W train coming back this fall

R32 3838

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can confirm that the (W) train timetable and route map is back up on the MTA website, although the (W) bullet png file has still not returned yet. The timetable is the 2009 edition, and the updated Second Av Subway (Q) timetable has also been uploaded.

where is this so called timetable?

I see theres a lot of talk with a car shortage and the R-32's being banned in the Montague tubes due to clearance issues. With the (L) shutting down supposedly possibly the tubes indefinitely for maintenance is it possible the (J)/(Z) or and (M) receive some R-143/160's from the (L) and that could bump a few sets of 42's for the (W)? Or is that banned also? I see where you guys are coming from with the car shortage and what not its a question.

The R42s had been running on the (M) through that tunnel for over a decade and a half before it was moved to 6th Avenue. The R42s also ran on the R when the R160s were coming in. How are they banned from running in that tunnel?

The R42s had been running on the (M) through that tunnel for over a decade and a half before it was moved to 6th Avenue. The R42s also ran on the R when the R160s were coming in. How are they banned from running in that tunnel?

Here is your answer:

R42s are also banned from Montague for the same reason the 32s are. Although the 42s have tapered sides, it's only a slight tapering unlike what the R46 and later cars have, so the 42s are unable to clear the new cables laid in the tubes.

it is nothing new as you could always see it in the internet archive

Not really, it was recently re-added back to the site when the W train arrival announcement came out. Originally, you can use wayback to see what the timetables were, now the W was added back.

And as for spoilers:

image.png

Not really, it was recently re-added back to the site when the W train arrival announcement came out. Originally, you can use wayback to see what the timetables were, now the W was added back.

And as for spoilers:

image.png

The W isn't listed as a tranfer. Where are you getting this from?

And as for spoilers:

image.pngTHt

The Q timetable on the website shows Astoria not 96th st where did you get this?

The w train schedule was always on the mta website since it was cut in 2010. You can find other eliminated route on their website too if you know the url. I find X51, X18, X20 schedule using url and they still on there website.

Or for more discontinued routes such as X32, M6, B23, etc, you can simply just Google search them.

Something is obviously not clear to me on this map. 

And as for spoilers:

image.png

The (Q) stops at 49 Street before heading to 2 Avenue, but that stop is marked as "part-time" rather than late-night service like all the other local stations along the Broadway Line. When exactly does the station get skipped? I hope it’s not while the (W) is running.

In fact, where is the (W) mentioned on this map anyway?

Something is obviously not clear to me on this map. 

The (Q) stops at 49 Street before heading to 2 Avenue, but that stop is marked as "part-time" rather than late-night service like all the other local stations along the Broadway Line. When exactly does the station get skipped? I hope it’s not while the (W) is running.

In fact, where is the (W) mentioned on this map anyway?

The more I look at it the more I think that he edited it

The more I look at it the more I think that he edited it

It does look like Aahd Javier edited it.

Yeah, that's the same code as the actual map on the MTA site: tr00qa15265_cs. They don't repeat those things. The two "Manhattan"s floating around are a giveaway. Good effort though.

Wait a minute, I did not edit this. The (W) is still a proposal at this point (even though it's coming back anyway.) And just to be clear:

How I found out about it is going to inspect element on the MTA Schedule webpage and redirecting the current Q timetable labeled "tqcur.pdf" to the new one, which in privacy concerns I can not say the name of the new timetable. (You know MTA law and stuff.)

@All: Photoshop, Illustrator and their many equivalents are quite readily available online. With time, patience and an eye for detail, one can make anything look legit. How do you think I make all the signs, maps and other stuff look like they do?

Regarding the various issues in this thread:

1) Everything below the 46s are banned from Montague until further notice because of clearance issues. During the renovation of the tunnels post-Sandy, something was put there that wasn't there previously. I presume the issue hasn't been addressed for the same reason why the Nassau-Montague link is still closed; it isn't a truly pressing issue.

2) Stop spacing: The Second Ave line as designed in the late '90s and approved in the early 2000s was always meant to be the "poor man's express" with large gaps between stops so as to not slow down the route too much.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the (W) is just a proposal at this point pending final approval, no?

"Technically", yes. But we all know it will be approved as it is the most logical pattern. Though why they don't run the (N) straight to 57th Street on the express after SAS opens is a mystery to me.

This is why I say that Phase II needs to be modified to end at 3rd Avenue and 149th. Not only would you take many passengers away from the Lex by doing this, you'd also take some passengers away from 7th Avenue as well. This is the only way I'd see anyone switching from the Lex to SAS.

Very true. If the frequencies are half decent, they'll be more likely to use it over the (2)(5) trains. Those people still need to go shopping along 86th street and go to work in the Union Square area or areas further south, so the (T) would have to make sense to avoid tons of backtracking and an overall longer commute.

I fully agree that 149th & 3rd would be a better terminal for Phase 2. It will cost more than terminating at 125th & Lex, but I believe we would get a lot more out of extending the line - ever so slightly - into the Bronx. By having stations at 149th and 138th streets, the (Q) would be able to pull a sizable amount of riders off the (4) and (5) trains, because (2) and (6) line riders would be able to transfer directly to the SAS while still in the Bronx. It would also allow them to run much more SAS service in the Bronx in the long-term. A 125th/Lex stop will have a transfer to the (4), (5) and (6), but the current layout of the 125th St station will force the (MTA) to dig deep in order to be able to fit the (Q) platform, which will add substantial cost to Phase 2. The transfer between the Lex and the SAS could be long or cumbersome (or both), which could limit the Q's usefulness in being a relief line for the 4 and 5. And if they ever decide to extend into into the Bronx after building 125/Lex, that station will substantially limit the number of trains that could serve the Bronx, because some trains will still be needed to serve 125. I think the project as a whole will benefit far more if we can get just one or two Bronx stations early on, even though it will require the added expense of an underwater tunnel.

@LTA1992: 49 Street is the closest station to Times Square north, especially with the exits and entrances at 47th Street. The combined headways of the (N) and (R) are not and those of the (R) and (W) will not be enough for that station, which is why there is always a third line stopping at the station. Besides, switching at 34 Street allows the (Q) a straight run without interference from the merging (N) trains.

I fully agree that 149th & 3rd would be a better terminal for Phase 2. It will cost more than terminating at 125th & Lex, but I believe we would get a lot more out of extending the line - ever so slightly - into the Bronx. By having stations at 149th and 138th streets, the (Q) would be able to pull a sizable amount of riders off the (4) and (5) trains, because (2) and (6) line riders would be able to transfer directly to the SAS while still in the Bronx. It would also allow them to run much more SAS service in the Bronx in the long-term. A 125th/Lex stop will have a transfer to the (4), (5) and (6), but the current layout of the 125th St station will force the (MTA) to dig deep in order to be able to fit the (Q) platform, which will add substantial cost to Phase 2. The transfer between the Lex and the SAS could be long or cumbersome (or both), which could limit the Q's usefulness in being a relief line for the 4 and 5. And if they ever decide to extend into into the Bronx after building 125/Lex, that station will substantially limit the number of trains that could serve the Bronx, because some trains will still be needed to serve 125. I think the project as a whole will benefit far more if we can get just one or two Bronx stations early on, even though it will require the added expense of an underwater tunnel.

An underwater tunnel that will only get more expensive as the years pass by. So it would be financially better in the long run to get it out of the way now.

Archived