Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

http://imgur.com/a/EIosm

latest update for 6601

8094 previous exam extended so  next year is 6601 hopefully, i have feeling they going to extend 8094 again ,lol

how strict is their background check, they have drug test ,medical test, background check and fingerprint and what else for mta?

First, I know you mean well, however we do have rules, in which one of them is to stay on-topic and not off-topic.

Second, from what I remember from going through the B/O hiring process back in early 2014, they do have a background check, however, providing you have all of your documentation, you should be good. In addition, there is also a drug test, medical examination, final processing, in which you'll provide your fingerprints, and that should be it. I know it's lengthy (over 600 pages and over 6,000 posts), however if you look through the Conductor Exam 8094 thread, you should be able to find some of your specific answers in that thread.

Edited by +Young+

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And when should the 6601 list be issued? February 2018?

Just take an educated guess and go with it. From talking to one of the "guests" of this site in person at an undisclosed CUNY location, at this point, I'm just focused on other things in my life.

My educated guess, honestly, is "whenever." I also misplaced my Candidate's Record of Answers for that exam, so I honestly don't even know my score, respectively.

Edited by +Young+

has anyone heard about more hiring due to the MTA's emergency plan announced today? I read a reference to 2,600 new hires but couldn't find details about the titles to be hired, and how many in each title. Track workers, of course, but any conductors?

With the (L)  shutdown coming soon, I doubt there will be an increase in hiring of conductors, if anything there will likely be an increased demand for bus operators. 

Edited by 161NewYork

has anyone heard about more hiring due to the MTA's emergency plan announced today? I read a reference to 2,600 new hires but couldn't find details about the titles to be hired, and how many in each title. Track workers, of course, but any conductors?

Those will be more maintenance personnel related positions. As 161 indicated there may be a hiring of more Bus drivers since (L) will shut down in early-mid 2019.

• 3 weeks later...

"NYC Transit Conductor, Exam No. 6601 (Updated as of 08/18/16)" 

Went on the MTA site today after forgetting this for a while. It hasn't even been updated for almost a year now....not even UPDATED with at least something? Jesus.

I'm not even living in NYC anymore. Had to move to Florida due to the increasing effects of gentrification where I lived in Brooklyn. I am now studying HVAC & Refrigeration, along with some PLC systems at a technical school here in FL. I don't even know if it'll be worth it to move back to NYC if transit comes calling all of a sudden. Any advice?

It is crazy how there has been no official update in a year. Very frustrating.

They had extended the prior exam, 8094, so they went back to that list after they finished hiring from the promotional conductor list.

I've heard they'll start hiring from 6601 (this list) early next year, 2018, so I would imagine they'll be releasing the official list sometime in October or November of this year.

What do others think?

I don't even know if it'll be worth it to move back to NYC if transit comes calling all of a sudden. Any advice?

Wait until the list comes out, see what your list number is, and take it from there. That's all I have to say...

"NYC Transit Conductor, Exam No. 6601 [/size](Updated as of 08/18/16)"[/size] [/size]

Went on the MTA site today after forgetting this for a while. It hasn't even been updated for almost a year now....not even UPDATED with at least something? Jesus.

I'm not even living in NYC anymore. Had to move to Florida due to the increasing effects of gentrification where I lived in Brooklyn. I am now studying HVAC & Refrigeration, along with some PLC systems at a technical school here in FL. I don't even know if it'll be worth it to move back to NYC if transit comes calling all of a sudden. Any advice?

The cost of living in Florida is much lower overall in most cities, and if you're concerned about gentrification, it isn't getting much cheaper here, so unless that job is paying $70,000 a year, you still likely won't be able to live in NYC on your own or you'll be living in some run down area. Seems like a lot of (MTA) workers live outside of NYC these days anyway.

The cost of living in Florida is much lower overall in most cities, and if you're concerned about gentrification, it isn't getting much cheaper here, so unless that job is paying $70,000 a year, you still likely won't be able to live in NYC on your own or you'll be living in some run down area. Seems like a lot of (MTA) workers live outside of NYC these days anyway.

That's the truth.... I know way to many MTA employees living in projects or worst. But if you also ask me that's bad money management on they part. Living and a busted area but got that new 2018 BMW. So I mean it can be up or down but i say live life as the way it was intended, to the fullest. And when your number get called you make the decision whether or not to take the job base on where you are in your life. Don't wait on them do your thing!

Edited by DrewMania

That's the truth.... I know way to many MTA employees living in projects or worst. But if you also ask me that's bad money management on they part. Living and a busted area but got that new 2018 BMW. So I mean it can be up or down but i say live life as the way it was intended, to the fullest. And when your number get called you make the decision whether or not to take the job base on where you are in your life. Don't wait on them do your thing!

My uncle recently retired as an (MTA) B/O, and left the area entirely. He had relocated to NJ some years ago and had been planning retirement for the last few years. He was a workaholic and I'm sure he would earn $70,000 - 80,000 or more annually with overtime the way he logged hours, but today even that may not be enough. I hear of some (MTA) folks earning over $100,000 a year with overtime, but they also complain about how much taxes is taken out, so you don't seem to win either way. One area I have seen some (MTA) workers is in Parkchester, in the Bronx. It is a working class area, and a place where you can still find a one bedroom for around $1,300 - 1,400 a month, with a commute that isn't terrible, but even there the rents have went up considerably, and you would need to make over $50,000 a year if you're on your own, so unless this guy expects to be earning well when/if he's ever called, the move back to NYC may not be worth it.

I know of quite a few people that have moved to Florida and have never looked back, and others that have come back to NYC because they hated it down there. Ultimately it depends on your resources and what you're looking for, but I will say that if you're young and single here it is very difficult unless you have a good salary. Everyone in my building lives alone and just about all of them are never home because they are always working with the high rents. I am usually the only one at home relaxing on weekends, so unless you have a partner or roommates, that lifestyle can become old real fast.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

"NYC Transit Conductor, Exam No. 6601(Updated as of 08/18/16)"

Another factor to consider is family relationships. If you are single, as VG8 said then money is your main concern. If you are in a relationship(s)/ married, they have to be understanding of your job. If you have small children or elderly parents that rely on you, then they have to be understanding.

That being said graduation from a trade school with hvac background can open up plenty of opportunities for you in Transit should you wish to exercise those skills given the recent pledge to hire more maintainers.

Top pay for Conductor as of February 2018 should be $31.6350, so starting pay should be 31.6350x0.70 = $22.1445/hr, presuming my math and contract knowledge are correct.

• 2 weeks later...

I know, it comes out when it comes out...

Exactly. Please do not keep bumping this thread unnecessarily...

In case you are unaware, for those who are on the current Track Worker and Bus Operator lists, like me, one of the things I like to do is to look back at the threads for valuable information, and these irrelevant posts are annoying.

Now please do not get me wrong. Myself, and the other moderators, want you folks to ask questions in order to avoid creating new topics about the same civil service examination and/or employment position, however if the post is either off-topic, not helpful or does not encourage a positive atmosphere, then perhaps...(I think you get the point)

Edited by +Young+

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to share this with the forum...I sent an email a while back to the exams unit and here was their response:

To: Gardner Dorante <gardner_dorante@yahoo.com> 
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 2:19 PM
Subject: RE: Conductor exam 6601

The list should be established by the end of the year.  You will receive a your letter of results in the mail once the exam is established.

From: Gardner Dorante [mailto:gardner_dorante@yahoo.com] 
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 1:53 PM
To: Exams Unit
Subject: Conductor exam 6601

Greetings,

I was wondering if there was an estimated timeline on when the exam would be graded/or list made public.  

Regards

Hope this helps.  In the meantime use this time to clear up anything that might delay you when your number comes up, get your check-ups and make sure everything is good with your health.  

Edited by Bk2Amityville

• 3 weeks later...