MTA BusTime Discussion

User

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The icons should be shaped into something else, like maybe a bus or something.  

While I could probably fit two wheels on the side of a BxM18→, I couldn't on an X1↑. Also, I feel like the point on the bottom showing the precise location of the bus is important. Any other ideas for shapes?

I like it! I'm visual when it comes to transportation. When you click on the route will you be able to see a line showing the actual route? 

(on a side note) It's annoying when transit systems use only schematic bus route maps *ahem* NJ Transit *ahem*. I want to see a map and exactly where these buses go, Makes it easier to decide which route to take if a location may be between both, or where you can transfer to other routes, etc. 

It's also annoying when you go to their site and they say "which bus route would you like to see the schedule for?" I DON'T KNOW, let me see a map of the system!

These are issues I've come across when traveling to NJ, or somewhere else and deciding if I should rent a car, etc.

Conversion of stops to time won't be easy, you'd have to look at the physical characteristics of that area, Google live traffic, and whether or not traffic light(s) are in between to account for an average.

A better way might just be to collect data for a few weeks for all routes, and compute average speeds/variance between each pair of stops.

I like it! I'm visual when it comes to transportation. When you click on the route will you be able to see a line showing the actual route? 

I'm planning to add route lines soon, as well as stops, if someone's interested enough to want beta access.

A better way might just be to collect data for a few weeks for all routes, and compute average speeds/variance between each pair of stops.

That's likely what I'll end up doing, with adjustments for whether the bus is moving slower or faster than average. Live arrival times are common in other cities, and they're updated every few seconds with new location information.

For a few weeks?? Traffic can vary significantly from week to week and day to day so I don't think that would be enough.

Systems like these generally have the ability to add data as they go along. It'll start with just a few weeks worth of data, but then it'll grow more and more.

Btw, what's your website name? I'd like to see it.

I can't publish the site name because I don't yet have hosting, and the MTA will shut me down again if multiple people are pulling data directly from their servers. But anyone who donates anything at all can get beta access, and then I'll be able to pay for hosting. Anyone can PM me for access.

I can't publish the site name because I don't yet have hosting, and the MTA will shut me down again if multiple people are pulling data directly from their servers. But anyone who donates anything at all can get beta access, and then I'll be able to pay for hosting. Anyone can PM me for access.

Are you using the API or just pulling data off the web interface?

Well, according to earlier in this thread, the Bronx was being beta tested in October 2012, then later in October, there was unpublished, unofficial access to some Bronx routes, but it was buggy. Then it was announced on November 9. So I flubbed a bit on the timeline, but they started internal testing in October, and then it went public a little over a month later.

Well, according to earlier in this thread, the Bronx was being beta tested in October 2012, then later in October, there was unpublished, unofficial access to some Bronx routes, but it was buggy. Then it was announced on November 9. So I flubbed a bit on the timeline, but they started internal testing in October, and then it went public a little over a month later.

It's hard to base on that, since Sandy hit squarely in the middle of the silent launch and public announcement.

Are you using the API or just pulling data off the web interface?

I'm using the API, but it's apparently very resource-intensive to pull data for every single bus. It seems like the MTA may not be doing things in the most efficient way, though. I don't know that for sure.

Archived