New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

On 12/3/2023 at 5:04 PM, MNR Beacon Line said:

I was on a former coach usa bus (6026) and there’s no ticket/card reader on it… are they on any of the former coach buses? Why would they announce tap to pay if they won’t even have readers on all the buses?

A lot of the decamp buses in egg harbor don’t even have the readers and the ones that do don’t even have work. Njt is a joke and will always be a joke. When someone comes on wanting to pay debit i let them ride free because they were false advertised.  

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, go25 said:

So it finally happened, an artic on the 24. 20810 was on the mentioned route earlier today. Just imagine if ONE Bus had some artics on that route when it still operated it lol

Since transit took over these private  lines  they now seeing buses that never ran along the route which if you told me 10 years ago i wouldnt believed you....Other day took 5296 on the 8 bergen ave....lol 

On 11/20/2023 at 7:54 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

Probably should have asked this a while back but thinking about it with around 800 artics planned for the next 5 yrs what other routes need artics? Predictions for the converted fleet will be below (with * being routes that normally mostly use artics on a consistent basis as reference):

13*

39*

70*

119*

126*

153*

156*

159*

There are a few hours of the day where the 62 desperately needs artics, or simply more runs.

It makes no sense that the 62 runs on a pretty even schedule when there are major shift changes at the airport.

13 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

A lot of the decamp buses in egg harbor don’t even have the readers and the ones that do don’t even have work. Njt is a joke and will always be a joke. When someone comes on wanting to pay debit i let them ride free because they were false advertised.  

I’ve always shown my mobile ticket to the operator and always will, just too used to it (and no I don’t take a picture and fake it)

NJT needs to come up with a better way of doing fare payments. There is no reason the driver has to be collecting tickets, especially at Port Authority. I can’t even begin to remember how many times I’ve left PABT late because all I’m doing is taking tickets or helping someone to buy one.

On 12/4/2023 at 4:16 PM, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

The 84P is a ONEBus route so the unit in question is not an ex Coach USA bus. It looks like the tap and go readers are not on the contracted routes as of yet.

I honestly had no idea, unlike the former academy routes the 84P actually shows up.

I feel stupid now but tbf, NJ Transit needs to make it clearer which routes have it and which don’t.

1 hour ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

I honestly had no idea, unlike the former academy routes the 84P actually shows up.

I feel stupid now but tbf, NJ Transit needs to make it clearer which routes have it and which don’t.

you are lucky, the 84 and its variant the 84P used to have a way better schedule under NJT, now it sucks

Edited by NJTE

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

NJT needs to come up with a better way of doing fare payments. There is no reason the driver has to be collecting tickets, especially at Port Authority. I can’t even begin to remember how many times I’ve left PABT late because all I’m doing is taking tickets or helping someone to buy one.

I've seen drivers pick up passengers a few minutes early so they have time to collect tickets or see those bought with the mobile app. Ticket collection is a hell of a lot faster than collecting cash from people that don't have it ready or don't know how much the zone fare is until they board.

On 12/5/2023 at 1:06 AM, go25 said:

So it finally happened, an artic on the 24. 20810 was on the mentioned route earlier today. Just imagine if ONE Bus had some artics on that route when it still operated it lol

No surprise there. With Hilton having some runs of route 24, some driver(s) from that garage will take an artic on that line. Don't be surprised if you see more artics on that line once the new artics come in from New Flyer in a year or two

Edited by FlxMtroD

1 hour ago, FlxMtroD said:

No surprise there. With Hilton having some runs of route 24, some driver(s) from that garage will take an artic on that line. Don't be surprised if you see more artics on that line once the new artics come in from New Flyer in a year or two

This was supposedly the second time it happened. I remember someone said one was reportedly spotted on the 24 on Thanksgiving.

29 minutes ago, A Former New Yorker said:

Is there a way to look up vehicle numbers on Mybusnow. PTV results are super limited for some reason 

Nj transit limited what you can see with the most recent update due to safety concerns brought up by drivers on the Hilton Lines. Foamers, the way they act out went to far and the driver got wiff of the tracking site and brought it to the unions attention. It became a problem when the XE40 went there. 

All it takes is one to ruin it all. What you see on the tracking site is the end result. Hopefully it came come back fully. 

3 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Nj transit limited what you can see with the most recent update due to safety concerns brought up by drivers on the Hilton Lines. Foamers, the way they act out went to far and the driver got wiff of the tracking site and brought it to the unions attention. It became a problem when the XE40 went there. 

All it takes is one to ruin it all. What you see on the tracking site is the end result. Hopefully it came come back fully. 

*curses in tagalog* damn idiots screwing it up for the rest of us

4 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Good job, foamers...

5 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

and the people who use it for good use have to suffer because of it...

3 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

It was handy for me because i would know what bus I would have before I start work. Whatever bus went out on 5/315 would be my bus for 39/315.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Or when you broke down and could see how far away the replacement bus was or what type you were getting. 

Usually used it to track buses at CMF or that aren't tracking. Plus was handy when there were buses from Academy and Coach USA being tracked on the data feed.

On 12/12/2023 at 9:04 AM, A Former New Yorker said:

Is there a way to look up vehicle numbers on Mybusnow. PTV results are super limited for some reason 

It's because the API was updated, so they'd have to update accordingly. A lot of other trackers had issues when the update for MyBus first happened, and I'm not too thrilled with the desktop site.

PTV is getting back into the swing of things, buses are slowly starting to show up again.

Looks like 21265 (ex-Suburban) was repainted into NJT colors but with a twist - it has a black back, but only the center panel. The rest of the rear is white. Looks like it may have been from a retired unit (19137 or 16003 comes to mind) since there's only one vent up by the amber lights when there's usually two.

Black back, white back, and now we have partial black back. Will we eventually see a black back with white center? :lol:

4 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

Looks like 21265 (ex-Suburban) was repainted into NJT colors but with a twist - it has a black back, but only the center panel. The rest of the rear is white. Looks like it may have been from a retired unit (19137 or 16003 comes to mind) since there's only one vent up by the amber lights when there's usually two.

Black back, white back, and now we have partial black back. Will we eventually see a black back with white center? :lol:

Most likely from 19137. Washington Twp has been parting out 16003 in house for their 18s.

12 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

7 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Most likely from 19137. Washington Twp has been parting out 16003 in house for their 18s.

I rushed out of my bus to grab a shot of it in Wayne and one of the mechanics shot me a look 😆.  I had to explain it to him and he looked like he had an epiphany of sorts