R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

This month's NYCT board meeting talks more about the R211. It's mainly just fleshing out the arrangement of cars:

- The MTA is looking to issue RFPs (request for proposals)

- The 940 cars for the B Division would be split into a base of 565 cars and an option of 375.

- So the base would include 565 cars for the B Division (referred to as R211A) as well as the 75 cars for SIR (R211S) and the open gangway prototype cars (R211T).

- The first option would include 375 R211A cars. (All this in the 2015-19 capital program)

- The second option would include anywhere from 280 to 520 cars to probably be ordered in the next capital program. 

Here's the link, on page 123.

Hmmm. Options beyond the initial number are confirmed. Lovely. At the max, that's 1,545 R211 cars. This will satisfy any needed service improvements on the B Division as well as wipe out all R46 cars and any remaining R32s.

Interesting. Sounds like the second option(280-520 cars) will be open gangway unless the prototype fails miserably.

I doubt it will though. Any builder that gets the R211 will have already been constructing open gangway cars for 20+ years. Secondly, there's no reason for it to fail since the cars should be 60 feet long. The swinging ends issue does not exist at that length.

Also, looking at the document, the MTA is skipping numbers like wild fire. The next order of flat cars and flat car frames is R252 and R254. This could mean that the next two passenger car orders after R211 could be somewhere between R260 and R299. Since there would be no need to build any new cars after the R62/A and R68/A replacements, one could only guess that the following order would be in the R3XX aka the generation after the next.

Edited by LTA1992

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it too soon to start assigning equipment to the (T)? That's phase 3 (below 63rd), and I don't even hear that being forecasted yet. Now, they seem to be saying phase 2 will face delays. So that will be more decades.

I heard if the (T) comes online will be out of Coney Island Yard?

The MTA should just extend to the Bronx and build an elevated yard while property is still cheap. When the Washington Metro was still young, one of the problems was that every train had to come out of one yard, and it wasn’t like that yard was connected to all the lines that used it.

Edited by CenSin

It might be Jamaica. Phase 3 includes a connection to Queens via 63rd St from 2nd Avenue.

It's more convenient/logical if the (T) were to be from Jamaica, as the trip from Coney to the 2nd Ave line is longer than that from Jamaica to the 2nd Ave line.

It might be Jamaica. Phase 3 includes a connection to Queens via 63rd St from 2nd Avenue.

Is this a full two track connection? ie Christie Street? Also with Phase 1 how far down 2nd Ave did they tunnel south of the curve on 63rd if at all.

I watched some of yesterday's board meeting and it was noted that the Chinese are in the process of qualifying themselves as a carbuilder for MTA. I don't believe they will be qualified in time for the R211 order but they will provide serious competition to Bombardier, Alstom, and Kawasaki on future procurement's especially if their cars perform well on other contracts they have won in US so far (Boston, Chicago, and potentially LA).

Is this a full two track connection? ie Christie Street? Also with Phase 1 how far down 2nd Ave did they tunnel south of the curve on 63rd if at all.

I don't they they done any tunnel work south of 63rd street and it will be a two track connection.