32 hurt after Chicago train derails at O’Hare International Airport subway station

Harry

post-5097-0-24547100-1395664093_thumb.jpg
More than two dozen people were hurt, none seriously, after a train derailed inside a Chicago subway station early Monday, authorities said. About 32 people suffered minor injuries after the runaway train vaulted over the platform edge and launched up a pair of escalators that lead to O’Hare International Airport shortly before 3 a.m., authorities said. “The train actually climbed over the last stop, jumped up on the sidewalk and then went up the stairs and escalators,” Chicago Fire Department Commissioner Jose Santiago told WMAQ-TV. It wasn’t immediately clear what caused the wild wreck, but Santiago said officials were speaking to the train’s operator.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-24547100-1395664093_thumb.jpg

Is it a subway or commuter train? Various news reports aren't clear on which it is.

Subway...or as Chicago folks say, the L. And the specific answer, look at Kamen's response.

====

Pretty nuts this accident. I had to click the picture to believe it.

The problems are multiple.  She fell asleep at the wheel and the automatic brake stop at before the bumper didn't engage which puts the emergency on.  which would of stopped the train before the extensive damage.shown.  Damage is in the millions.

Monday's scene at Rosemont was a delight, despite having advance warning. Wasn't as crowded, but the bustitutions had made travel out of the transit center a hellish nightmare (our transit HQ is another 10 miles Northwest).

Some pictures here

But thankfully, things have gotten a little better as the week progressed; and as of today, they begun cutting out the lead car, and there's a chance (a very small one) that there might be service to the airport by the end of the weekend (my personal bet says the weekend after that).

Story: Here, and here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Monday's scene at Rosemont was a delight, despite having advance warning. Wasn't as crowded, but the bustitutions had made travel out of the transit center a hellish nightmare (our transit HQ is another 10 miles Northwest).

Some pictures here

But thankfully, things have gotten a little better as the week progressed; and as of today, they begun cutting out the lead car, and there's a chance (a very small one) that there might be service to the airport by the end of the weekend (my personal bet says the weekend after that).

Story: Here, and here

It went really well i heard, shuttle busses were put in immediently .

It points to a larger administrative with the cta (and metra/pace).

Hopefully change comes because the CTA is running in circles right now.

I wonder how the control center in the supernotsosecret location in the west loop dealt with this... Hopefully they were watching the news and video feeds rather than cartoons line when i was there ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It went really well i heard, shuttle busses were put in immediently . It points to a larger administrative with the cta (and metra/pace). Hopefully change comes because the CTA is running in circles right now. I wonder how the control center in the supernotsosecret location in the west loop dealt with this... Hopefully they were watching the news and video feeds rather than cartoons line when i was there ;) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They kept the buses moving; but the artics did do a number on the pavement at Rosemont.

And as far as administrative goes, there's a much bigger concern on safety and training. Go outside of the management aspect (or whatever the task force recommended) and just prioritize safety standards for rail and bus operators.

Archived