Bedbugs found on at least three N line subway trains

Harry

post-5097-0-04827900-1407290196_thumb.jpg
Stand clear of the bloodsucking parasites! Bedbugs were discovered on at least three subway trains on the (N) line this week, authorities said. Two trains were taken out of service Sunday after the unwanted riders were found onboard some cars, officials said. And on Tuesday, a third (N) train was also sent to the Coney Island yard in Brooklyn for fumigation. Some of the bugs were found in seat cushions in train cabs, which are used by conductors and motormen, sources said. “When we found them, we exterminated them,” said Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Adam Lisberg.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-04827900-1407290196_thumb.jpg

Lol. Better call Rosco, but yeah this is very unpleasant news. Any correlation with the bums? I'd imagine they'd be like magnets for bed bugs. 

The funny thing is that I really don't think the actual passengers have to worry as much.  It's the (MTA) personnel that may have to worry because bedbugs like nice comfy areas, as those cushioned seats are a draw for them.  The bums obviously aren't in their area so that means that the workers may be bringing them from home or from some other area.

Yup, with hard plastic seats, they don't have an easy surface to stick on to compared to say the fabric covers on the local buses. I guess if this was a warning to the employees that have to sit in the cab, it makes sense. If this was about a warning to the passengers, my first guess would be the bums being a source of where the bugs can hang on and then jump off onto another person.

I don't see how this is gonna end up being a risk for the passengers, I'm not worried but the crews should be anf the TA's gonna have to do something about those cab seats with the fabric covers (IIRC most older cars have vinyl covers on those cab seats though). This is why our new buses don't have the fabric seat covers anymore, and across the hudson in NJ they're even getting MCIs now with vinyl seat covers.

Bed bugs don't give a shit if it's fabric, vinyl or hard plastic. They can and will live anywhere. Getting rid of fabric seats won't make it stop. Researchers are working on modifying bed bug genes so the queens eat their kids, but you can see how it would be difficult to have that band of the bug to take over the native population.

Archived