MTA BusTime Discussion

User

Are there any updates on Manhattan's arrival of BusTime?

Getting closer.

126th Street's fleet is 99.9% GPS enabled. Aside from 1258 which is at Prevost, 5026 and 5027 are the only ones left without them activated.

Manhattanville is almost done with their fleet activation, just a small batch of 63-6400s and the majority of 6600s need to be up and running.

Quill and 100th Street have some activated here and there, 100th Street with the least but they are getting there.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting closer.

126th Street's fleet is 99.9% GPS enabled. Aside from 1258 which is at Prevost, 5026 and 5027 are the only ones left without them activated.

Manhattanville is almost done with their fleet activation, just a small batch of 63-6400s and the majority of 6600s need to be up and running.

Quill and 100th Street have some activated here and there, 100th Street with the least but they are getting there.

Yup, been noticing the circular antennas on the bus roofs lately.

Are there any updates on Manhattan's arrival of BusTime?

Getting closer.

I did some tallies when ttmg was down:

mrsimpilot.com/2013/07/bustime-installation-progress-for-manhattan/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love this app(and BusChecker) and am glad to hear Manhattan bus routes will be getting it soon. The M100 already has it, though. Is that because all their buses are enabled?

Right... The M100 runs out of Kingsbridge which is a Bronx depot, so since the Bronx has it already then naturally the M100 would too.  It's on the M34/M34A as well.

Getting closer.

I'm confused though... Why would Manahattan be fitting all of the buses with the Bus Time equipment when a lot of the RTS's will be retired soon?

Starting 10/1/13

All I can find officially is the MTA's press release from March that says "this year". Do you have some inside information? Also, do you know if any extra routes will be included, the same way the Bronx expansion included the B61, B63, M34, M34A, M100 and Q50? (Anyone with knowledge of the depots could probably answer this one, as I gather that's what it depends on.) And is it possible that some Manhattan buses won't be included in the update because they're served by Brooklyn or Queens depots? (Again, any depot expert could help here.) I'm going to have to use this info to update the app I'm creating.

All I can find officially is the MTA's press release from March that says "this year". Do you have some inside information? Also, do you know if any extra routes will be included, the same way the Bronx expansion included the B61, B63, M34, M34A, M100 and Q50? (Anyone with knowledge of the depots could probably answer this one, as I gather that's what it depends on.) And is it possible that some Manhattan buses won't be included in the update because they're served by Brooklyn or Queens depots? (Again, any depot expert could help here.) I'm going to have to use this info to update the app I'm creating.

Any route that is based out of a Manhattan Division Depot will be receiving Bustime. There will be some buses that won't have gps at first, such as the artics that came out of storage, or any buses from a boro without bustime.

Ok, looking at this page on the TTMG wiki, it looks to me like there are no buses from other boroughs served by Manhattan Division depots, nor are there Manhattan buses served by Brooklyn or Queens division depots, so this rollout will just complete the availability of Bus Time for all Manhattan buses.

Still, is there any more word about October 1? Is that when internal testing begins, or a public release?

Well, officially, it looks like the M60 belongs to the 126th Street Depot in Manhattan and the Q32 belongs to the Casey Stengel Depot in Queens.

Also, as others probably already know but I had to figure out, Acela Express works for the MTA, so I guess he does have inside info.

Right, that's why I brought those up. Queens will now have BusTime data for the Q50 (based out of the Bronx) and the M60 (based out of Manhattan). Manhattan will still be missing data for the B39, Q60, Q101 (all short routes in Manhattan) and the Q32 (a longer route). 

Maybe this is the real reason Queens is coming last. When they announce that a borough has Bus Time, the public expects all buses in that borough to have Bus Time. So they had to announce the Bronx before Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens, and they had to announce Brooklyn before Queens, as well. SI made sense as the first borough because it has the by far the smallest population and also the fewest bus trips, so it works as a test market. Then the Bronx had to come before the others. Once SI and Bx were online, they were confident enough to bring the big borough online. That sealed Queens' fate, since it had to come after Brooklyn.

Archived