R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Railfans? Be nice.

As a railfan, I think it'd be a bit hypocritical of me to insult my own kind, no?

Most railfans don't have an issue with the swap - it's that small group of people who are trying to represent the thoughts of the "average passenger", and call railfans "foamers", that complain about the swap. I won't name names, but I think most people know who I'm referring to. -_-

But I disgress - we've been off topic long enough. I haven't been keeping active track of the R188s, how many are in passenger service at the moment?

As a railfan, I think it'd be a bit hypocritical of me to insult my own kind, no?

Most railfans don't have an issue with the swap - it's that small group of people who are trying to represent the thoughts of the "average passenger", and call railfans "foamers", that complain about the swap. I won't name names, but I think most people know who I'm referring to. -_-

But I disgress - we've been off topic long enough. I haven't been keeping active track of the R188s, how many are in passenger service at the moment?

Funny thing is I saw him on the (R) train last night...at 3 in the morning lol

About the announcements...LOL

I rode a R62A from Astor Pl last week.Somehow the CR got the recordings Mr Railfan made(or made themselves) and played it over the PA

About the announcements...LOL

I rode a R62A from Astor Pl last week.Somehow the CR got the recordings Mr Railfan made(or made themselves) and played it over the PA

I hope the MTA orders all weekday afternoon R62A <6> conductors to get recordings of "This is a Pelham Bay Park-bound 6 train making express stops in the Bronx" and play it every single stop in Manhattan. That way, I can still hear the one thing that puts on a smile on my face no matter how bad of a day I had.

They should also get recordings of "Ladies and gentlemen, this is the last downtown stop on this train. The next stop on this train will be Brooklyn Bridge on the uptown platform" since I seriously doubt the conductors would want to say that upon reaching the last stop and the MTA wants riders to know they can ride around the City Hall loop.

Of course, I don't except R62As to be on the (6) for long due to increased dwelling time and breakdowns, leading to less reliable service and more crowding and delays, and complaints from Westchester Crew and Upper East Side residents. It's funny how they're willing to severely downgrade one line to improve another that does not even need major improvements right now. I guess flushing riders are more important tgan lexington and pelham to the mta. Like how they see sea beach west end and 4 ave more than brighton

Edited by FlushingExpress

I hope the MTA orders all weekday afternoon R62A <6> conductors to get recordings of "This is a Pelham Bay Park-bound 6 train making express stops in the Bronx" and play it every single stop in Manhattan. That way, I can still hear the one thing that puts on a smile on my face no matter how bad of a day I had.

They should also get recordings of "Ladies and gentlemen, this is the last downtown stop on this train. The next stop on this train will be Brooklyn Bridge on the uptown platform" since I seriously doubt the conductors would want to say that upon reaching the last stop and the MTA wants riders to know they can ride around the City Hall loop.

Of course, I don't except R62As to be on the (6) for long due to increased dwelling time and breakdowns, leading to less reliable service and more crowding and delays, and complaints from Westchester Crew and Upper East Side residents. It's funny how they're willing to severely downgrade one line to improve another that does not even need major improvements right now. I guess flushing riders are more important tgan lexington and pelham to the mta. Like how they see sea beach west end and 4 ave more than brighton

Here we go again.....

Anyone ever tell you how weird you are?

I oppose the R142A switch too, but at the end of the day, it is what it is. As long as the (MTA) doesn't try to pull off a slick move like they did a few  years ago when they reduced the number of TPH, I won't really care.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-slashes-trains-1-6-lines-warning-claims-impact-small-multiple-benefits-article-1.158805

It's been a while since I last posted here, but I've had enough of your BS, so here goes....

Let's start with your first two paragraphs - how the crap are you expecting the TA to do that? I know that they don't always make the wisest decisions around, but seriously, if the authority were to be operated under your every whim and preference, nothing would get done. You want to hear it everyday? Fine. Get a freakin' tape recorder and play it yourself, whether in your room or at school/work. That way, you can be happy all the time. In regards to the Loop announcement - so what? Announcement or not, some people are going to stay on the (6) when it's looping around, if they want to or not - most crews don't go around checking for pax anyway once they arrive at Brooklyn Bridge. 

Third Paragraph - who the hell cares about complaints coming from the UES? As far as I know, it's service needs that guides decisions at the TA, not the whims of the passengers. "Severely downgrade?" GTFO w/ that. The Lex has countdown clocks and while the (6) may be losing it's R142's, the (4) and the (5) are there to satisfy your NTT fetish all you want. And yes, the Flushing does need major improvements now - it's signal system is antiquated, some dating back to the 1920's, and needs replacement now to combat the increasing rate of failures occurring on the line - which means replacing the current system with CBTC, which, if you didn't get the point already, needs NTT's to operate. So in that sense, yeah, Flushing riders are more important than Lex riders at the moment, since there is a signal system that is currently being replaced and needs new (or in this case, converted) trains as a result. And so what? They are all passengers, regardless of the line. They all need the subway to get to work, to family, to school, or for pleasure - and the improvements being implemented now are ensuring that the Flushing line remains operational for decades to come. 

/end rant.

But if this was a TL;DR post for you, FlushingExpress, then here is the shorter version of it:

91913bloomberg.jpeg

Let's just return to the topic, since this is about the remodeling of the 380/600 R142As, as well as the signaling system on the IRT Flushing Line. Ignore him, he's a never-ending troll.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Alright guys i spoke to a friend of mine who works for Westchester Yard , no names going to be mentioned but the R62As on the (6)<6> are staying with the Purple Stickers to end that speculation, reason being the (1) and (6) will be the only lines using R62As so there is no point anymore on removing them and changing, I also rode R62A 1733 yesterday and noticed that one of the Led lights got removed.. seems like Westchester are going to get rid of them in the near future.

Edited by R62AR33

Thought so on the pelham sets. No need to change them back to the yellow ones. The only ones that would be changed are the ones that goes to the 1, or maybe they leave those alone as well?

And smh, some ppl need to get over it already. The r62as are here to stay on the 6.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Even with it's antiquated signal system the (7) provides more reliable service than the (6). Plus the run is shorter on the (7) anyway. I'm sure the MTA could have waited for this whole ordeal but it's their money so we carry on. Not making sense is in the MTA's DNA so what's really to complain about. 

Have you gone back in the posts? It was explained why they did this.

Edited by NYtransit