R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Why me? Why man? I always miss out the good stuff. Last week I miss the R32 (R)in my own damn area because of the dreaded activity called going to work.... tomorrow, TOMC and R188's on the (7) and I have to freaking go to work ...   <_<

My Canon Rebel T3i DSLR just sitting there on my furniture ..... this sucks...

I'mma miss them both because of something called getting sick smack on friday and the whole weekend. Still sick, I guess, third time in a row.

Don't worry about it, TOMC got cancelled. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rode 7821 today... They gotta re-align those things that surround the interior LED's of 7821. It was out of alignment and blocked part of the sign, still legible though. Overall, that set pretty much has minimal vandalism and is still good as new.

On another note, while waiting for it at Court Square, 7833-7843 passed on the other side. I was sitting straight infront of 7839, with sharpie all over that stainless steal next to the windows. Breaks my heart that these a**holes feel like they can vandalize sh*t like it ain't worth anything. 

EDIT: Out of curiosity, what happened on the R32 (R)? And if the TOMC runs tomorrow, the best picture one will take - express R188 in the middle of TOMC and an R62A, all three in one.

I saw that too! I was at Flushing and I was pissed. Sick of vandalism! I also saw dry brown graffiti on that set. :( >:( ugh

They should also get recordings of "Ladies and gentlemen, this is the last downtown stop on this train. The next stop on this train will be Brooklyn Bridge on the uptown platform" since I seriously doubt the conductors would want to say that upon reaching the last stop and the MTA wants riders to know they can ride around the City Hall loop.

I was recently on an R62A (6) where the conductor specifically pointed out that you could ride around the loop to the uptown platform, and to stay within the cars as the train went through the loop. I've also been on R142A (6)s where the conductor keyed the mic in the middle of the "last downtown stop" message and started shouting "LAST STOP NO PASSENGERS THIS TRAIN IS OUT OF SERVICE", when the train was just going around the loop to the uptown track, in service. It's more about how the conductor's attitude is than what model of train you're riding, really.

I hope the MTA orders all weekday afternoon R62A <6> conductors to get recordings of "This is a Pelham Bay Park-bound 6 train making express stops in the Bronx" and play it every single stop in Manhattan. That way, I can still hear the one thing that puts on a smile on my face no matter how bad of a day I had.

That message was pretty long, though. In my experience, it was sometimes to the point of having trains dwelling a long time in empty-ish local stations, or having conductors rush the computer to the doors-closing message. Generally, seeing the diamond on the front sign, or the map LEDs having the Bronx stations lit, or the next-train system showing <6> instead of (6) would probably be enough to determine whether it was gonna be Bronx local or express, so it's fine if the train says "This is a Bronx-bound 6 local train".

I was recently on an R62A (6) where the conductor specifically pointed out that you could ride around the loop to the uptown platform, and to stay within the cars as the train went through the loop. I've also been on R142A (6)s where the conductor keyed the mic in the middle of the "last downtown stop" message and started shouting "LAST STOP NO PASSENGERS THIS TRAIN IS OUT OF SERVICE", when the train was just going around the loop to the uptown track, in service. It's more about how the conductor's attitude is than what model of train you're riding, really.

That message was pretty long, though. In my experience, it was sometimes to the point of having trains dwelling a long time in empty-ish local stations, or having conductors rush the computer to the doors-closing message. Generally, seeing the diamond on the front sign, or the map LEDs having the Bronx stations lit, or the next-train system showing <6> instead of (6) would probably be enough to determine whether it was gonna be Bronx local or express, so it's fine if the train says "This is a Bronx-bound 6 local train".

It only says "This is a Pelham Bay Park Bound....(6) Local Train. The next stop is," as the conductors are suppose to put "This is a Bronx bound...."

Word is the 188s teething problems are real... My info is from an A Division TO..

Trains have opened up on the wrong side... Uncoupled in service... And from the operational stand point they are injuring older TO's (wrist and hand injuries with the throttle) as they somewhat changed it from the 142/142a specs...

A lot of older TO's aren't even trying to qualify on them and with the next pic coming up soon a lot of guys are jumping ship to the B Division just to avoid that altogether... Smh

Word is the 188s teething problems are real... My info is from an A Division TO..

Trains have opened up on the wrong side... Uncoupled in service... And from the operational stand point they are injuring older TO's (wrist and hand injuries with the throttle) as they somewhat changed it from the 142/142a specs...

A lot of older TO's aren't even trying to qualify on them and with the next pic coming up soon a lot of guys are jumping ship to the B Division just to avoid that altogether... Smh

Uncoupling and opening up on the wrong side is just plain scary especially considering how packed the (7) gets at times. I hope Kawasaki can resolve those issues quickly before something goes wrong.

Uncoupling and opening up on the wrong side is just plain scary especially considering how packed the (7) gets at times. I hope Kawasaki can resolve those issues quickly before something goes wrong.

I've heard it from a senior TO yesterday as we were discussing certain transit issues

His exact words " a lot of the older guys want nothing to do with the 188 they are running from them "

I told him myself to get out the A division in the next pick... If your trying to avoid anything NTT

I was also informed on a few swaps that will happen soon... R62 will return to the 4... And those 142A's on the 4 will go to the 6...

The 3 will be R62a again...

So the 4 will have R62/142s and the 6 will have R62As/142A's

I've heard it from a senior TO yesterday as we were discussing certain transit issues

His exact words " a lot of the older guys want nothing to do with the 188 they are running from them "

I told him myself to get out the A division in the next pick... If your trying to avoid anything NTT

I was also informed on a few swaps that will happen soon... R62 will return to the 4... And those 142A's on the 4 will go to the 6...

The 3 will be R62a again...

So the 4 will have R62/142s and the 6 will have R62As/142A's

Thats odd, why are some of the vets avoiding R188 training? Man the R188 has that many bugs in it? Even after Kawasaki's efforts to resolve the original problems with the first sets to roll out of the plant, then Pitkin?

Edit: Oh I see now, no wonder...

Well this is starting to sound worse then even the R44 fiasco in and its historical problems followed by the horrendous problems with the R46 in its intro in the late 1970's.

Edited by realizm

So many sets that are in the yard and many of them are conversions and new sets. And uncoupling/wrong side? I saw a set that opened the wrong side at Junction Blvd. Is that a test train or could it be the prob?

If it was vacant with signs posted indicating it is a test train with MTA prsonell and Kawasaki engineers present with computer equipment then yes thats a burn in test. But this sounds like whats described is a massive glitch where trains open on the wrong side and even being uncoupled due to mechanical problems in passenger service operation from the feedback other members have related from RTO personel.

Oh boy, we just *might* see a lawsuit coming up with the MTA suing Kawasaki at this point even though it has not been revealed. Shits just got real.

This explains alot as to why Bombardiar refused to even try taking up the R188 contract. Possibly, they really foresaw the possibilities for problems like this as we are seeing, cant rule this out even though the official statement is that they didnt find the contract to be profitable and didnt want to invest in facilities to complete the work.

Edited by realizm

If it was vacant with signs posted indicating it is a test train with MTA prsonell and Kawasaki engineers present with computer equipment then yes thats a burn in test. But this sounds like whats described is a massive glitch where trains open on the wrong side and even being uncoupled due to mechanical problems in regular operation from the feedback other members have related from RTO personel.

Oh boy, we just *might* see a lawsuit coming up with the MTA suing Kawasaki at this point even though it has not been revealed. Shits just got real.

This explains alot as to why Bombardiar refused to even try taking up the R188 contract. They probably really foresaw the possibilities for problems like this, cant rule this out even though the official statement is that they didnt find the contract to be profitable and didnt want to invest in facilities to complete the work.

Let's hope not but it didn't say TEST TRAIN Kawasaki so I guess so

If it was vacant with signs posted indicating it is a test train with MTA prsonell and Kawasaki engineers present with computer equipment then yes thats a burn in test. But this sounds like whats described is a massive glitch where trains open on the wrong side and even being uncoupled due to mechanical problems in passenger service operation from the feedback other members have related from RTO personel.

This explains alot as to why Bombardiar refused to even try taking up the R188 contract. Possibly, they really foresaw the possibilities for problems like this as we are seeing, cant rule this out even though the official statement is that they didnt find the contract to be profitable and didnt want to invest in facilities to complete the work.

I'm trying to figure out how that could even happen. Why the hell does the door control even go through the computer if there will always be a T/O and C/R on the train for the forseeable future? The golden rule of engineering is to make everything as simple as possible. There should always be a manual override if a computer is in control and safety is an issue. Yes, they're designing it to be ATO-ready, but if ATO isn't always active, put in the overrides. You don't even need a computer system to run the doors on those things. Have a set of wires for each side and you're good. Couplers and other "yard only" functions should be in a different system altogether so crap like this can't happen randomly.

Well I trust them. If this is what the T/Os they are aquainted with are saying this it might be true. Wrist injuries does happen on rolling stock. The Nanhattan Bridge for example puts alot of stress on the hands of the operators trying to keep up with the 25 GT timers on steep grades that can result in carpal tunnel syndrome over time. 

Edited by realizm

For some reason I am finding this very difficult to believe at all. Hmmmm.

Same here. For one, the R188's problems are still extremely minor on the grand scale of MTA new car problems. For another, there's no reason for a such a big change of plans in terms of equipment.