Q114 Reroute in Nassau County and NYCT Schedule Changes for Summer 2017

BM5 via Woodhaven

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/170424_1000_Transit.pdf

1) Q114 Reroute in Nassau County (Pages 136-140)

SERVICE ISSUE: The Q114 provides limited-stop service between Jamaica and Far Rockaway via the intermediate neighborhoods of Springfield Gardens, Brookville, Rosedale, and villages in the Town of Hempstead. Through Inwood in Nassau County, the Q114 travels along narrow streets with many curb cuts, causing delays. In addition, traffic congestion caused by an at-grade railroad crossing further decreases reliability for the long route. The existing travel path in this area requires many turns, has closely spaced bus stops, and adversely affects service reliability.

RECOMMENDED SOLUTION: To provide more reliable service by using streets not subject to intermittent traffic congestion caused by the railroad crossing, to discontinue several turning maneuvers, and to utilize wider streets that are more conducive to bus operations, revise the travel path of the Q114 to use Nassau Expressway between Mott Avenue and Bayview Avenue instead of Lawrence Avenue, Wanser Avenue, and Doughty Boulevard. This revision would discontinue five bus stops in each direction, and customers would be required to walk approximately 700-1,700 feet.

ESTIMATED IMPACT: The net result of the recommended revision would be no change in annual operating cost, as there would be a minimal decrease in travel distance.

PLANNED IMPLEMENTATION: Summer 2017

2) NYCT Local and Express Bus Service Changes Effective July 2017

What will occur:

BROOKLYN:

- B2 headway will increase from 20 to 30 minutes during weekday midday periods

- B3 headway will decrease from 15 minutes to 12 minutes during Sunday morning periods, and 9 minutes to 8 minutes during Sunday afternoon periods. Headway will increase from 10 minutes to 12 minutes during Sunday evening periods

- B14 headway will increase from 20 to 30 minutes during Sunday morning and evening periods, and from 15 minutes to 20 minutes during Sunday midday periods.

- B17 headway will increase from 12 to 15 minutes during Sunday midday and evening periods, and from 10 to 12 minutes during Sunday afternoon periods.

- B20 headway will increase from 15 to 20 minutes during Saturday afternoon and evening periods

- B31 headway will increase from 20 to 30 minutes during the weekday midday periods, from 10 to 12 minutes during the PM rush, and from 15 to 20 minutes during weekday evenings

- B32 headway will decrease from 30 to 20 minutes during the AM rush

- B45 headway will increase from 20 to 30 minutes during Sunday mornings, and from 15 to 20 minutes during midday and afternoon periods. 

- B47 will see minor decreases in AM rush and evening headways, but minor increase in PM rush headways

- B60 headway will increase from 10 minutes to 15 minutes during Saturday midday periods, and from 15 to 20 minutes during Saturday evening periods

- B83 headway will increase from 12 to 15 minutes during Saturday morning periods

THE BRONX:

- Bx10 headway will decrease from 10 to 8 minutes during AM rush

- Bx20 headway will decrease from 20 to 15 minutes during PM rush

MANHATTAN:

- M8 headway will increase from 20 to 30 minutes during weekday middays and evenings

- M9 headway will increase from 20 to 30 minutes during weekday evenings

STATEN ISLAND:

- S40 headway will decrease from 15 to 12 minutes during Sunday midday and afternoon periods

- S46 headway will decrease from 30 to 20 minutes during Sunday mornings

B15, X28, X37, X38, M20 will see weekday running time adjustments

Bx8 and Bx32 will see Saturday running time adjustments

All these headway changes and runtime adjustments will end up costing the agency $410K more to run service. 

I wonder what they mean by "trip adjustment" on the S40/90 & S46/96.

Anyway, with the Q114, I can't stand their laziness when it comes to adding stops along a new route. If they can't add any stops along the Nassau Expressway itself (even though it's not really an expressway and has traffic lights) then at the very least, they should add one on Bayview between Lord & Grove, and Mott between Henry & Church.

Alternatively, they could've had it take Bayview-Doughty-Mott and have it make stops along the way.

What they could've done (if they wanted to make the tradeoff between serving commercial areas vs. residential areas) is have it take Bayview-Doughty-Burnside, and leave the areas near Rockaway Turnpike with just the n31. But at least it would've still been making stops there.

Bx29 will run one hour later

I thought they had already added 24/7 service when they added it to the Bx24.

I wonder what they mean by "trip adjustment" on the S40/90 & S46/96.

Anyway, with the Q114, I can't stand their laziness when it comes to adding stops along a new route. If they can't add any stops along the Nassau Expressway itself (even though it's not really an expressway and has traffic lights) then at the very least, they should add one on Bayview between Lord & Grove, and Mott between Henry & Church.

Alternatively, they could've had it take Bayview-Doughty-Mott and have it make stops along the way.

What they could've done (if they wanted to make the tradeoff between serving commercial areas vs. residential areas) is have it take Bayview-Doughty-Burnside, and leave the areas near Rockaway Turnpike with just the n31. But at least it would've still been making stops there.

I thought they had already added 24/7 service when they added it to the Bx24.

I would say the trip adjustment is decreased runtimes. Increased runtimes were listed separately under the changes.

I don't understand the AM Bx10 changes. I think the service is fine, especially to 231st. If anything that bump in service should go to the Bx7. I suppose the Bx20 change is an attempt to address the overcrowding in the evenings, but it does nothing to help the Bx7. I would go back to running artics on the line during parts of the PM. Also disappointed with the B2 and B31 changes. Ridiculous headways.

Those lanes really aren't made for stopping; either through or turning arrows, so it is set up more like an expressway even with the lights.

But it does seem ridiculous that they would just cut out all those stops and not replace them in anyway.

Increase s40/90 to 12 minutes on Sundays?

How about increasing service during AM and PM rush on s40 and s44 since people can't get on the bus or are forced to stand in front of the white line by the driver - violating Federal Law in the process?

Who is?

Looks like Grand Ave will get them and they would be delivered by December 2017. It's also said that there would be charging stations at Williamsburg Plaza.

Also to note BYD, Nova, New Flyer, and Proterra were asked to give a presentation on all-electric buses and only Proterra and New Flyer were accepted (even if Proterra isn't structurally qualified to run under MTA). It also says the MTA would order 5 electric buses from New flyer in a future board action.

Who is?

NYCT transit is.

The buses will be based out of (*sigh*) Grand Avenue.

The five Proterra buses will operate out of the Grand Avenue bus depot in Queens, and will utilize depot chargers and an en-route charging station at Williamsburg Bridge Plaza in Brooklyn.

Below is a Proterra bus, btw

140905_JUICE_Proterra.jpg.CROP.promo-med

I would say the trip adjustment is decreased runtimes. Increased runtimes were listed separately under the changes.

I think trip adjustment means they're taking a trip from one timeslot and moving it to another. (So instead of having it leave at 6PM, have it leave at 7PM and adjust the other trips accordingly). The thing is that they have it for both middays & PM rush hours, but the last column says a 0% change in revenue mileage, so I'm not sure what the deal is there.

Those lanes really aren't made for stopping; either through or turning arrows, so it is set up more like an expressway even with the lights.

But it does seem ridiculous that they would just cut out all those stops and not replace them in anyway.

Fair enough.

Increase s40/90 to 12 minutes on Sundays?

How about increasing service during AM and PM rush on s40 and s44 since people can't get on the bus or are forced to stand in front of the white line by the driver - violating Federal Law in the process?

PM rush isn't as bad generally (I've seen people get left behind by the S94, but at the same time the S44 usually has spare capacity. Of course the issue is if you need to travel west of Jewett).

AM rush, well as I've mentioned before, one way to solve that would be to restructure the S42/54 to provide an additional local route along Richmond Terrace (service would be increased on the S52 as well, since it would be the sole route covering Jersey Street). 

Proterra is a different company being used by the MTA, but both specialize in electric buses.

Designline was later renamed Environmental Performance Vehicles (EPV) but has no connection to Proterra besides what buses they produce.

Interesting. I haven't heard of either of them.

The Designline Eco-Saver IV, I believe it was called. They were soon put out of service because of mechanical issues with the buses. Hopefully, they worked out the kinks with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

It was not because of mechanical issues. They failed to pass all of the tests, and the order was delayed by a year and some change.

Oh god they getting the Proterras

3 year lease on 5 of them potato looking buses, 1 wireless charging station along a route and 6 wireless charging stations in the depot.

Urgh.... I just KNEW this was coming [emoji20] and yeah,they DO look like potatoes [emoji14]

With Proterra clinching a lot of contracts with big agencies, this was no surprise. The electric model of the Xcelsior and LFS have not been proven to be buses of choice yet. Proterra, along with BYD are strictly electric bus manufacturers with the tech in check, so they currently have more experience in this field than the latter.

I was almost sure they'd get BYDs seeing as how that bus passed all of the tests with flying colors.

Are there even bus stop signs for the Q114 in Nassau?

There are, but that is the responsibility of Nassau County to place. Finding the stops alone can be a daunting task, if you are not a regular. All it says is the traditional "No Stopping/Bus Stop" on a small sign.

For example: Find the stop on this corner

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.626144,-73.7362472,3a,75y,7.77h,82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWnA0IuhoXUpMHPBEfeGYoA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Archived