work or not whenever it chooses. I had the pleasure one day of running an Arrow consist on the Corridor and I couldn't go past 57 MPH because of the those systems going haywire and giving you unwanted penalties to deal/recover from.

But in their defense, that's across the united states that those problems are. I know the MBTA locomotives have ACSES/PTC added on in such a way that you have to keep looking up to look at the cab signals because there was no other place to put them.

31 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

But in their defense, that's across the united states that those problems are. I know the MBTA locomotives have ACSES/PTC added on in such a way that you have to keep looking up to look at the cab signals because there was no other place to put them.

Transit half assed their entire PTC system, it's amazing that it can work sometimes.

4 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

I was on a former coach usa bus (6026) and there’s no ticket/card reader on it… are they on any of the former coach buses? Why would they announce tap to pay if they won’t even have readers on all the buses?

6026? I could of sworn I’ve seen it on a Coach contract a few weeks ago

23 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

I was on a former coach usa bus (6026) and there’s no ticket/card reader on it… are they on any of the former coach buses? Why would they announce tap to pay if they won’t even have readers on all the buses?

I ride Suburban Transit's buses in for the Middlesex county routes.  None of the buses have tap and pay at the moment and I have not heard of any plans for adding the system to those buses.