R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

4 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

The problem is, unless there isn't an expansion in Jamaica Yard, there is no way that ENY is gonna send their own fleet of R160s just for one line, that requires a distant deadhead on top of that.  I don't see this actually happening without Jamaica themselves moving some cars to other yards and making room.

Unless both yards agree to keep their assignments fluid and allow the other to maintain some of their cars (ENY vs Jamaica). I mean that the (M)‘s and in this scenario the (G)‘a 8-car 160s could be maintained in either yard. 

not every subway line has their equipment maintained at a yard 2 feet away. Think of lines like the (G) (currently), the (W), the (C), Rockaway Park And Franklin Av Shuttles, and more importantly the 42 St Shuttle. Lots of dead heading to get to a yard

Some of the (F) and (R)‘s R160s could get stored in Coney Island like they do now between rush hours

Edited by darkstar8983

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Right Now, 36-38th Street yard is planned to get an upgrade to handle more trains in anticipation of the 2nd Avenue Subway. This was funded in the 2015-2019 Capital Program and Construction is supposedly set to start this November: http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_head.html?PROJNUM=t7100441&PLTYPE=1&DISPLAYALL=Y

Thats all I can find on this topic. As for a new Yard, its high time that the (MTA) considers looking for a spot to place one. Although there aren't that many places within the city to place a new Rail Yard by.

17 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

If this yard can get put into operation it could serve as a storage space for (R) trains, freeing up space in Jamaica, since now the yard has to accommodate the (G) again and has always been overcrowded, even though I’m sure the gap trains that are needed for rush hour service come from Avenue X / Coney Island Yard up the Culver Line express track as opposed to coming from 71 Av via the local tracks of QB.

And it puts to bed the issue of the (R) not having a yard if it's ever rerouted away from QBL and onto a different line (be it Astoria or a brand new line in Queens). But if they were to stable (R) trains at 36th St Yard, then they should build yard access tracks that connect to the 4th Ave Line between 36th and 45th Streets, so that out-of-service (R) trains can enter and leave the yard without interfering with (D) service. 

2 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

And it puts to bed the issue of the (R) not having a yard if it's ever rerouted away from QBL and onto a different line (be it Astoria or a brand new line in Queens). But if they were to stable (R) trains at 36th St Yard, then they should build yard access tracks that connect to the 4th Ave Line between 36th and 45th Streets, so that out-of-service (R) trains can enter and leave the yard without interfering with (D) service. 

Yeah, unless a more radical idea is:

36-38 St yard assigned to the (D)

concourse assigned to the (B) 

(R) shifted to Coney Island (yes it has to deadhead via West End or Sea Beach, but no reversing moves around 9 Av)

obviously I’m kidding.

Edited by darkstar8983

4 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Unless both yards agree to keep their assignments fluid and allow the other to maintain some of their cars (ENY vs Jamaica). I mean that the (M)‘s and in this scenario the (G)‘a 8-car 160s could be maintained in either yard. 

not every subway line has their equipment maintained at a yard 2 feet away. Think of lines like the (G) (currently), the (W), the (C), Rockaway Park And Franklin Av Shuttles, and more importantly the 42 St Shuttle. Lots of dead heading to get to a yard

Some of the (F) and (R)‘s R160s could get stored in Coney Island like they do now between rush hours

Even the (J),(L) and (M). The (L) and (M) have storage yards at the end of their lines. But for maintenance needs, they need to deadhead to ENY.  The end of the (J) has tail tracks, but you can only store so many trains on them, so the rest have to drop out deadhead at Broadway Jct.

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (F) has it's own space shared with the (G), but that's different. Yes some (R)'s get stored at CIY, but that's still not enough in the 8-car (G) case. If this is to persist, then either those R160s are Coney Island assigned, or the (R) moves to Coney Island.

1 hour ago, R68ACTrain said:

The (F) has it's own space shared with the (G), but that's different. Yes some (R)'s get stored at CIY, but that's still not enough in the 8-car (G) case. If this is to persist, then either those R160s are Coney Island assigned, or the (R) moves to Coney Island.

I agree. Yard space should not stop C and G trains from becoming full length.

17 hours ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

I created a new R262 forum 

Maybe it's pointless to respond to this, but I guess I'll be the one to do it.

Just a couple things I wanted to point out:

1. We don't even know if there will be 'R262As'. The MTA could have a single builder handle the entire R262 contract (like how Kawasaki is expected to do with the R211s).

2. The (7) not getting R262s would have nothing to do with the R188s being in "amazing shape", as you say. It would be because the R188s aren't compatible with the Mainline IRT Lines. Most of the R188s are configured into 6-car sets, since the (7) (Flushing Line) runs 11-car trains. The Mainline IRT routes ((1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)) can only run 10-car trains; so that would not work. 

The R262s are for the Mainline IRT only. Flushing is not getting them at all.

4 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

2. The (7) not getting R262s would have nothing to do with the R188s being in "amazing shape", as you say. It would be because the R188s aren't compatible with the Mainline IRT Lines. Most of the R188s are configured into 6-car sets, since the (7) (Flushing Line) runs 11-car trains. The Mainline IRT routes ((1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)) can only run 10-car trains; so that would not work. 

The R262s are for the Mainline IRT only. Flushing is not getting them at all.

The 42nd Street shuttle also runs 6 car R62As and it will be getting R262s. Can the MTA not add some more 5 and 6 car trains for the 7 line. Also you and should post your thought in the actual R262 thread.

P.S: How do you type the route bullets?

6 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

The 42nd Street shuttle also runs 6 car R62As and it will be getting R262s. Can the MTA not add some more 5 and 6 car trains for the 7 line. Also you and should post your thought in the actual R262 thread.

Put the letter or number in parentheses, unless it’s a diamond bullet. Then you put it in brackets. There’s also a series of emojis with the route letters and numbers.

6 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

The (7) doesn't need R262s. They have more than enough R188s to cover all service needs. 

Plus if they did include more 6-car sets for the 262s to operate on the (7), it will only cause the line to have a mixed fleet (something that the (MTA) tries to avoid when possible).

Fleet uniformity = easier maintenance.

Edited by RandomRider0101

1 minute ago, RandomRider0101 said:

The (7) doesn't need R262s. They have more than enough R188s to cover all service needs. 

Plus if they did include more 6-car sets for the 262s to operate on the (7), it will only cause the line to have a mixed fleet (something the (MTA) tries to avoid when possible).

Fleet uniformity = easier maintenance.

It makes sense for the r262's to run on the [(1)], [(3)] and [(6)] because the r142's don't have LCD's like the r160's and r179's and it will be a hassle to displace the r142's from the lines that they are currently operating.

Also, the top leadership of the MTA needs to seriously take financial literacy. What are they doing with the billions of dollars that they got from Congress??? Ridership is not low. Trains and buses are packed during rush hours and on Saturdays. Ridership is increasing. 

Considering how long it takes for new subway cars to be built, delivered and tested, they should have included the r262's and whatever car fleet is replacing the r68's into this current capital program. Look at all the delays with the r211's, while the r44s and r46's are breaking down like crazy.

28 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It makes sense for the r262's to run on the [(1)], [(3)] and [(6)] because the r142's don't have LCD's like the r160's and r179's and it will be a hassle to displace the r142's from the lines that they are currently operating.

Also, the top leadership of the MTA needs to seriously take financial literacy. What are they doing with the billions of dollars that they got from Congress??? Ridership is not low. Trains and buses are packed during rush hours and on Saturdays. Ridership is increasing. 

Considering how long it takes for new subway cars to be built, delivered and tested, they should have included the r262's and whatever car fleet is replacing the r68's into this current capital program. Look at all the delays with the r211's, while the r44s and r46's are breaking down like crazy.

I'm with you here. I do however feel the (2)(5) should get the R262s, so at least they can do away with the combined strip maps.

I also feel that the (4) should get them, so that all their R142As and most of their R142s can go to the (3) line. Those 220 R142As need to be on a part-time line for obvious reasons.

I believe these assignments will work better in the long term; but I do agree with everything else you said.

Edited by RandomRider0101

45 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

line to have a mixed fleet (something that the (MTA) tries to avoid when possible).

The (4) runs R142s and R142As.

34 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

r142's don't have LCD's like the r160's and r179's

7 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

do away with the combined strip maps.

Or they can do what I suggest and put FIND screens in the R142s and R142As.

8 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

The (MTA) absolutely bleeds money and their leadership needs to be gutted. They get barely anything done for ridiculous amounts of money. Just look at the Second Avenue Subway, or the rollout of CBTC which was supposed to have been long complete over the whole subway according to some thread I forgot.

13 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Considering how long it takes for new subway cars to be built, delivered and tested, they should have included the r262's and whatever car fleet is replacing the r68's into this current capital program.

That would have been ideal, but I bet the (MTA) will wait until those car types are falling apart like the R46 to order their replacements.

Let me ask the last few posters if they know what the (MTA) really is ? I realize that these posts are in the subway forums but maybe we should take a step back and look at the structure of the agency and it’s reason for existing in the first place. LIRR and MNRR are also the core groups. NYCT and SIRT are later additions to the party as was the departed LIB. I think that many posters don’t realize that GC Madison aka ESA and the LIRR third track project are also funded by the agency. R211, M9 rail cars, proposed new subway cars, the NYC local and express bus system are also recipients of the money pot of  limited extra Federal funding . I agree that (MTA) is a piss poor money manager but subway car procurement is not the only thing that’s on the plate. Full CBTC rollout and the SAS are still on the agenda. Meanwhile all I have seen is subway cars mentioned. Open your eyes sometime. There are even forums on this site that can enlighten us if we open our eyes. My rant. Carry on.

10 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

The (4) runs R142s and R142As.

Yes, because they don't have a choice. There are significantly more R142s than R142As, currently 1025 vs. 220 (the other 380 R142As now run on the (7) as R188s). Even if those 220 R142As were put on the smallest IRT line, which is the (3) , they would still need to be supplemented by R142s.

Therefore, 100% fleet uniformity is not yet possible within the A division. The B division is a whole 'nother ballgame, as they have many more fleets in comparison, oddballs & all.

12 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Let me ask the last few posters if they know what the (MTA) really is ? I realize that these posts are in the subway forums but maybe we should take a step back and look at the structure of the agency and it’s reason for existing in the first place. LIRR and MNRR are also the core groups. NYCT and SIRT are later additions to the party as was the departed LIB. I think that many posters don’t realize that GC Madison aka ESA and the LIRR third track project are also funded by the agency. R211, M9 rail cars, proposed new subway cars, the NYC local and express bus system are also recipients of the money pot of  limited extra Federal funding . I agree that (MTA) is a piss poor money manager but subway car procurement is not the only thing that’s on the plate. Full CBTC rollout and the SAS are still on the agenda. Meanwhile all I have seen is subway cars mentioned. Open your eyes sometime. There are even forums on this site that can enlighten us if we open our eyes. My rant. Carry on.

The MTA leadership does not know how to manage money. They run the subway, buses, LIRR, MNRR and the tolls from many of the bridges and tunnels in NYC. Therefore, they make millions of dollars in revenue in addition to the billions of dollars they got from the federal government. 

Yet, they are not being transparent with riders in regards to how they are spending the money, they are falling behind in all the projects including CBTC, purchasing new subway cars, SAS, etc and they have the nerve to complain that they are "broke" and looking for dumb excuses to raise the fares.

18 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

They are falling behind in all the projects including CBTC, purchasing new subway cars, SAS, etc. and they have the nerve to complain that they are "broke" and looking for dumb excuses to raise the fares.

Yes, that was what I was complaining about, but Trainmaster5 come in asking if I know what the (MTA) is, which the answer is yes.