R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just rode on a 728x set earlier in the week. Unless you mean on the (7), in which case 7211 and co are still out.

None of the converted sets have been in service. Not since 7211 was taken out for mechanical problems months ago.

Well, the (MTA) is not simply going to give up on the R188 project. They'll probably get all the non-converted sets on the (7) and run the line as a mix of R188 and R62A. Then they'll force Kawasaki to fix the issue with converted sets.  If there is a huge delay with fixing the converted sets, depending on the R188 contract, the (MTA) could file for compensation each day that the cars are late.

Well, the (MTA) is not simply going to give up on the R188 project. They'll probably get all the non-converted sets on the (7) and run the line as a mix of R188 and R62A. Then they'll force Kawasaki to fix the issue with converted sets.  If there is a huge delay with fixing the converted sets, depending on the R188 contract, the (MTA) could file for compensation each day that the cars are late.

I know that and I think you are right if this indeed happens.

If the converted sets have problems like 7211-7220+7899, what do you think would happen.

Maybe, this would be ranked as one of the worst lemons, like the R44/46 fiascos.

Once they figure out the problem with the converted set, The rest should go into service one by one.

I still have this belief that its the C car placement.

Why put it next to an A car? I think it should be in the 5 car set going (A,B,C,B,A)(A,B,B,B,A)

It doesn't matter where you put it, the train still gonna have problems. You can't just stick a brand new car in between old ones and expect everything to run all fine and dandy.

Think of it like this....

It's like taking a PS4 disc (7899) and trying to play it from off a PS1 (7211-20). Is not gonna work not without some serious upgrades

I love how everyone blames Kawasaki for this mess...

It doesn't matter where you put it, the train still gonna have problems. You can't just stick a brand new car in between old ones and expect everything to run all fine and dandy.

Think of it like this....

It's like taking a PS4 disc (7899) and trying to play it from off a PS1 (7211-20). Is not gonna work not without some serious upgrades

That may be, but Kawasaki is under contract to deliver a certain amount of cars under the R188 order.

To those wondering what will happen if by some chance, the converted sets cannot operate without problems, the MTA will not simply eat their losses. Kawasaki will have to somehow deliver ALL 506 cars or THEY will have to refund the MTA their money for breaking the contract.

I just wish I knew when the first converted sets came out of the barn to run in service since going in the barn to get it's CBTC install. I just don't recall it ever coming out and hence how one nugget of a rumor starts snowballing into something else.

I just wish I knew when the first converted sets came out of the barn to run in service since going in the barn to get it's CBTC install. I just don't recall it ever coming out and hence how one nugget of a rumor starts snowballing into something else.

It came out on the weekend of January 18,19.

So im on a R188 7 train and the doors wouldn't close on the train after the conductor repeatedly tried to close it. Eventually the announcement "Due to a mechanical failure this train is no longer in service". Every one gets out of the train then he close's the door. I noticed one of the doors indicator stays on but then finally close's. I noticed how he didn't switch the signs to "Not in service" nor did the conductor nor motorman get out. Then the train starts to move and we saw a bunch of people still on the 6th car of the train, While the rest of the train was completely empty. It looks like the conductor is still new to the R188s, Putting on the wrong announcement.

It came out on the weekend of January 18,19.

Yet it has been back in the barn since January getting it's CBTC install. So once again I don't recall it coming out of the barn to hit the road since going in to get it's CBTC install. Everyone should just relax. One day when the work is done it will come out and it won't come out until the work is done and it won't go in service until it's ready for service.

Funny, I could've swore the former 142A cars already had CBTC components installed as part of the conversion process when they were in Yonkers.

I thought the same once I saw those cabinet things (or whatever they're called) in the cab cars. I was told by a T/O that the CBTC is all in there.

Although the (7) has that one and only connection to the rest of the subway via the BMT, do R62As still use that connection to go to the (6) when an R188 comes to replace it? Isn't it quite a troublesome move to get these trains to the Lexington Ave Line? Does the (MTA) have their own internal set of trailers that can fit individual cars on them and transport to Westchester by road?

So what is the exact route these trains would take during the switching?

Although the (7) has that one and only connection to the rest of the subway via the BMT, do R62As still use that connection to go to the (6) when an R188 comes to replace it? Isn't it quite a troublesome move to get these trains to the Lexington Ave Line? Does the (MTA) have their own internal set of trailers that can fit individual cars on them and transport to Westchester by road?

So what is the exact route these trains would take during the switching?

OK, they do not use trailers.

I know they go down the Broadway Line and I can't remember the rest.