ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

50 minutes ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

Fire all the way, I was one of those 98’s that got pushed back for exam 2000’s. I’d give  anything to have a second opportunity at fire but I’m passed the age limit.

same as you, I took this as a plan B. It all depends on you now tbh. Two totally different jobs, if fires your dream job then you already have your answer. 

If u notice I said take this until fire or just wait for fire. The end result is def gonna be Fire. 

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, 2nice said:

Faced with a tough decision. Got called for Pre- employment and I just took the physical for fdny firefighter. I'm expected to be in the next June class, worse case maybe next dec (a year away). should I start Mta n then leave for fire, or just wait for fire. Firefighter has always been my dream job, train operator was just the backup. Just looking for opinions.

I had a similar decision to make back in June.  My list number is in the low 200s for Train Operator and I'm currently a Bus Operator.  I received a Pre-employment letter from DSNY around the same time I got my Pre-O letter for Train Operator.  I decided to put off the T/O position and pursue Sanitation because it's my number one choice.  I missed out on a class this year by about a hundred list numbers and will have to wait until next summer.  Still don't regret declining the T/O position because if it doesn't work out with DSNY next year or I end up hating the job, I can always reinstate my list number and take the T/O position.   It was a difficult decision to make because I knew I was giving up seniority as a T/O but ultimately I decided to pursue the job I wanted the most. 

6 hours ago, 2nice said:

If u notice I said take this until fire or just wait for fire. The end result is def gonna be Fire. 

I saw you said you passed physical, is that everything from cpat, and the medical/stairs at headquarters, the 1.5 mile run? If so it’s now how certain are you to pass the academy at fdny? 

Dealing with probationary studying in school car and training for fire might cause some issues. And if fire request you to come in for anything you won’t be able to if you’re under probation in transit. 

Me personally would hold off on mta and keep my schedule free for fire, maybe spend last minute vacays with family, friends before hand because fire will eliminate all of that once you’re in.

11 hours ago, 2nice said:

Why did it take that long.. how much earlier should a person get there so they can be out early ?

Luck of the draw once I got there...they were short staffed in the lab and all of the current employees getting pulled in for random tests go first since they are on the clock...there were people who got there after me that went before I did.

There's no need to arrive an hour before to line up. They're only calling about 20 people per day so it's not gonna make a huge difference if you're 1st or 20th. What you need to watch out for, are the lines for open house. If you see a long line of 20-50 people, don't get on it. Just go straight to the front desk to sign in and go up. 

When I went on 11/2/18, I got on this line around 7:15 thinking it was for train operator. It wasn't until 7:25 that some guy went through the line telling everyone to go up if they were doing pre-employment for train operator.

Edited by nipaaaa

3 hours ago, Nexdup said:

This is truly exciting i hope the mimentum continues. Good luck to all still waiting for my letter seems so close but yet so far. 

Agreed

3 hours ago, Nexdup said:

This is truly exciting i hope the mimentum continues. Good luck to all still waiting for my letter seems so close but yet so far. 

Agreed 16xx. Was thinking middle or end of next year. Now it looks like maybe the end of this year possibly 

Wondering if anyone has the answer to this. I'm sure majority of people that take city exams take more than 1. What happens if u leave your city job while on probation for another city agency. U don't like the new title or something bad happens. Can u still go back to the previous title being that u left while still on probation?

3 hours ago, Mspearls said:

I’m sure this has been explained somewhere but I haven’t been able to find it. Can someone explain the deferment process? How long can we defer and what happens when you call to have your list number reinstated? Are you put to the back of the list?

You will be taken off the list for up to 1 year, until you reinstate. When you reinstate, you will be added back to the list and called with the next batch of hires to continue the employment process. (Or to start training, depending on where you deferred)

1 hour ago, 2nice said:

Wondering if anyone has the answer to this. I'm sure majority of people that take city exams take more than 1. What happens if u leave your city job while on probation for another city agency. U don't like the new title or something bad happens. Can u still go back to the previous title being that u left while still on probation?

You need to have one year in title and be off probation for you to be able to come back from another title. 

I'm not entirely sure how it applies to probationary employees, if at all. (Since I've had a classmate resign, come back and resign again)

8 hours ago, 2nice said:

It’s frown upon but it isn’t impossible. Some people do leave one title during probation and come back without starting from the beginning. But that isn’t for everyone. Remember while on probation your trying to keep your job. (Good way to look at it) your not sure why that person resign or what that person said to management before they resigned. But it is possible to do so. Hey some people luck is better then others. Lmao! 

7 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

You will be taken off the list for up to 1 year, until you reinstate. When you reinstate, you will be added back to the list and called with the next batch of hires to continue the employment process. (Or to start training, depending on where you deferred)

So I just mail in the form saying that I decline employment and call back when I’m ready. Then wait for them to call me again. Correct?

1 hour ago, DrewMania said:

It’s frown upon but it isn’t impossible. Some people do leave one title during probation and come back without starting from the beginning. But that isn’t for everyone. Remember while on probation your trying to keep your job. (Good way to look at it) your not sure why that person resign or what that person said to management before they resigned. But it is possible to do so. Hey some people luck is better then others. Lmao! 

Just called the exam unit n the lady told me that u must have 1yr and be off probation in order to come back. I'm sure it happens ALL the time when someone leave a city agency while on probation for another city agency. There's no ways u just lose out.

3 hours ago, 2nice said:

Just called the exam unit n the lady told me that u must have 1yr and be off probation in order to come back. I'm sure it happens ALL the time when someone leave a city agency while on probation for another city agency. There's no ways u just lose out.

Correct that’s what i’ve always heard! But in some cases people have came back depending on the reason you resigned in the first place. Like those who’s in the services. And go on military leave. I’m sure they’ll make a exception for them when they return. 

13 minutes ago, rcabrer1 said:

Just received an email inviting me back for the medical and that I'm being considered for the Nov 26th class. What does the medical entail and have you guys ever been considered for a class when provisionals were being done? Thanks in advance.

Outstanding news, my third PE and piss test is Wednesday the 7th. (List 68*)

Quick question, what’s your list number, date of last PE and date for upcoming medical.

Medical exam will be a questionnaire of your medical history, eye exam, hearing exam, sugar level dip test, ekg, body mass and I think lung capacity test. 

There might be more, that’s what I had to do to get my metro north job and was told NYCTA is  similar. 

Once again congratulations, pass this and you have the job.