R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

The 262s are in the preliminary phase of the order process and the 62s are still... functional.

And the R68s are still within the twilight years of the standard subway car useful life. They're only in their mid 30s and they try to get at least 40 years out of a subway car class, though I think the New Techs might push that more towards 50. 

I mean, other than their cabs being claustrophobia inducing closets, the 68s aren't that bad. 

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@texassubwayfan555 There are many (MTA) employees both past & present that use this site. In fact, this site was started by MTA employees.

IIRC correctly, an employee who used to go by @East New York is the founder of NYC Transit Forums, along with some of his colleagues (someone will correct me where I'm wrong). 

These employees provide/provided us with service as commuters, and have provided us a resource to utilize as transit fans (NYC Transit Forums). We definitely owe them our thanks. 

That said, we as transit fans must be respectful and sensitive to their experiences as crew members; their jobs are not easy (especially considering the agency and city they work for).

It may not have been intentional on your part, but I hope I was able to provide a little insight. 

Again, anyone with more knowledge than me can feel free to correct anything, or even add on to what I said.

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

The site was created by Harry.

It doesn’t really matter who started it and/or why they did so.

that being said, I am not going to come down on Texas for not connecting the dots about the fact I’m RTO (I am NEVER going to call it “Service Delivery” thank you very much”), they’re human. It happens. 

Thanks for the correction.

Now I remember that name, I just got the names mixed up, my mistake.

And I'm sure it was an honest mistake on his part. 

But I do still believe employees deserve a little recognition once in a while, as y'all don't seem to get that often.

7 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

that being said, I am not going to come down on Texas for not connecting the dots about the fact I’m RTO (I am NEVER going to call it “Service Delivery” thank you very much”), they’re human. It happens. 

service delivery…. 

thats the first time I hear/see someone call it that

11 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

There are many (MTA) employees both past & present that use this site.

Thank you for telling me this, I will take that into account now. I did not mean for my comment to come across as rude.

Also I did not mean to derail the hole topic, lets get back to discussing the R211.

1 hour ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Also I did not mean to derail the hole topic, lets get back to discussing the R211.

Lemme help with that. 460 R-211’s (46 Trains) from the base order is enough to replace all 356 of Pitkin’s R-46’s. (356/8 = 44 1/2 Trains). The other 75 obviously going to Staten Island. Once the Base order is complete, 8th Avenue CBTC can continue onwards in addition to making things easier to getting work started on Fulton CBTC.

8 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Lemme help with that. 460 R-211’s (46 Trains) from the base order is enough to replace all 356 of Pitkin’s R-46’s. (356/8 = 44 1/2 Trains). The other 75 obviously going to Staten Island. Once the Base order is complete, 8th Avenue CBTC can continue onwards in addition to making things easier to getting work started on Fulton CBTC.

Not really enough cars if you factor in the (C) line with half of it still being 8 cars. It'll be dumb to still run mixed length trains on the (C) with R179s and 10 car R211s.

5 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Not really enough cars if you factor in the (C) line with half of it still being 8 cars. It'll be dumb to still run mixed length trains on the (C) with R179s and 10 car R211s.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be seeing the (C) not being mixed length trains any time soon. I would assume it's going to stay like that until the order options of the R211's come in. 

34 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be seeing the (C) not being mixed length trains any time soon. I would assume it's going to stay like that until the order options of the R211's come in. 

They can figure it out by the time most of the base order is in. CBTC won't be active until the at least 25% of the option order cars come in. They might keep a good chunk of R46s to make the (C) 100% full length until the option order cars come replace those cars,

Also no one is factoring that if congestion pricing does become a thing in 2023, They really can't retire the R46s until they have more than enough cars to keep up with the potential demand in ridership if this were to take place. R211s aren't going to come in very fast and are already delayed.

44 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Most likely yes. 

I think the first option order will be split between 207, Concourse (r211A's) and Jamaica (r211T's), displacing the r160's to the B.  

5 hours ago, Vulturious said:

By my (rough) calculations, the (C) would require the first 115 cars of option 1 to become 100% ten car trains. The remainder of option 1 and option 2 can then displace R68s on the (D) to the (N)(Q)(W) and R160s on the (E)(F)(G)(R) to the (B) (to then move over its R68/As), with additional cars for fleet expansion at all 3 yards. The R179s from the (C) and the 4 car R211 sets in option 2 can then bolster the (J)(L)(M)(Z) fleet.

15 hours ago, Vulturious said:

I don't see any reason why the R211 options can't immediately follow the base order without a gap in time.

Here’s what I believe should happen. The main order will go on the (A)(C) the R179 8 cars sets will go to the (G)  But the R179 19 car will stay with the (C) the (A) will be fully R211 all (A)(C) R46s will be scrapped. The  options order will than go the (C) and (SR) sending the R179s to the  (B)(D) After that the other option order will be for the (E)(F)(R) displacing the R160s to the (B)(D)(N)(Q)(W) all remaining R46s and 80%-90% of all R68s and R68As will be scrapped. The R211 open gangway will be sent to the (A)(E)(F) first. The (SF)  gets R160s. The little small amounts of R68s R68As  will be kept for emergency spares in the event of R211s breakdown but when the R211s are proofed to be realible R68s R68As will be scrapped. Any thoughts 

52 minutes ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

80%-90% of all R68s and R68As will be scrapped.

The R68/A’s are not going to be retired soon, as they still have about 10 years of useful life left, and are more reliable than the R46. It has also been discussed that even with all the options, the R211’s will not be enough to replace the R68/A’s.