It's official: South Ferry Loop Platform reopening - No timeline yet, however.

itmaybeokay

I took it today and I got off 5th car of (1) I boarded at 10:21, car #1876.

When C/O hold train at Chambers St and Rector St, tourists are running all the way past conductor and five car.

After I got off (1) at South Ferry @ 14:53, I check to see if any tourists didn't listen to female C/O's announcement, and everyone on our train listened.

Next, I check the passegeway to (R) train, which was connected to new South Ferry building.

Even the "Attention! South Ferry Passengers" notice are back on (1) train."

After that, I quickly went to check another (1) train, there was two people in last five cars.

Old South Ferry exit station is now cross to M15 SBS Loop Station.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took it today and I got off 5th car of (1) I boarded at 10:21, car #1876.

When C/O hold train at Chambers St and Rector St, tourists are running all the way past conductor and five car.

After I got off (1) at South Ferry @ 14:53, I check to see if any tourists didn't listen to female C/O's announcement, and everyone on our train listened.

Next, I check the passegeway to (R) train, which was connected to new South Ferry building.

Even the "Attention! South Ferry Passengers" notice are back on (1) train."

After that, I quickly went to check another (1) train, there was two people in last five cars.

Old South Ferry exit station is now cross to M15 SBS Loop Station.

Guess D-Day was'nt as bad as I've thought. I expected total chaos, lol. Good to see MTA Subways got it going relatively smoothly according to your report.

Define 'treating buses/trains like people'. If this is for fiction purposes, (see the angry (D) train video on Youtube) then I fail to see why this is a problem.

Also, define what having your life revolve around trains/buses is. If you go out transit fanning frequently, set transit photos as your wallpaper, develop fictional municipalities with transit systems in it and spend a lot of time pondering the details about that, that's, again, not a problem - at least, not to any sane, rational person - but if you told your boyfriend/girlfriend, "Oh, sorry honey, the R188s debut on the (7) today, I can't take you out to the movies" or if you jizz your pants if you see an R160 on the (C), then you my friend need help, AND QUICKLY!!!

BTW, you look down on foamers when, in your signature, you proclaim yourself to be one...

Frankly I agree with both Threxx and Burrstone. Being a foamer isn't necessarily a bad thing if you don't do illegal shit or the things I described above, but at the same time a lot of people use that as a derogatory term for anyone who is even 0.000001% more dedicated to the hobby, and that makes you ignorant.

Calling other people blind doesn't make you see.

1. There are people who will actually talk to (toy and real) buses and trains like they are people. It's not for jokes/fiction, that's for sure, and I'm not in the mood to piss people off so I'm not gonna post any videos or anything like that.

2. These kids got no life outside of foaming. Most have little/no friends, many will skip school to go foaming, and focus on foaming all day all night. Eat, Sleep, Transit-that's how it is. And as for what I put in bold, yes that's how it is if they have a girlfriend.

3. That's just a joke lol.

4. There's a bunch that does illegal shit unfortunately. This was especially big when the R32-44s were being retired, we had kids breaking windows to steal rollsigns, prying builder plates off the cars with screwdrivers, breaking into cabs for pictures, and a ton of other ridiculous shit.

Again, there is a big difference between a foamer and regular rail/busfan. People (such as transit workers and cops) who just call all of us in general foamers don't know what they're talking about, not gonna say they're ignorant because they're not involved in anything we do.

4. There's a bunch that does illegal shit unfortunately. This was especially big when the R32-44s were being retired, we had kids breaking windows to steal rollsigns, prying builder plates off the cars with screwdrivers, breaking into cabs for pictures, and a ton of other ridiculous shit.

So I guess if people see South Ferry signs stolen they'll know why...  :lol:

1. Those are less foamers and more so mental patients, it seems. For comedy and fictional purposes its fine, but like with all things once you start passing off fiction as fact you're taking shit too far.

2. I've skipped school to go fanning before. Not that big of a deal if you don't do it often, or if its for a one time only deal. But transit isn't the only activity people take too far. I point you to the legions of girls screaming over people like bieber or one direction - they don't have much of a life either.

4. That's quite extreme. I don't understand the need to steal signs or break into cabs when you can just as easily take photos of them from outside/in a legal manner. I know one guy online who obtained a builder's plate by asking the agency for One off of a retired bus, and his wish was granted.

1. There are people who will actually talk to (toy and real) buses and trains like they are people. It's not for jokes/fiction, that's for sure, and I'm not in the mood to piss people off so I'm not gonna post any videos or anything like that.

2. These kids got no life outside of foaming. Most have little/no friends, many will skip school to go foaming, and focus on foaming all day all night. Eat, Sleep, Transit-that's how it is. And as for what I put in bold, yes that's how it is if they have a girlfriend.

3. That's just a joke lol.

Again, there is a big difference between a foamer and regular rail/busfan. People (such as transit workers and cops) who just call all of us in general foamers don't know what they're talking about, not gonna say they're ignorant because they're not involved in anything we do.

1. If you're talking about a certain video, we both know that he meant it as a joke and wasn't serious. Get over it.

2. 99% of transit enthusiasts:

a. Have a life

b. Fufill their obligations and wait for free time to railfan (i.e. school, work)

c. Have friends/family that they do spend time with

3. It doesn't make you look any better than the people you're criticizing.

4. Despite there being the few, again, the amount of people who do illegal things is extremely low. You're making it sound like it's the majority, when it's really not.

You choose to believe there's a difference, but there really isn't. You choose to try and apply the term to people you may not understand because they take the hobby more seriously, and that's more ignorant than any outsider looking in could be.

Guest MTA Bus

Well, I just left South Ferry about 15 minutes ago. The MTA did a good job repairing the station. For those of you that thought there would be a former fest, you were mistaken. Only like 6 railfans showed up. Actually, I'm happy that it wasn't a foamer fest, cause something happened that would have made every railfan freak out.

1. If you're talking about a certain video, we both know that he meant it as a joke and wasn't serious. Get over it.

2. 99% of transit enthusiasts:

a. Have a life

b. Fufill their obligations and wait for free time to railfan (i.e. school, work)

c. Have friends/family that they do spend time with

3. It doesn't make you look any better than the people you're criticizing.

4. Despite there being the few, again, the amount of people who do illegal things is extremely low. You're making it sound like it's the majority, when it's really not.

You choose to believe there's a difference, but there really isn't. You choose to try and apply the term to people you may not understand because they take the hobby more seriously, and that's more ignorant than any outsider looking in could be.

Can someone post that picture of Willy Wonka captioned "you must be new here"? I'm on my iPhone and can't. Either that, or you're just distorting the truth/lying just so you can demean me. IDGAF if you got a problem with me or if anyone else does, but don't use that grudge to distort the truth or change your opinions on shit just to give me shit. Most of that shit you said ain't true and you know it. Did I ever say anyone was the majority? No. And I know FOR A FACT that people on here who have clearly stated in the past that they don't like rabid foamers and even said some pretty harsh shit about them have changed their opinions ONLY after I say the same shit they do. I know plenty, you might think that's not the case but it is. People are using their grudges against me to piss me off and possibly get me to get off the forum and go crying home to momma, that ain't working. I'm damn proud of my hobby and enjoy my time on here, I may be getting tired of the shit I get from people but I'm not gonna be a baby and cry home to mommy. You guys can keep giving me shit and I still won't give a damn, byebye for now.

Enthusiast/railfan/busfan=Normal person interested in the hobby, knows the Transit system well, keeps calm and just does what they do, usually has a life outside of the hobby.

Foamer=Extreme railfan that may do some insane/illegal shit, example: treating trains/buses like people, stealing rollsigns or otherwise vandalizing Transit property, has to be there first whenever new buses/railcars come in or a new station opens, calls out what model bus/railcar is in front of them, etc and their lives revolve around trains/buses.

It's the foamers that make the railfans/busfans in general look bad. Not everyone is a foamer, and not everyone is the regular everyday railfan, but there is that bunch of foamers that really just makes all of us look bad to the TA, law enforcement, and people in general. It is a negative term because now train crews, cops, and so on will call all of us foamers, however I don't see it being so negative when being used towards the people that are actually true foamers.

Ok your right there, which is why when people label enthusiasts they see taking pictures as foamers I can understand why they get offended/pissed.

I often avoid taking pics becaause I'm afraid people will think I'm a foamer. :blush:

When I was deliver the C40LF's people used to take pics all the time, but that's because I don't think they'd be seeing a NYC transit bus in MN, WI, IN, OH, PA, etc.

Can someone post that picture of Willy Wonka captioned "you must be new here"? I'm on my iPhone and can't. Either that, or you're just distorting the truth/lying just so you can demean me. IDGAF if you got a problem with me or if anyone else does, but don't use that grudge to distort the truth or change your opinions on shit just to give me shit. Most of that shit you said ain't true and you know it. Did I ever say anyone was the majority? No. And I know FOR A FACT that people on here who have clearly stated in the past that they don't like rabid foamers and even said some pretty harsh shit about them have changed their opinions ONLY after I say the same shit they do. I know plenty, you might think that's not the case but it is. People are using their grudges against me to piss me off and possibly get me to get off the forum and go crying home to momma, that ain't working. I'm damn proud of my hobby and enjoy my time on here, I may be getting tired of the shit I get from people but I'm not gonna be a baby and cry home to mommy. You guys can keep giving me shit and I still won't give a damn, byebye for now.

People just want you to see reality... no one is trying to "make you go crying home to momma" or any of that bullshit. 

Since you're just shutting out all other arguments, I see no reason to continue this either...

People just want you to see reality... no one is trying to "make you go crying home to momma" or any of that bullshit. 

Since you're just shutting out all other arguments, I see no reason to continue this either...

Ahuh ahuh ahuh... so I am being targeted!

Yeah, I'm done with this damn arguing. I got a life actually :o

I thought this thread was about South Ferry reopening and yet all I see is this "who is a railfan and who is a foamer" shit.  I could care less, we are all in the same boat cause we are on a site dedicated to transit, whatever you decide to call yourself.  Now I want to see more reports of SF and how it was to navigate through the station, especially with the new connection to the (R).  I'll see it on Sunday when I go back to working on the (1).  That is all.

I thought this thread was about South Ferry reopening and yet all I see is this "who is a railfan and who is a foamer" shit.  I could care less, we are all in the same boat cause we are on a site dedicated to transit, whatever you decide to call yourself.  Now I want to see more reports of SF and how it was to navigate through the station, especially with the new connection to the (R).  I'll see it on Sunday when I go back to working on the (1).  That is all.

You got it, boss!

I was there after work since I was working at a Metro-PCS Store in the St. George area repairing light fixtures and stuff in the St. George area and took the ferry to the (1) since I figured I'd check it out since I had my camera on me. I originally thought there was an entrance inside the Staten Island Ferry Terminal next to the new shops opening but it was actually on the outside. Didn't see any railfans out when I was there, contrary to popular belief.

Navigating from the outside entrance next to the terminal is pretty simple. The gates are right outside of the M15 loop and you just swipe and walk downstairs. I didn't get to check out the passageway to the (R). Two cops (who were reminiscing the times they used this station) and a bunch of MTA employees were on the platform having a good time.

Gotta say, they spruced up the station quite nicely, new tiles and what appears to be new-ish or cleaned up gap fillers. Trains were in and out in 4 minutes. I'll probably use it just to see how my connection to the ferry goes as I use the (4) & (5) more often at Bowling Green and the time it takes for me to get on the ferry is extremely minimal (about 5 minutes wait time).

I agree. Can't put it any better then this.

We need to get back on track with the point of this thread.

Agreed.

As for me, I was there today, as I was in downtown for an internship interview, so I decided to check it out. There was a good amount of people from the TA, and they were very helpful, guiding commuters/tourists around and providing a calming presence. As I was walking into the loop, a (1) train pulled up at around the same time, and one of the TA staff on the platform high-fived the t/o - they seemed to having a good time, getting the memories back.

Like Cait Sith said, they spruced up the station pretty nicely. This was my first time ever going into the loop, and I was amazed by the Beaux-Arts mosaic tiling on the wall - especially the one tile which has a sailboat on it. It was really beautiful, and the IRT had a sense of style. it's unique, definitely. 

I let one train pass until I got on the next one, already there were the poor confused tourists around, whom TA personell helped immediately. As I pulled out, there some people getting their videos and pics already...well, whatever. I'll probably come back w/ my camera in a few months to get some pictures as well.

As for the transfer w/ the (R), it's pretty simple. It's almost the same as w/ the old transfer, except you turn right instead of going straight ahead, climb up a few steps, and voilà, the loop platform is there!

You got it, boss!

I was there after work since I was working at a Metro-PCS Store in the St. George area repairing light fixtures and stuff in the St. George area and took the ferry to the (1) since I figured I'd check it out since I had my camera on me. I originally thought there was an entrance inside the Staten Island Ferry Terminal next to the new shops opening but it was actually on the outside. Didn't see any railfans out when I was there, contrary to popular belief.

Navigating from the outside entrance next to the terminal is pretty simple. The gates are right outside of the M15 loop and you just swipe and walk downstairs. I didn't get to check out the passageway to the (R). Two cops (who were reminiscing the times they used this station) and a bunch of MTA employees were on the platform having a good time.

Gotta say, they spruced up the station quite nicely, new tiles and what appears to be new-ish or cleaned up gap fillers. Trains were in and out in 4 minutes. I'll probably use it just to see how my connection to the ferry goes as I use the (4) & (5) more often at Bowling Green and the time it takes for me to get on the ferry is extremely minimal (about 5 minutes wait time).

That's pretty cool.  I have a feeling that even though its a short station, this might be better for the (1) as a whole.  We'll have to see but this is good news.  When I went through there on Tuesday, it seemed like the station was the cleanest I'd ever seen it and I saw the workers spray painting the word "Stand clear of the moving platform" or something like that on the platform and it was really fascinating.  I'm looking forward to working the station on Sunday.

Agreed.

As for me, I was there today, as I was in downtown for an internship interview, so I decided to check it out. There was a good amount of people from the TA, and they were very helpful, guiding commuters/tourists around and providing a calming presence. As I was walking into the loop, a (1) train pulled up at around the same time, and one of the TA staff on the platform high-fived the t/o - they seemed to having a good time, getting the memories back.

Like Cait Sith said, they spruced up the station pretty nicely. This was my first time ever going into the loop, and I was amazed by the Beaux-Arts mosaic tiling on the wall - especially the one tile which has a sailboat on it. It was really beautiful, and the IRT had a sense of style. it's unique, definitely. 

I let one train pass until I got on the next one, already there were the poor confused tourists around, whom TA personell helped immediately. As I pulled out, there some people getting their videos and pics already...well, whatever. I'll probably come back w/ my camera in a few months to get some pictures as well.

As for the transfer w/ the (R), it's pretty simple. It's almost the same as w/ the old transfer, except you turn right instead of going straight ahead, climb up a few steps, and voilà, the loop platform is there!

That's pretty awesome right there.  Thank you for sharing with us :-)

That's pretty cool.  I have a feeling that even though its a short station, this might be better for the (1) as a whole.  We'll have to see but this is good news.  When I went through there on Tuesday, it seemed like the station was the cleanest I'd ever seen it and I saw the workers spray painting the word "Stand clear of the moving platform" or something like that on the platform and it was really fascinating.  I'm looking forward to working the station on Sunday.

That's pretty awesome right there.  Thank you for sharing with us :-)

That announcement played like every second. A lot more than it used to lol.

Well, this'll take me back to the old days when I finally hit that station up again. Lol, come to think of it, last time I got off at South Ferry it was the loop station! Never even saw the new station before it flooded out! All I need is the 9 train back.

Also, not to beat a dead horse, this talk about 'foamer' being a good thing, no. If you talk to ANYBODY who works in transit, from the very bottom to the very top (and believe me, I've heard it very high up), it's always a disparaging term for the obsessives. So what's the solution? Don't be obsessive. Do your thing, take your picture, keep out of my way. I might do the same thing another day.

Archived