Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Riku said:

Question guys do you get your MTA ID at orientation or after the medical. I’m going to be so pissed if you took photos and got it the same day which means I gotta go back 

Lol! You get it on your first day & can begin using it that same day. Word of advice from the TSS: do NOT put the ID/pass in the machine on the bus, cuz ur screwed if the machine swallows it or it gets stuck. Good luck to you & congratulations! 

28 minutes ago, NewbieCR said:

Lol! You get it on your first day & can begin using it that same day. Word of advice from the TSS: do NOT put the ID/pass in the machine on the bus, cuz ur screwed if the machine swallows it or it gets stuck. Good luck to you & congratulations! 

Lol thanks and thanks for the tip, I was worried for a minute 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

A 7 year difference??? So I shouldnt expect one to come out into 2023.

Not exactly.  See,  right after that test was given,  there was a full hiring freeze,  so it was a few years before they started calling from that one. I woukd know,  I took that test and got hired from it. 

But there really isn't no time-frame. It varies depending on when they need people. 

1 hour ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Not exactly.  See,  right after that test was given,  there was a full hiring freeze,  so it was a few years before they started calling from that one. I woukd know,  I took that test and got hired from it. 

But there really isn't no time-frame. It varies depending on when they need people. 

Is there a hiring freeze right now? I know theres one for the buses.

17 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Is there a hiring freeze right now? I know theres one for the buses.

They're bringing people in, but the newest list has over 31,000 people and expires in 2022. Don't put off any job opps; it's going to be a while for the next exam.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

A 7 year difference??? So I shouldnt expect one to come out into 2023.

This list expires in feb 2022, a new exam could be given towards the end of next year or the beginning of 2021. I have a good feeling that they're going to bring out a new Promotion to Conductor exam next year though since the last exam 5716 expires in early 2021, and these lists are usually active for four years. 

I hope I'm right, because that means a new promo to T/o exam will be right behind it and I'm jumping on that asap. 

19 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

I'm a bit confused. You use to be a conductor, now you're reapplying? 

11 hours ago, J Cooper said:

I'm a bit confused. You use to be a conductor, now you're reapplying? 

Yes.  I didn't make it through probation.   Let's just say,  when they tell you be careful even when your not on the clock,  they aren't playing. Even if you're not doing anything wrong yourself. 

1 minute ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Yes.  I didn't make it through probation.   Let's just say,  when they tell you be careful even when your not on the clock,  they aren't playing. Even if you're not doing anything wrong yourself. 

How does the probation process work? If they catch you doing something wrong, you have to redo the whole thing over?

On 6/22/2019 at 5:54 PM, Jchambers2120 said:

This list expires in feb 2022, a new exam could be given towards the end of next year or the beginning of 2021. I have a good feeling that they're going to bring out a new Promotion to Conductor exam next year though since the last exam 5716 expires in early 2021, and these lists are usually active for four years. 

I hope I'm right, because that means a new promo to T/o exam will be right behind it and I'm jumping on that asap. 

..... What could happen. Just like exam 8094 this list could most likely get extended. Although MTA exams are no longer administered by DCAS. The TA follows DCAS mandates which is also governed by NYS Civil service laws that exams that are already administered can receive an extension. Exam 6601 has about 33K candidates. Not all candidates will receive a call. However, if the list does extend similar to 8094, expect the next conductors test to be administered by 2022 or 2023 at the earliest.

17 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

According to an internal memo,  there is a hiring freeze EXCEPT for "service delivery" positions. 

For some reason people are being called into 180 for processing: Bus Ops exam, Conductor, Train Op. (Are those under freeze) after processing of the current people scheduled?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

How does the probation process work? If they catch you doing something wrong, you have to redo the whole thing over?

Ikr like shit, life happens and you can get caught up in stuff, guess they expect you to on point on the job and off the job staying out of trouble 

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So how it goes is,  when you start orientation/school car, you are on probation for one year. After the year,  you are no linger probationary and a civil service employee. During thst probation,  you can be terminated at their discretion basically. Nine months in I was terminated. So I had to wait for the next test,  take it all over again,  now here I am waiting for my medical/final processing email. 

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

..... What could happen. Just like exam 8094 this list could most likely get extended. Although MTA exams are no longer administered by DCAS. The TA follows DCAS mandates which is also governed by NYS Civil service laws that exams that are already administered can receive an extension. Exam 6601 has about 33K candidates. Not all candidates will receive a call. However, if the list does extend similar to 8094, expect the next conductors test to be administered by 2022 or 2023 at the earliest.

For some reason people are being called into 180 for processing: Bus Ops exam, Conductor, Train Op. (Are those under freeze) after processing of the current people scheduled?

Evrythign except bus op,  RTO and any other positions deemed Service Delivery. Basically the jobs that are on freeze involves working in the office buildings. What we are waiting for are not frozen. They will continue to hire on a as needed basis until further notice. So for all those who are above 155x don't worry about the freeze. If they stop calling for a while,  it's because no positions are available yet. When they are,  they will resume.  

5 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

So how it goes is,  when you start orientation/school car, you are on probation for one year. After the year,  you are no linger probationary and a civil service employee. During thst probation,  you can be terminated at their discretion basically. Nine months in I was terminated. So I had to wait for the next test,  take it all over again,  now here I am waiting for my medical/final processing email. 

One year probation is crazy. Most places that have probation that are union it's 3 months. Did the Union fight your termination?? 

MTA doesn't sound like a union shop with some of these comments ive read. 

11 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Damn man, sorry to hear that but at least you're able to reapply. Noted on being extra cautious during the probation period!

9 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Evrythign except bus op,  RTO and any other positions deemed Service Delivery. Basically the jobs that are on freeze involves working in the office buildings. What we are waiting for are not frozen. They will continue to hire on a as needed basis until further notice. So for all those who are above 155x don't worry about the freeze. If they stop calling for a while,  it's because no positions are available yet. When they are,  they will resume.  

That’s a copy. Appreciate the clarification.

Just have that feeling soon we could expect a full hiring freeze across the board which could ultimately mean list extension in the future. 

Hey everybody name Is Jay I’m New to the forums. I’ve been reading the comments on here every once in a while trying to keep updated. My mother retired from conductor after 22 years. Father retired as well from MTA as a Supervisor In Station after 20+ yrs. 

I pretty much scored a 87.50 list # around 19k. They both told me actually I’m fine and they’ll call me. I am aware that seeing a lot of the vets retiring doesn’t play a big factor into being called sooner. Does anybody have any idea what  list number the agency is up to? Thank you God bless