R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard that they had numbers on the roll sign up to 15 or something to signify a short turn or if they split a route up into two segments like if the (4) was split up one side would be (4) the other would be (10) or whatever number was available

They only go up to 13 on the signs...

1, 2, 3, 9, 13...red

4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12...green

7, 11...purple

They were there in case they wanted to give branches their own separate designations (ex... <5> would've been (10), <6> would've been (12), etc) but then the NTTs came along and since they don't display 2 digit numbers, it made them signs useless

They only go up to 13 on the signs...

1, 2, 3, 9, 13...red

4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12...green

7, 11...purple

They were there in case they wanted to give branches their own separate designations (ex... <5> would've been (10), <6> would've been (12), etc) but then the NTTs came along and since they don't display 2 digit numbers, it made them signs useless

There's also a green 14 or at least rumors of it.

7881-7885 is in service. Saw it on a <7> this morning. Not sure what it was linked up to.

Also 1961-1962-1963-1964-1965 are hooked up in consecutive order on the South end of a (7) train. 1961 has a full cab. They are NOT linked but coupled.

7881-7885 is in service. Saw it on a <7> this morning. Not sure what it was linked up to.I

Also 1961-1962-1963-1964-1965 are hooked up in consecutive order on the South end of a (7) train. 1961 has a full cab. They are NOT linked but coupled.

Doesn't make sense the R188 set is 7877-7881, 7882-7887.

Well I guess I'll throw it out there for the heck of it:

Some are discussing possible reasons as to why there were R142A cars suddenly on the Pelham Bay/Lexington Ave Local without stripmaps. In the video is the interior of car #7598. Note that its only cars # 7211-7590 that are or are slated to become, R188 conversion sets. It doesn't appear to be due to vandalism.

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0z8A_f-oFo&feature=player_detailpage

Credits: Urban Transit Network

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOMpU4kU7Gk&feature=player_detailpage

Credits: Urban Transit Network

Personally speaking, I'm pretty sure this indirectly may have something to do with the R188 order along with the R142A conversions as well as the general R62A swap between Westchester Yard and Corona Yard. Which is still ongoing.

Edited by realizm

I know but I'm just wondering why they have to put them consecutively.

For internal operations. That's the vague answer I'm going to give you. I'm not going to go into the details of the many reasons why. You'll just have to guess what they could be on your own and if you do it here, no I will not verify if your guess is correct or incorrect. Sorry for being vague but that's the best answer I'm prepared to give you.

People have stole car builder plates off of trains before so its not far fetched for someone to steal the strip map. Doesn't make sense for the TA to remove the 6 line stripmap while its still running on that

route. There's even a 68A car out there that's missing one of its side rollsigns.

People have stole car builder plates off of trains before so its not far fetched for someone to steal the strip map. Doesn't make sense for the TA to remove the 6 line stripmap while its still running on that

route. There's even a 68A car out there that's missing one of its side rollsigns.

Seriously, how do you steal a rollsign and which car is it?

2306-2310 is on the (6) . Probably borrowed since they might be short. I haven't seen any 72xx in service as of late.

Just rode on a 728x set earlier in the week. Unless you mean on the (7), in which case 7211 and co are still out.